Robert Oster Signature - Melon Tea

namrehsnoom

Robert Oster Signature - Melon Tea

Robert Oster is an Australian ink maker that is well-known for its unique range of colours. On his website, he describes our shared love quite eloquently: "Robert Oster Signature originates from one of the most famous wine producing regions of the world, the Coonawarra district of South Australia, an idyllic setting with great influence on the senses. There is my inspiration. It's a joy to share it with you." Well, we are certainly fortunate to have inspiring ink makers like Robert Oster to satiate our thirst for glorious inks.

fpn_1519413887__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

In this review, I take a closer look at Melon Tea. Catherine from Sakura provided me with a sample of this ink to play around with - much appreciated! This particular incarnation of a Robert Oster ink is a kind of brown-olive, with a chameleon trick. Let's get this out of the way before continuing with the review - this ink looks different when viewed in daylight or under artificial light. To illustrate, I've taken a picture in both lighting conditions and placed them side-by-side. Under artificial light, Melon Tea leans towards the green, while in daylight it's definitely a brown-looking ink. A strange effect, and just something to be aware of. My scanner simulates daylight, so the scans in this review will show the brown side of this ink.

fpn_1519413907__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

The ink provides good contrast with the paper, which is good. It writes smoothly even in finer nibs - it doesn't feel dry at all, unlike some other RO inks. All in all a satisfying writing experience. Colourwise I prefer the ink's looks under artificial lighting where it is a nice murky olive-brown. In daylight, the ink looses some of its charm (my personal opinion).

fpn_1519413916__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Melon Tea shows subdued shading, with not too much contrast between the light and darker parts. I prefer my shading this way, finding it more aesthetically pleasing. The ink itself is a complex mixture with multiple undertones. In washes, the pink undertones in the ink easily come to the surface which provides for nice-looking effects.

To show you the impact of saturation on the ink's look & feel on paper, I made some scribbles where I really saturated portions of the paper with ink. This gives you a good idea of what the ink is capable of in terms of colour range.

fpn_1519413946__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Like most Robert Oster inks, Melon Tea has no water resistance to speak of. Even short exposures to water obliterate your writing. All you're left with are some pinkish smudges. This is also evident from the bottom part of the chromatography. Smudge resistance is also lacking - the ink smudges easily, but at least you're left with perfectly readable text.

fpn_1519413931__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

I've tested the ink on a wide variety of paper - from crappy Moleskine to high-end Tomoe River. On every small band of paper I show you:

• An ink swab, made with a cotton Q-tip
  • 1-2-3 pass swab, to show increasing saturation
  • An ink scribble made with an M-nib fountain pen
  • The name of the paper used, written with a B-nib
  • A small text sample, written with an M-nib
  • Drying times of the ink on the paper (with the M-nib)

Melon Tea behaved perfectly on all paper types, with no visible feathering - not even on Moleskine paper, which is quite a feat. On the other hand, the ink looks rather sickly on Moleskine paper, something I also noticed with other RO inks. Overall, the ink dries fairly quickly near the 10-second range.

I also show the back-side of the different paper types at the end of the review. No troubles there, except with the Moleskine paper, which shows a bit of bleed-through. All in all, a very well-behaving ink.

fpn_1519413960__robert_oster_-_melon_tea
fpn_1519413972__robert_oster_-_melon_tea
fpn_1519413990__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Inkxperiment: cave of swimmers
I've recently started to experiment with ink drawings, keeping things simple and more-or-less abstract due to my lack of drawing skills (which can use lots more practice). But I find it to be a fun extension of the hobby, and have found single-ink drawings a nice challenge. For this drawing I got my inspiration from the Cave of Swimmers in the movie "The English Patient." I used a Q-tip cotton swab to draw some circles and surrounding dots. This is the backdrop for the cave paintings. The surrounding border was done with Melon Tea, smeared out with a moist Q-tip. The resulting drawing gives you some idea of what can be obtained with Melon Tea in a more artistic setting.

fpn_1519414002__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Conclusion
Robert Oster Melon Tea is an olive-brown ink with some chameleon properties. I quite like the ink's look under artificial lighting, less so in the more dull brown colour shown in daylight. The ink behaves superbly on all paper types, writing smoothly and with good contrast even in the finest nibs. I'm personally not smitten with this particular Robert Oster creation. I would have liked it much better if it kept its greenish tinge in daylight. For drawing, this ink has some potential, due to the complex undertones that easily surface in washes.

Technical test results on Rhodia N° 16 notepad paper, written with Lamy Safari, M-nib

fpn_1519414022__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

fpn_1519414038__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Back-side of writing samples on different paper types

fpn_1519414053__robert_oster_-_melon_tea
fpn_1519414067__robert_oster_-_melon_tea
fpn_1519414080__robert_oster_-_melon_tea

Edited by namrehsnoom

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VivaTerlingua

• Cyber6

• migo984

• Sakura FP Gallery

Thanks for the review. I had been making a first draft wish list/shopping list for the Baltimore Pen Show next weekend, and was undecided about this ink. So this was a really timely post for me. I like the color but I'm thinking that it's enough like other inks that I many not get this one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstanedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for another great review. I appreciate the time you must put into doing these.

I find RO Melon Tea to be one of the disappointing inks from the brand. I don’t like the nondescript colour nor the feel of it from the pen. A “Friday afternoon” type of ink....

Verba volant, scripta manent

Melon Tea, Bronze, and Khaki are my favorites from Robert Oster... I think I definitely have a type.

I am with you!!!... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Melon Tea is very paper dependant... i love how the hue seems to change. Below is a sketch from my daughter. She loves to wash of Melon Tea (those pink-peachy hues are fantastic!!!)

The pic was taken with indoor lighting, I had to adjust brightness (it was kind of dark)..

fpn_1519851679__melontea-fpn.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Another beautiful drawing from your daughter, Cyber6! She is gifted!

On some of the pictures in the review (not on the drawing); Melon Tea looks fairly close to Monteverde Moonstone - maybe less saturated.

I am with you!!!... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Melon Tea is very paper dependant... i love how the hue seems to change. Below is a sketch from my daughter. She loves to wash of Melon Tea (those pink-peachy hues are fantastic!!!)

The pic was taken with indoor lighting, I had to adjust brightness (it was kind of dark)..

fpn_1519851679__melontea-fpn.jpg

What an awesome sketch! I can't get over how inks of this hue are so complex, and this artwork really shows that off.

Awesome, comprehensive review. Thank you!

I'm intrigued by the color. I'll keep an eye out for it to see how my feelings toward it evolve before deciding on a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I thought it would be a little warmer, good to know it seems to lean towards the cooler side of the color (at least on my monitor :D)

That drawing is beautiful!

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

Great review, thanks! I really like this color and just purchased a bottle. Plus, I think it has one of the best names.

Kevin