Aditkamath26

I have the Optima in Blue/Chrome and a Pelikan 805 blue stripe. Both are really good pens The Pelikan has a little more back weight in the balance for the two. I think I like the section better on the Optima. The Optima fits a little nicer in the pocket. The ink window is much nicer on the Optima, but the Pelikan M805 is easier to clean out.

Most of this has been already said by others.

If your funds are low maybe you should be looking at less expensive pens. Both of the are not cheep.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• RocketRyan

• hari317

• Driften

If you intend to write all day, the Optima is the clear winner. Its perfect ergonomics and lightweight make it the ideal pen for long writing sessions. And I am not even talking about the amazing aesthetics ... it's my favorite pen in the world.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think Iam leaning more towards the Aurora Optima with a medium nib ground to a stub.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think Iam leaning more towards the Aurora Optima with a medium nib ground to a stub.

You can also buy the Optima with a factory stub or italic nib. I have two M stubs and a M Cursive Italic (not Aurora). The M size does not show a lot of line width changes. You really need to go B or wider to see it in action better. My Optima has a custom CI B and it's a nice width. Also for me, having a nice stub or Italic allows me to write with a wider nib then I would normally use.

The thin part of the line takes away the blob like character and opens up my cursive. If you print that may not be the case as much.

Again you might want to test the waters with cheeper pens first and decide what you like. For around $30 you can get a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 stub that is actually more of a M. The 1.1 on the TWSBI 580/Vac 700r is more true to size with a 1mm line. It's much better to learn on a $30 nib then to be looking to replace a $300 nib if you don't like the grind. The Optima does have nice screw in nibs but they are around $300 on their own. The Pelikan M800 nibs are not much cheeper. If you later decide to sell the Optima expect to lose at least $100 on selling it. If you can find a used one you should better able to sell it for what you paid for it , if you don't like it.

Since you said you are young and have limited funds you need to be careful. Unless you can try the pen in person and take the risk out of it that way. If you have a local pen shop that carries the pens you really take the risk out of the situation.

In any case good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both, and Aurora Optima feels much lighter in the hand an less tiring to write with for extended periods. I too recommend you choose Optima. I've been using mine quite a bit over the course of nearly a decade, and never had any issues with it. Pelikan M800 is also a very nice pen, but Optima will better suit your needs.

Tough choice, but neither option is really a bad one compared to the other. I prefer the longer section of the Optima. It is a bit more comfortable to me. Also, if you prefer to write with the cap posted, the Optima is perfect. On the flip side, the Optima is too short and light for me to write without the cap posted, whereas the M800 is perfect because of the weight of the piston.

In terms of quality, Ive owned 4 Optima and...I lost count of the M800. Neither gave me any issues. I prefer the M800, but wouldnt pass on an Optima. Ive never had an issue with the M800 trim ring on the section, but I can see that as a potential issue in the future. Aurora doesnt have a trim ring on the end of the section, which is a better design imho.