Lotus Vamza Bamboo Pen. Nikko Ebonite.

hari317

Lotus pens is an Indian pen manufacturer based out of Mumbai. It is run by Mr Arun Singhi. I came across this firm through one of the reviews posted on FPN last year or so. Looking through their website, I found some designs that interested me.

https://www.lotuspens.com

The material they use is from Nikko Ebonite Japan.

https://www.nikkoebonite.com/english_site/index.html

I was most interested in their model called the Vamza. It is apparently the Sanskrit word for Bamboo. However their Vamza was clipless and a clipless pen is useless for me. YMMV. So I got into a conversation with Mr Singhi reg the possibility of attaching a clip. I sent across some reference pictures and the result is the pen in this review. The credit goes to Mr Singhi alone.

The pen comes in a box with an outer cover with the lotus pens logo on it.

fpn_1519053999__20952150-0165-4643-85f7-

The box opened. The pen is inside the pouch.

fpn_1519054082__f6355bf4-fd0d-487b-8a12-

The pen. I chose the brown rippled material for it.

fpn_1519054148__d8580dc7-32e5-4d08-9366-

The pen outside the box. It has a knot on the barrel and one on the cap.

fpn_1519054260__79cc7949-8f82-41ee-ac02-

The logo on the gold plated clip.

fpn_1519054308__8dc5307c-1662-49b1-a42d-

The pen uses a standard no 6 nib unit from JoWo and can use a converter or a cartridge.

fpn_1519054387__b513cd86-4da5-405d-9746-

The ends of the pen are depressed to give the impression of a piece of natural bamboo. Nicely done. The inserts show the logo.

fpn_1519054451__5f62dcb5-c235-4013-85b4-

Both the inserts. Could not manage focus despite stopping down. The section barrel threads are of coarse pitch to permit quick removal of section for refilling.

fpn_1519054507__48083ea3-d920-44f2-b4cc-

Alongside my trusty Big Red for size comparison.

fpn_1519054594__df8de6da-0ba6-4311-acae-

How it rides in the shirt pocket.

fpn_1519054653__62b0ed70-909b-407b-b25e-

The section is cylindrical. The pen has a nice length for comfortable use and the knot does not fall on the webbing of my hand.

The fit and finish is first rate. The cap and section screw on and off silently and smoothly. There are no machining marks on the pen and the gloss is pretty amazing.

The nib is standard JoWo fare with plenty of aftermarket upgrade options.

Pricing is available on the website, I felt the prices are a terrific bargain and they ship worldwide. They took about a week to prepare my pen, being a slight customisation.

Happy to see a local pen company emerge. Mumbai was a major pen manufacturing hub in the heydays.

If you have any questions about my pen, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mikhasan

• Freddy

• Bold2013

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonderful pen Hari. Lovely pictures. You wrote CC filling. Can’t this be used as ED pen?

Have to check out Lotus website!

Have you inked it up?

Enjoy,

Best,

Abhik

Nice pen...

Buy the way where is the table mat

thank you

Wonderful pen Hari. Lovely pictures. You wrote CC filling. Can’t this be used as ED pen?

Have to check out Lotus website!

Have you inked it up?

Enjoy,

Best,

Abhik

Thanks Abhik, I have not used it as ED. It should be possible but I have not tried. I have installed a B nib and am enjoying it with Quink Permanent Blue in the converter mode.

Neat Hari. I wonder how it would compare to the Eboya (Nikko) counterpart called the Yatate?

Thank you. I wonder too. The Yatate looks gorgeous.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

That is a very beautiful pen. The clip is nice addition.

The wooden table without mat serves better background for the pen.

Thanks for beautiful pictures.

That is a very beautiful pen. The clip is nice addition.

The wooden table without mat serves better background for the pen.

Thanks for beautiful pictures.

Thanks Prashant

Very beautiful!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Congratulations, Hari

That's a nice looking pen Hari. Thank you for great pictures as always.

I visited the lotuspen website. Price is mentioned in US $ not INR and mode of payment is Paypal only.

Just wondering how did you pay and is there a different price for India folks just like Asapens.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

That's a nice looking pen Hari. Thank you for great pictures as always.

I visited the lotuspen website. Price is mentioned in US $ not INR and mode of payment is Paypal only.

Just wondering how did you pay and is there a different price for India folks just like Asapens.

Thanks Binod, I was thinking about you the other day and wanted to get in touch, will write an email.

I wrote an enquiry email at the address provided in the website and received an INR price equivalent, less the paypal fees. I was asked to call them for further details. I made the call and spoke to Singhi ji. You can also whatsapp him on the mobile number on the website, my later communication and exchange of reference pictures etc was via whatsapp. I paid them in INR using IMPS transfer. I had to wait over a week after payment for my pen to get ready and shipped. The pen was delivered by DTDC courier. Just letting you know the timelines I faced. Hope this helps.

Best

Hari

Thank you Hari for bringing these beautiful pens to our attention. I have a Shikhar on order and am looking forward to receiving and using it. It has already shipped, so you know how fast I acted.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you Hari for bringing these beautiful pens to our attention. I have a Shikhar on order and am looking forward to receiving and using it. It has already shipped, so you know how fast I acted.

I am glad. I am interested in the Shikhar too. Maybe my next pen. Which color did you order?

Best

Hari

I am glad. I am interested in the Shikhar too. Maybe my next pen. Which color did you order?

Best

Hari

The one they call black, although to my eyes the pictures seem more like metallic blue. We shall see when it arrives. Whichever color I think it will be beautiful.

The one they call black, although to my eyes the pictures seem more like metallic blue. We shall see when it arrives. Whichever color I think it will be beautiful.

looks great. Congrats! I might go for a red or a green ripple. I am told the green rods are in transit.

Thank you. It does look great, does it not. Which is probably why I bought it! plus the chance to try a new Indian company's product. Although I capitulated also nibwise, and instead of the Ambitious it will come with a Jowo. My second Jowo only, the first is in one of the Rangas. It's nice but not particularly great, or better than the Ambitious - except this one promised to be black, and I wanted that. Another first.

Thank you. It does look great, does it not. Which is probably why I bought it! plus the chance to try a new Indian company's product. Although I capitulated also nibwise, and instead of the Ambitious it will come with a Jowo. My second Jowo only, the first is in one of the Rangas. It's nice but not particularly great, or better than the Ambitious - except this one promised to be black, and I wanted that. Another first.

Nice. On gold trim pens KW nib units seems to be another nib option.

A fantastic review after a long long time, Hari. Thank you..

Thank you Sagar, yes that is right, I have posted a review after a very long gap.

Best

Hari

Elegant incorporation of a clip into the bamboo design, and the material is gorgeous.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I looked at their site, but did not see where I could choose the color of the ebonite. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!