A Few Wee Cracks

Nibbler

If you include me in your general condemnation then I think you misunderstood my post. I referred to unnecessary disassembling every time for *cleaning purposes*. I didn’t mention not swapping nibs.

I think it is just me Migo that this person wants to have a go at.

One to block for the future I think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fermata

• Beechwood

• Nibbler

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, just a general observation on forum type behaviour. Of course everyone is going to take it personally because they recognise themselves...

The point that I was endeavouring to make was just because you can take a pen apart does not mean that you should.

...but comments like this are an example of what I'm pointing out. Why shouldn't you do this occasionally? That's why they made it that way, and why many people buy them.

For me, part of the attraction of the Eco is the ease with which the nib and feed can be removed and flushed - and the (comparatively) low price point. I recognise that this can produce additional wear and tear, and shorten the life of the pen - but it makes it an ideal pen for using my shimmer inks (and I very much enjoy using shimmer inks!).

I would *not* recommend trying to regularly disassemble TWSBI Diamond nib units - the Mini, especially, is wedged in firmly and you're liable to break off a few fins (don't ask me how I know... :( ). But I'm comfortable doing this with the Eco - and I'd reiterate, unless the OP was being particularly rough, based on my experience with these pens that seems more likely to be a fault in the material. The nib and feed are almost *too* easy to remove and insert - and it's possible to do so without placing *any* stress on the grip section.

I'm familiar with the argument that "Just because you *can* disassemble, doesn't mean you *should* " - and I wholeheartedly endorse it, especially with more expensive and/or pens that are made of more fragile materials. But ultimately that's a call I get to make with my own pens, and with those that (in my my judgment) are designed to be readily disassembled (including the TWSBI Eco, and practically every pen I own from Fountain Pen Revolution), I'm going to make that call!

Good Grief.

Nobody is going to worry over what you do.

The OP asked if if the cracking in the nib section could be caused by the removal of the nib/section. Three people gave their opinion that the removal of the nib and feed was a possible cause and advised that it wasnt neccessary to remove this feed as part of the cleaning process. When I have inserted the feed into the pen I have noted that it was neccessary to turn the feed to seat the assembly properly.

There is no obsession involved, no geekyness.

The point that I was endeavouring to make was just becuase you can take a pen apart does not mean that you should.

Injection molded parts are subject more frequently to stress fractures. Any additional stress can exacerbate this, including normal assembly and disassembly. Conid machines their clear parts from cast barstock for rhis reason. The fault points in two directions but it shouldnt happen with such frequency, yet it does, due to choice of materials used, and encouragement to disassemble their pens.

Why shouldn't you do this occasionally? That's why they made it that way, and why many people buy them.

I think if you go back to the OP's original post, he mentions that he's a serial flusher, so he is probably removing the nib unit more than "occasionally." "Occasionally" is probably going to be fine for many pens. Removing a nib/feed every time you change ink is unnecessary, can make their fit looser, and may cause cracks around the section in pens made from less expensive materials. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

And it if helps at all .....

I was cleaning out one of the particular obnoxious glitter inks (this time Penbbs) and the nib came out without any effort from me - but that was probably a good thing because I had glitter in the feed . The Eco didn't stain at all.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It is likely TWSBI designed a pen with a removable nib to alllow occasional, infrequent nib swaps.

Just because the nib is removable doesn’t necessarily mean the nib section is durable enough to withstand a nib pull on every fill.

Unless he reached in their with a rusty pick and gouged those massive cracks himself, I don't think he subjected it to unreasonable amounts of stress.

Unless he reached in their with a rusty pick and gouged those massive cracks himself, I don't think he subjected it to unreasonable amounts of stress.

Yes, I'm of this opinion.

Also, here's an update. I've contacted TWSBI who's response was super quick and helpful. I copied them into this thread. They said that they'd send me a new barrel for the price of the postage, which I think is more than fair. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I must say how much I'm enjoying the 1.1 stub (on my other Eco). It's wet and smooth and gorgeous and currently full of R&K Scabiosa which seems to suit it well. I've not owned a stub before, but do like the way it makes my writing look.

• 1 month later...

TWSBI should move away from clear plastic pens and focus on other materials. The cracking reputation will be their demise if they dont deviate from their current trajectory. The new metal precision is a step in the right direction.

TWSBI should move away from clear plastic pens and focus on other materials.

Or change the plastic used.

Add lightness and simplicate.

TWSBI should move away from clear plastic pens and focus on other materials. The cracking reputation will be their demise if they dont deviate from their current trajectory. The new metal precision is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully one day soon they decide to release that Bamboo model that they teased forever ago.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, I really, really love my two Ecos. I have other pens, but since I have owned one, it is a TWSBI that I usually I pick up. The 1.1 stub is amazing, but that is another thread. I have noticed a few small cracks on the barrel where the nib section fits in. I am a serial flusher - because I like to change colour (don't they just look wonderful in this pen?) - so I wonder if the removing of the nib/section has caused this? I bought the pen in June last year so about seven months old.

Anyone else experienced this? What do we think?

Ta a lot.

David

fpn_1519160655__img_1762.jpg

Save

Save

I am luck enough only have a crack.

I think the reason I got her crack is the nib is so loss I need to put a tape on top of the nib to keep the nib not coming out when I am writing.

After almost 2 year, and only fill it up 4~5 times, I got a crack.

I clean it out and put some UV glue on it. Also I put the crack on the open area which will not touch anything and the problem fix.

Hope you able to fix your problem. :)

post-129815-0-42332400-1526500388.jpg

Edited by Acheng

hello,

the cracks are most likely stress cracks. they are caused by injection molding where there are sharp angles in the part design. the only solution is to change the part design to eliminate sharp angles.

Jim

• 11 months later...

It's almost certainly caused by the fact that you're unnecessarily pulling the nib out every time you clean the pen. :huh: Just because you're a "serial flusher" doesn't mean you need to pull out the nib and feed to flush the pen clean. :) You can get it clean without pulling the nib out. -_-

my practice for all of my pens is to run soapy water and pen flush, then rinse water through the section with nib and feed in place until the water runs clear..sometimes ink will still come out, suddenly, as through the preceding squirts of water hadnt found that ink. I dont know for certain how pristinely clean Im getting my pens, but well enough that they all write beautifully and if there are stray driblets of the previous ink in there somewhere, im pretty sure the sun isnt going to explode because of it..

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |