Aditkamath26

Greetings to everyone guys. I am planning for a big pen purchase but I am pretty confused between the two. I will be buying the pen from the Nibsmith because most probably I am getting a grind on it.

My main concerns here are:

Quality and construction: I know both pens are expensive and well constructed. But every once in a while, I come across a thread about the auroloide in Auroras cracking. I have also come across threads where the bindes in Pelikan split. I want to know if this is a recent issue or a thing of the past.

Nib performance: I know I said I might go for a custom grind. But just in case I opt otherwise, I need some opinions on how these nibs compare with each other. I will be getting a medium in the Aurora but I am not sure about the Pelikan because all the m800s I have tried, each nib is so different in the same nib width.

Balance: Balance is very important to me as I am a student and I may need to write for hours with these. Can you guys tell me how they compare with each other in terms of balance?

Aesthetics: As this is a big pen purchase, looks are definitely important to me. I need a very good and elegant looking pen. I am looking at the Blue Auroloide vs the Blue Gold Stripes. Can you show me a comparison photo between these?

Thanks,

Adit

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• RocketRyan

• hari317

• Driften

Hello! Well, I have a Pelikan M1005 and an Aurora 88. I just can tell that the quality of the Aurora is a step beyond. The nib is wonderful and the piston is smoother. While the aesthetics of the Pelikan do bore me a little, I love my Aurora for all the details and the classic design.

Id go for the Optima!

Roger

I don't own an m800 so really can't help there, I have two Optima models and they are probably my favourite pens, I have had no issues with them.

Greetings to everyone guys. I am planning for a big pen purchase but I am pretty confused between the two. I will be buying the pen from the Nibsmith because most probably I am getting a grind on it.

My main concerns here are:

Quality and construction: I know both pens are expensive and well constructed. But every once in a while, I come across a thread about the auroloide in Auroras cracking. I have also come across threads where the bindes in Pelikan split. I want to know if this is a recent issue or a thing of the past.

Nib performance: I know I said I might go for a custom grind. But just in case I opt otherwise, I need some opinions on how these nibs compare with each other. I will be getting a medium in the Aurora but I am not sure about the Pelikan because all the m800s I have tried, each nib is so different in the same nib width.

Balance: Balance is very important to me as I am a student and I may need to write for hours with these. Can you guys tell me how they compare with each other in terms of balance?

Aesthetics: As this is a big pen purchase, looks are definitely important to me. I need a very good and elegant looking pen. I am looking at the Blue Auroloide vs the Blue Gold Stripes. Can you show me a comparison photo between these?

Thanks,

Adit

purely from the stock nibs point of view, go for the aurora.

I have several M800s with lovely stock nibs but those are all the early versions. the 800 is a very well balanced pen, but so is the optima. The optima will feel smaller in the hand as compared to the 800. I have the Asia LE in optima size and a plain jane black rhodium trim optima. what type of comparison pics do you need?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

purely from the stock nibs point of view, go for the aurora.

I have several M800s with lovely stock nibs but those are all the early versions. the 800 is a very well balanced pen, but so is the optima. The optima will feel smaller in the hand as compared to the 800. I have the Asia LE in optima size and a plain jane black rhodium trim optima. what type of comparison pics do you need?

Thank you! I need conparison pics between the blue Optima and the Blue gold stripe Pelikan.

Hello! Well, I have a Pelikan M1005 and an Aurora 88. I just can tell that the quality of the Aurora is a step beyond. The nib is wonderful and the piston is smoother. While the aesthetics of the Pelikan do bore me a little, I love my Aurora for all the details and the classic design.

Id go for the Optima!

Thank you!

I don't own an m800 so really can't help there, I have two Optima models and they are probably my favourite pens, I have had no issues with them.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you! I need conparison pics between the blue Optima and the Blue gold stripe Pelikan.

oh, then someone else will have to help you out, I am afraid.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

oh, then someone else will have to help you out, I am afraid.

I am mainly concerned about the auroloide cracking because I reside in the UAE and shipping it from here and waiting for months, isnt just my thing. Plus, shipping costs a lot here.

I have both the Aurora Optima in blue Auroloide, and several other Optimas in different guises, plus an M800 (green) with two more of the same in different guises also.

