How To Write With Golden Color On Dark Blue Paper?

bikhaab

Hello all,

I am trying to write on a dark blue paper (paper source) with a golden color. I use to use a golden-color ball point uni-ball 1.0 mm. However, 1.0 mm nib is too wide and I need more precision.

I ordered some golden color ink samples for fountain pens from Goulet Pens and they do not work on dark blue paper at all. I did some search and it seems that it is not possible to use fountain pens to write with golden color on a dark page. Is that true?

If fountain pens are not an option, do I have to use a dip pen? Is there any entry-level dip pen you would recommend that is similar to Pilot Metropolitan Medium nib? What golden ink I should use for the dip pen?

Thanks in advance.

Sample writing using uni-ball 1.0 mm pen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1umEH9cZepIvsn2EJY5r-IN0naxXwBtXG/view

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corona688

• bikhaab

• ENewton

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Inks are generally transparent. You'd have similar problems color-printing on a blue page too.

What you're looking for is gouache, i.e. paint. That contains zinc oxide crystals to scatter light and make it opaque. You obviously can't put that in a fountain pen.

All dip pens are "entry level" in that the pen bodies are cheap and interchangeable and nibs are cheap disposables. I don't know what nibs are easily available where you are, but for ordinary writing I'd use a Hunt/Speedball 512 or Hunt/Speedball 513EF, which are fairly solid spoon nibs with somewhat fountain-pen-like points, if less durable.

Edited by Corona688

You should look for gold calligraphy ink, or gold sumi ink intended for copying sutras.

Yes, you will need a dip pen. A Zebra G nib would work well for a beginner, but it sounds as if you want a thicker line than a G nib would give you, so maybe a Speedball nib would be best.

I just found an article that might interest you:

https://thepostmansknock.com/using-gold-calligraphy-ink/

One of the new Noodler's Boston Safety pens might also work. But supplies are limited at the moment -- and I suspect a dip pen will be cheaper, even if you have to replace the nibs fairly often.

Depending on how thin a line you want, you might want to look into getting a crow-quill, but definitely check at an art supply store for various brands besides Speedball (a lot of my calligrapher friends swear by Hunt and Brause nibs, but I have no personal experience with them).

Of course if you want to get REALLY fancy, you can use real gold leaf.... I took a workshop in using it years ago and the instructor completely freaked everyone out by taking a sheet and just crumpling it up and blowing the "crumbs" off her hands. It's been a long time since I've done it, but basically you put down a layer of gesso, which is slightly hydrophilic (i.e., absorbs water), generally with a small brush. When you're ready to do the gold leaf, breathe lightly on the surface to make the gold leaf slightly moist (some people use a straw for this part). Then lay down the gold leaf over that and burnish it till it's smooth.

There are probably better descriptions/videos online (I'm remembering from several decades back).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Depending on how thin a line you want, you might want to look into getting a crow-quill

You will - appropriately - murder your first bunch of crow-quills. If you want a flexible point, the Hunt 99 is a lot more forgiving and less scratchy, though you'll probably murder a few of those too. A point can't tell you when you've flexed it too far, neither will it instantly break - it will work a few dozen flexes then *poink*.

The 512 and 513EF are rigid lettering nibs which will tolerate 21st-century writing pressures.

Edited by Corona688

Thank you so much for your responses. So I realize that fountain pens are not the way to go.

I just ordered Winsor & Newton Opaque Calligraphy Ink, Gold from Paper and Ink Arts based on one of the links shared above.

I am settling on Speedball 512 nib. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for an oblique pen holder that works with Speedball 512 nib and possibly Speedball 513 EF?

Speedball makes an oblique holder which should accept most anything, but what do you want an oblique for? It's helpful if you're left-handed, or trying to use certain flexible nib writing styles (a 512 is not a flexible nib).

On the side, I am trying to learn Spencerian following Michael Sull's tutorials, so I thought maybe using a oblique pen holder is a good practice for me anyways, even though 512 nib is not flexible enough to allow me doing much line variation.

If one has to use a fountain pen, you could get a blue shimmering ink from J. Herbin or Diamine and write on your blue paper. In that way the golden glitters would be visible and the base colour sort of disguised in the background. However I suppose the final result would not be satisfying. I did try writing with a Pilot Parallel and a shimmering ink on black paper, and the result was not too bad but rather average.

Hm, well. There's a cheap Speedball "sketching" set which contains nearly every suggestion in this thread -- the 99, the 512, and even a bunch of crowquills plus all necessary holders - no oblique however. That plus an oblique holder perhaps?

And then there's a cheap Speedball Oblique Set which includes one oblique plus a bunch of nibs suitable for the purpose -- duplicates as you're bound to break a few. They're way too sharp for my taste actually but I don't do that sort of caligraphy.

Between those two you'll possess a lot of options, which at this point may be better than getting a lot of the wrong thing. You can mix and match between them. And if there's any kind of big art store in your vicinity they're likely to have both as Speedball is an American product.

Edited by Corona688

Look for the thread "Experimenting with Gold (Powder)" started by The Real Scuba Steve. As you read through the thread, you might find ideas to try. There are other threads, too. Luster dust in yellow or blue ink?

Great. These are great options from Amazon. The ink options from J. Herbin sounds good too. At some point I will give it a try.

I also found the following items in John Neal Bookseller in may search:

1 - Nikko G nib (N113): It seems that people like this nib because of its smoothness

2 - Hunt oblique pen holder (H23): Cheap pen holder, but might not be the perfect fit for this nib

3 - Peerless/ Zilver oblique holder (H48): This is a better option at 13 dollars.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

John Neal Bookseller is very bad... for my wallet :D I'll be able to give a more comprehensive review of some of those nibs when they finally arrive. Hopefully this week but international is always touch-and-go.

Consider skipping Speedball and opting for one of the adjustable oblique holders from P&IA or JN instead -- they're worlds better! I like cushioned straight nib holders like General's cork one and Nikko G's for general playing around, mostly with sumi ink.

Our local calligraphy instructors want anything but Speedball these days (i.e. Mitchell round hand sets, G nibs, Gillott, etc. depending on the type of class). Speedball's nibs aren't what they used to be and, at least to me, their holders feel cheap and uncomfortable.

And Winsor's gold ink is shimmery as it goes on and continues to shimmer as it dries. Very pretty stuff. Enjoy! If you like that you'll probably love Finetec's golds.

I will probably stop suggesting speedball when my john neal bookseller's order gets here... Weeks late :angry: Meanwhile it's all I can get, and very limited quantity at that. Every nib is precious.