How To Change The Clip Of A Jinhao 159.

JoanM

Apart from improving the aesthetics of the cap by shortening the bottom to expose the underlying metal ring from the barrel, it is also possible to change the horrible clip of a Jinhao 159. You only have to swap it for another one from a Jinhao X750. It only needs minor adjustment to make sure it fits on the top of the cap (just enlarge the central hole and narrow the horizontal segment of the clip.

post-141596-0-78701200-1519203008_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoanM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoanM

• Emu

• YFS

• k3eax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And with some nib adjustment on top of that, you end up with a pretty decent pen

Edited by JoanM

Thanks for the suggestions. I do though have a question concerning tools needed. Enlarging the 750's hole, I do believe can be accomplished with a tapered reamer, but how did you narrow the horizontal portion keeping its thickness constant? What tool was

used?

Thanks for the suggestions. I do though have a question concerning tools needed. Enlarging the 750's hole, I do believe can be accomplished with a tapered reamer, but how did you narrow the horizontal portion keeping its thickness constant? What tool was

used?

Yes. A tapered reamer for the hole and a square or rectangular one for the shoulder (horizontal segment) to make it fit in the gap of the top of the cap.

Great idea! How do you remove the cap?

[edit] Figured it out!

Edited by cubfanbob

Try to unscrew it patiently because he tip is secured with small amount of glue and your have to apply quite a lot of force.

• 2 months later...

Nice mod...JoanM

Howd you go about removing the fineal on the 750 Jinhao? I keep trying to unscrew it, but to no avail!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice mod...JoanM

Howd you go about removing the fineal on the 750 Jinhao? I keep trying to unscrew it, but to no avail!

Should come off easily. If not, try to warm it up in hot water to soften the glue on the thread

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, JoanM said:

Yes. A tapered reamer for the hole and a square or rectangular one for the shoulder (horizontal segment) to make it fit in the gap of the top of the cap.

I'm new to pen modifications and tools in general, so forgive me if I sound a bit uninformed. I have a simple rotary toolkit with drill bits (mounted stone and diamond burr bits). Would these work sufficiently to enlarge the central hole/narrow the horizontal segment of the clip? Or would I need very specific tools?

• 1 month later...

I like the Jinhao 159 better totally clipless. Like some of the best Japanese pens. Just take the clip off, then replace the big washer and the finial. I think it's almost attractive. The slot where the upper end of the clip formerly protruded is shallow and almost invisible. 

Yes, there is no roll stopper. But I keep my few big honker pens in leather or fabric sleeves when not using them. If I'm using the pen, the sleeve sits on the desk, like the cap does for those who don't always post. When I put the pen down, it goes in the sleeve. Or is placed on the sleeve, crosswise. Like a pair of chopsticks on a chopstick rest.  Easy enough. My only Jinhao 159 is a rollerball, so potential leaks haven't been an issue.

• 1 month later...

Just now cobbled together a nice-writing 159 fountain pen using a Goulet 1.5mm No. 6 nib and a Schmidt converter, hacks pioneered by others here and on Reddit.  (There ARE good-working  brand new Jinhao 159s, but this new-found oldie from 2011 or so wasn't one). Got a clip off a Jinhao 51a (requires unscrewing inside the cap). Center hole of the 51a clip is way too small for the 159 cap, but after I used nippers to reduce the circular part of the clip to less than a half moon, it filled the slot on the 159 cap perfectly while pushed up against the protruding part of the cap the finial screws onto. (I don't have a tool that could have enlarged the clip's hole.) Replaced the 159's big washer and screwed the finial back on tight. Originally, the 159 finial wouldn't budge. One-minute hot tap water dunk fixed that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this idea. I was looking for this. The Jinhao clips are hideous, but mostly the shield protruding out of the profile of the clip part. Without the shield, the clip would be a generic clip which would be just fine.

I went with the clipless look mostly because I was too lazy to take out and mod the x750 clip. But that can change if I muster some more enthusiasm in the future.

I also have this cool Jinhao pen that is pretty big and flashy, but I kinda like it. But it has this huge shield-bearing Jinhao clip that I am not a big fan of.

Can anybody suggest a way to change that clip or even to just get rid of it? A replacement clip that is simpler from another pen maybe?

I did the hot and cold thing several times, but no success so far.

20211227_172655.jpg

20211227_172755.jpg

20211227_172702.jpg