I have had no problem with Auroloide cracking in any of the Optimas. Only one of mine was bought new by me so the others have histories going back two or three decades, back to the time when this was a reported problem, so I think it a reasonable sample to say it does not appear common at all and most probably non-existent this century.

I have similar comment about the Pelikan, that I have no evidence of problems but my own sample is far smaller. Reading Pelikan threads does not suggest to me that there is a significant or current problem there either. For me, this is not a factor in choosing between the two pens.

For the choice, I do not think you can choose badly from the pair you have selected. That is my main statement on it. That said, and much as I love the Pelikans and would prefer them in different circumstances, for your described criteria I would sneak over to the Aurora side of the line.

I am confident you will enjoy your pen, either way. :thumbup:

P.S. No pics. Can you not open a couple of windows to look at advertising for each, side by side?

X

I have both the Aurora Optima in blue Auroloide, and several other Optimas in different guises, plus an M800 (green) with two more of the same in different guises also.

I have had no problem with Auroloide cracking in any of the Optimas. Only one of mine was bought new by me so the others have histories going back two or three decades, back to the time when this was a reported problem, so I think it a reasonable sample to say it does not appear common at all and most probably non-existent this century.

I have similar comment about the Pelikan, that I have no evidence of problems but my own sample is far smaller. Reading Pelikan threads does not suggest to me that there is a significant or current problem there either. For me, this is not a factor in choosing between the two pens.

For the choice, I do not think you can choose badly from the pair you have selected. That is my main statement on it. That said, and much as I love the Pelikans and would prefer them in different circumstances, for your described criteria I would sneak over to the Aurora side of the line.

I am confident you will enjoy your pen, either way. :thumbup:

P.S. No pics. Can you not open a couple of windows to look at advertising for each, side by side?

Thanks a ton! Lemme just do that now.

Just use Google, and get pictures of the pens. And since you must be in India, check out Cult Pens in the UK. They have pens are very competetive prices. I just had my cousin in Guwahati in Assam buy Pelikan M400 and a Pelikan M600 from them about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Wolverine1

Just use Google, and get pictures of the pens. And since you must be in India, check out Cult Pens in the UK. They have pens are very competetive prices. I just had my cousin in Guwahati in Assam buy Pelikan M400 and a Pelikan M600 from them about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks a ton! Yes I did see Cult Pens and their prices are great.

By the way is this your original comment?

Just use Google, and get pictures of the pens. Why do you think that we are your naukar, who will post pictures that you have taken a fancy to?

I do not think of you as my naukars. Just people who could help me out buy a new pen and give me a side by side comparison. I did keep my tone requesting rather than compelling or ordering. Still if you did find my tone offensive, I must appologise. Sorry.

Nonetheless you did help me by giving some good advice so thanks for that.

Edited by Aditkamath26

I have owned 8 or so Optimas (now gone) and own around a dozen M800's, with both brands in various nib configurations. I have posted a couple of pictures below, including one of an Optima Demonstrator next to a Pelikan 805 Demonstrator.

Overall, I'd say they are roughly equal in terms of overall quality and writing experience. I have found the Pelikans to write broader and wetter, though Dan ("The Nibsmith") can adjust either pen to your desire. Personally, I prefer the Pelikan 800's due to their larger size.

I hope these pictures help.

Aurora Optimas

http://www.fototime.com/%7B25BA8541-1D21-4ED8-ACB0-143FB5788FBA%7D/origpict/O4.JPG

​Pelikan M800's

http://www.fototime.com/%7BEBE95468-F696-4BC6-8673-35C0D576B6DF%7D/origpict/1.png

​Aurora Optima (top) and Pelikan M805 (bottom)

http://www.fototime.com/%7BBF85C4AA-FC00-4532-9BA8-1BDF6BE9D8B4%7D/origpict/comp.png

I have owned 8 or so Optimas (now gone) and own around a dozen M800's, with both brands in various nib configurations. I have posted a couple of pictures below, including one of an Optima Demonstrator next to a Pelikan 805 Demonstrator.

Overall, I'd say they are roughly equal in terms of overall quality and writing experience. I have found the Pelikans to write broader and wetter, though Dan ("The Nibsmith") can adjust either pen to your desire. Personally, I prefer the Pelikan 800's due to their larger size.

I hope these pictures help.

