Pure Pens Ink - A Taster

The Good Captain

Pure Pens based in Newport, south Wales, have launched a series of their own branded and 'Bottled in Wales' inks and this short comment features just two of the series, which arrived in the post this morning. There are far more details on their website and no doubt, there will be many more reviews and comparisons in the coming months but I just wanted to show a couple of images.

I just wanted two colours at the moment - Celtic Sea and Saltire. I also purchased one of the TWSBI Eco T pens from them - blue to use with the Celtic Sea one but more about that on another occasion.

fpn_1519237424__pure_pens_celtic_sea.jpg

Celtic Sea is a lovely colour, with tones of a relatively light blue/green that really do make me think of the sea. Very pleasant to use and it flows well.

fpn_1519237440__pure_pens_saltire.jpg

Saltire is wonderful. Just my sort of colour and even with the F nib on a TWSBI 580, there is a definite red sheen which isn't always easy to see on a scanned image.

Judging by comments made on Twitter and Instagram, there will be more colours available, which is very exciting. I don't know where the inks are made but based on the slight aroma of one of them, I have my suspicions.

A great new product range to ad to PP's extensive arsenal and I can only see them being firm favourites. Especially if a blue-black shade is offered sometime!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• The Good Captain

• inkstainedruth

• migo984

Great, my friend! I like them both but the salty number has the better touch for me. Also, the red comes out fantastically (at least on my screen)!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I agree; these are nice inks. I’m enjoying the 3 colours I have (Saltire, Cadwaladr & Pendine Sands). They are good value, and I like the practical glass bottles. I too have my suspicions about the maker...... :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Saltire looks yummy. I was a little disappointed when I saw their written exemplar of Cadwaladr (as compared to the swab on the cap lid in their photo) -- being darker and more blood red than the other photo had led me to believe.

If they had one for either Tintern Abbey (which I've been to) or Portmerion (where they filmed The Prisoner TV series), I'd be seriously considering making an order (in spite of what is probably exorbitant shipping charges to this side of the pond...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

These two look great!

What is the smell like? I wanted to ask this before I even read that the smell resembles another maker's, I just don't like foul smelling inks! (Though that seems to be somewhat subjective with some of us liking certain inky smells, others seem to get a headache from!)

Thanks for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sorry, I forgot.... Is the smell a jentle one of phenol?

No, not phenol. The characteristic 'fusty' smell that certain ink dyes have. Nothing detrimental at all, and certainly not indicative of something wrong. Just the way they are!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 10 months later...

Thank you for your short review. Although I find all of the Pure Pens inks interesting, I do prefer Cadwaladr and Glens of Antrim.

• 4 months later...

I haven't really had a look yet, but, are these inks available in the US at all?

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

I haven't really had a look yet, but, are these inks available in the US at all?

I do not think so. They are Pure Pens (shop) branded, indicating to be exclusive at PP in UK.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT