Any Good Recycled-Paper Notebook?

EBGBs

Hi, I am wondering if there is any good notebook made of recycled paper, or at least eco-friendly in some way? I made a quick search in the forum but don't think I saw any topic on this yet.

By 'good' I simply mean suitable for use with fountain pens for notes, journaling and quick sketching – I wouldn’t mind a bit of texture or something not pure white in this particular case.

My small experience with recycled papers so far has been grey/ beige stuff absorbent enough to make a F nib line look like it came from a Sharpie. Has recycled paper improved since then?

Thank you for your advice and feedback.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBGBs

• bluebellrose

• inkypete

• Lucas Barros

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not found any 100% recycled notebook that has been ok for fountain pen. Clairefontaine make some claims around eco friendliness of their paper so that may be worth checking out.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

There is nothing eco-friendly about recycling paper. For every 100,000# of paper to be recycled, the facility produces ~35,000# of bleach & soap permeated waste that goes into a landfill. Much of this is the coating that comes from smooth papers that so many of us fp users seem to prefer. Paper comes from trees, & will naturally decompose. That's the best recycling option: let it decompose & enrich the soil. This is from information I got during a course by TAPPI. I will be happy to provide the pdf to anyone who wants it.

Recycling paper requires that the fibers be broken down & beaten before being re-constituted as paper. Unless the recycled paper is going to be coated, the short fibers inherent in the recycled paper will cause it to be prone to feathering at the very least.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

Yes please to the offer of the pdf with the relevant info. And thanks in advance.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 3 months later...

Try the sugarcane paper. Sustainable earth from Staples. Muji has some good recycled notebooks and unbleached paper writing pads and notebooks. Unbleached is good for the environment.

IMO, no one knows what the hell is in recycled paper.............so it can be ball point safe, but I'd not risk a cheap fountain pen on the junk, much less a delicate '20-30's nib.

Regular paper is a renewable resource........wood, cotton and is controlled to exactly what is in it. Not chunks of cardboard, colored cereal boxes....which is not safe as is, due to chemical leakage of the print, small bits of plastic..

Recycled...glass bottles is safe. Recycled PET plastic is a poison.....can you be sure your PET bottle is virgin? Which is safe.

If you are just going to stuff cheap paper into a printer....and use a ball point, recycled paper is ok. But..............do you want shading?

If so you will have to spend twice as much for a ream that should last you three or more years, on 90g laser paper............It's not something to stick into a printer.....in it's too good.

You are not saving the world by using recycled paper, just having a PP paper that don't do your ink or pen justice.

It's hard enough finding good paper....which will cost more, because it was well made, and sized properly.

OH, don't use Ink Jet Paper for fountain pens, it is designed to absorb ink jet ink rapidly, so feathers with fountain pens. Combo.....Laser-Ink Jet paper is a compromise and can not because of the Ink Jet compatibility be as good as pure laser paper.

If one is going to cheap out, buy an inexpensive Chinese or Japanese pen.....don't cheap out on the paper or the ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

if you're not worried about being looked at weirdly, you could take your pens and inks and try them out on the tester recycled notebook at Muji. They have a table with a few notebooks available for testing.

So far I have only tried Platinum inks. They seem to do fine but then Platinum works on my worst paper

Edited by bluebellrose

• 3 years later...

"Papel Reciclado Chamex 75g". Not sure if it's sold overseas, but you could find it in Amazon.

photo5132086899534572148.jpg

photo5132086899534572147.jpg