Aurora Optimas

http://www.fototime.com/%7B25BA8541-1D21-4ED8-ACB0-143FB5788FBA%7D/origpict/O4.JPG

​Pelikan M800's

http://www.fototime.com/%7BEBE95468-F696-4BC6-8673-35C0D576B6DF%7D/origpict/1.png

​Aurora Optima (top) and Pelikan M805 (bottom)

http://www.fototime.com/%7BBF85C4AA-FC00-4532-9BA8-1BDF6BE9D8B4%7D/origpict/comp.png

Thank you very much. I envy your collection! I would love to have a collection like yours. But being just 15, my funds are pretty low.

If you intend to write all day, the Optima is the clear winner. Its perfect ergonomics and lightweight make it the ideal pen for long writing sessions. And I am not even talking about the amazing aesthetics ... it's my favorite pen in the world.

I owned an Optima. I still own my 800s. Granted some of the finishes of the Optima are gorgeous. But I found the shape of the section and the step down in the barrel of the Optima to be irritating. I like the feel of the 800 better.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have two Aurora 88 large size pens and about six Pelikan M800s. I love them both actually and I think the Aurora 88 has the edge in pure writing comfort. I really like the tapered section they have. However, there are a couple of things that annoy me about the Aurora.

First and the most annoying is the "backup reservoir". This is some kind of additional chamber that holds a small bit of ink to allow you to keep writing if the main ink supply runs out. Even with the nib/feed unit removed (both the Pelikan and Aurora have complete nib/feed units that are easily unscrewed from the section) the Aurora is painfully difficult to clean. This is only an issue though if you change inks frequently. If you use the same ink all the time then it's a non issue.

Second, the Aurora seems to be quite a bit drier flow than the Pelikans and does not do well with so-called "dry" inks. This could probably be remedied by a good nib smith though but, I just have not gotten around to sending them in.

I have a few Aurora pens and two are of the optima variety with one being blue/gold version you are looking at. I've had it for almost three years and there is no problem with the auroloide material. The nibs have a slight bit of feedback and compared to the butter smooth pelilan nib, you will definitely notice it. It's personal preference and I like a bit of feedback so long as the writing experience is still smooth. Great looking pen, great writer, long section for comfort, but a shorter pen capped and the reservoir is a pain when trying to clean it out. The nibs are never wet but not dry either. They are fine but I did get all my jobs adjusted to write a touch wetter.

I've also got a few Pelikans and one M805 in the Stresemann model. It's a beauty as well. Piston is smooth, pen is classic, and the nib on Pelikans are the smoothest on stock nibs of all my pens and nice and juicy to boot. That being said, almost all have suffered from baby's bottom and skip out of the box so it will almost for sure need an adjustment. And depending on what nib width you want, Pelikan nibs write at least one size larger. All my EF nibs write like an MF nib. My M writes like a B. Whereas my aurora nibs are true to size.

Personally, I would go Aurora Blue/gold if comparing with the green Pelikan. The green Pelikan, although classic, is a bit too classic and boring in my eyes so for a fifteen year old, if you went Pelikan, go with the new m805 ocean swirl. I'd have a harder decision if I had to choose between those two. At that point, I'd go aurora still because of the ink window. I hate not knowing how much ink I have left.

I agree the Aurora has feedback and a dry ink might not be the best if you want a smooth experience. I have an Optima in EF and it is one of my more feedbacky nibs. I have Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in it now and it is a delight to write with. I would say it is much closer to Japanese EF than European... Been using it on 5mm graph paper for Calculus, which I dare not do with a Pelikan (maybe the M200 EF but no way with the M600 EF which is like a Medium Fine, been thinking about getting it ground to needlepoint/EEF). The Pelikan M800 nib is I believe larger than the Optima and smooth (I like the size of the nib on the M800 and it shows off the design better)

The Optima's section and size is perfect for me... I have smaller hands so the shorter length works fine. The section is long and comfortable compared to the Pelikan. I rather like the weight of the M800 but since I post all my pens, it's too long for my taste (again smaller hands. Many folks with larger hands won't mind.) The visualated area where you can see the ink in the Optima is much easier to see than through the stripes of the Pelikan (I'm a persistent checker of ink) The blue Aureloid is an object of desire for me.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)