Lamy Vibrant Pink

lgsoltek

Here is Lamy's latest LE: Vibrant Pink. In terms of colour, I'm slightly disappointed because it's rather subdued and is by no means vibrant. Saturation is medium. In terms of performance it's a major letdown: it writes rather dry, with little lubrication. It doesn't work with flex nib at all. As you'll see in the writing sample below, it causes lots of railroading.

But there's something different about this ink which is probably the reason why it's called "vibrant" (even though I would't agree with this term). There are some very tiny (silvery?) particles/glitters suspended in the ink. They are not the golden or silver kinds of glitters you find in J. Herbin, Diamine or De Atramentis. These seem to be much smaller in size, they don't settle to the bottom as fast as the other brands' particles, and frankly these are really subtle. You can hardly see them in your writing. They could be spotted relatively more easily if you apply a lot of ink on paper and look for them against the light.

Splash

(Golden-to-greenish sheen around the edge. It's more noticeable in the splash and much less obvious in writing. The sheen is of a rather matte and subdued kind. It's not bright, and certainly not vibrant at all. Notice also the tiny white spots in the image. Those are the glitters.)

fpn_1519322654__spl.jpg

Sample

(copy paper)

fpn_1519322618__sample.jpeg

(close up)

fpn_1519322621__sample_closeup.jpeg

Sheen...

(The sheen is hard to see in writing. Under sunlight.)

fpn_1519322608__sheen_sun2.jpeg

fpn_1519322613__sheen_sun.jpeg

(One thing quite impressive about this ink is that when it's wet and drying, it reflects a golden light which is really pretty. But that disappears as it dries, leaving behind a matte and understated sheen.)

fpn_1519322638__drying.jpeg

and Glitters

(Look at the white and yellow dots.)

fpn_1519322649__shimmer.jpg

fpn_1519322603__shimmer2.jpeg

and a Youtube video showing the glitter in sunlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKt5hzRc2Y

Comparison

(Compared with Montblanc Pink. The Montblanc one is more saturated, slightly redder, and looks somewhat greyish in writing. Tomoe River paper.)

fpn_1519322627__comp_mb.jpeg

(Frankly the Montblanc one has more visible sheen. L: Lamy. R: Montblanc)

fpn_1519322633__comp_mb_sheen.jpeg

(with some other inks. Look at Solferino. THAT's what I'd call vibrant. Toucan Magenta is NWM - not worth mentioning. Is it Montblanc Miles Davis' sister?)

fpn_1519322601__comp.jpeg

Miscellaneous

(A full page of Lamy Vibrant Pink on Canson sketch paper, with bleach. Note that the white spots are from the bleach, NOT the glitters - they are not visible here.)

fpn_1519322654__fullpage.jpg

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• TSherbs

• Honeybadgers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Thanks for the review. This one is a maybe for me. I'd have to see an exemplar in person, and maybe sample it first, because I suspect it's not going to be an exact color match on my screen. OTOH, it's cheap enough that if I buy a bottle and don't like it, I'm not out a lot of money.

Also OTOH, though, you've piqued my interest on KWZI Raspberry....

Ruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Another thorough and nicely-presented review, Lgsoltek!
Agreed, the sheen and fortunately, the glitter, are so slight as to be almost non-existent after the ink dries. I do like the ink though - love the color! For comparison, I only have one other pink so I may not be as discriminating as someone with multiple pink ink experiences.

Your reviews are eye-candy regardless of the ink. Thank you.

Thank you for the review. :) It's a nice pink, but I have several nice pinks, and I don't use them very often.

I've never seen R&K Solferino before. That looks nice. :)

Thank you for the great review. I am a pink fan, but not this shade.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Excellent and very helpful review. I’m interested in the matching pen, but not in the ink. The ink is not what I hoped it would be, based on the color of Al-Star’s anodized aluminum barrel. That sheen is rather unflattering to that shade of pink too, in my subjective opinion.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It looks less saturated in this review than in several images I've seen around, that's actually more appealing to me than a full right-in-your-eye pink.

The comparison with Solferino is to show what a fully saturated ink is, I assume.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

This looks like another flop like charged green. Why not just make another batch of petrol, this ink is too pale to be usable and show off that sheen.

Lamy continues to baffle me.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

LG, thank you! I love these kinds of colors. I got mine from Dromgooles - I love those guys. Now what ink are you going to use as your chaser ink to remove the stains?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

... this ink is too pale to be usable and show off that sheen.

??

Not in the pics above with a nice wet broad nib....

LG, thank you! I love these kinds of colors. I got mine from Dromgooles - I love those guys. Now what ink are you going to use as your chaser ink to remove the stains?

I would have used Doyou but I dont have it with me. So I just ignored the stain. I realised that the stain doesnt bother me much. It now has Diamine Earl Grey in it. Well see whether Earl Grey does anything to the stain.

(I found out that FPN on mobile devices will eat up all my apostrophes.)

Edited by Lgsoltek

This looks like another flop like charged green. Why not just make another batch of petrol, this ink is too pale to be usable and show off that sheen.

Lamy continues to baffle me.

For me I wouldnt say its too pale and unusable but it is indeed not as vibrant as its name suggests.