Conklin Classic From Goulet Pens? Any Recommendations?

MBDostoevsky

Hello Everyone

I was browsing through Goulet Pens Website and was interested by Conklin Classic which is sort of a limited release by Goulet Pens... The pen seems to be on the lighter side of weight -- 13 grams (body only) while having 13mm diameter (body only) and a length (body only) of 127.22 mm (5 inch)... since i usually use the pen without posting the cap, the measurements are for the body only....

What attracts me is the Ebonite body and the colors though the Goulet #6 Steel Nib is nothing extraordinary.. filling mechanism is eyedropper, C/C...

Question is, at a price point of USD 139, is it a worthwhile pen considering that the website mentions it as a "special edition, produced in single batch that will only be available for a period of time? Ref: https://www.gouletpens.com/conklin-classic-fountain-pen-firelines-fine/p/CK81114-F

I am planning to have a contemporary Conklin and need to decide between Classic, Duragraph and All American...

Thank You

Some pictures (from Goulet website) Ref: https://www.gouletpens.com/conklin-classic-fountain-pen-firelines-fine/p/CK81114-F....

post-112646-0-41117200-1518937891_thumb.jpgpost-112646-0-75114800-1518937903_thumb.jpgpost-112646-0-74965100-1518937932_thumb.jpgpost-112646-0-94911000-1518937950_thumb.jpg

Edited by MBDostoevsky

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevan

• TSherbs

• MBDostoevsky

• eharriett

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not that hot on Conklin. I have a few of them and they're OK. Not especially well-made, but OK. $139 seems a bit steep for a steel nib Conklin.

If I wanted a quality steel nib ebonite pen for my collection, one that would have resale value, I'd probably pay a bit more and look to Edison. If I just wanted an ebonite pen as a carry around writer, I might pay a lot less and order one of the Noodler's flex-nib ebonites.

http://www.gourmetpens.com/2014/07/review-edisonpenco-menlo-acrylic.html#.WonDLajwaUk

I like Goulet in general and they're good people, but that pen is ridiculously overpriced, considering that you can get a Ranga Model 3 (same flat-top design) in ebonite for $72 from Peyton Street Pens. It even uses the same Jowo nib units. Unless you want that Conklin rocker clip, to me it's a no-brainer. Or look at Bexley's ebay page...sometimes they have special models they whip up in Ebonite and you can get them for under $100.

It's also worth noting that Goulet regularly stokes the feeling of FOMO with their pen releases. They generate interest on social media, whip up the customer base into a frenzy, launch the pen, and a lot of times the pen is sold out in hours. And if you miss out, you're thinking "Gosh I should've gotten in on that!" as you wait for their next shipment. Now, I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing since it's a common retail practice, but they do it a lot. And by saying it's an LE produced in a single batch, it gets you thinking you'll miss out. But really, the only thing it has different from other similar Ebonite pens is that Conklin clip.

People seem to have this idea (primarily pushed by pen retailers) that ebonite is some sort of super-premium material. It's really not (as seen by all the cheap Noodlers pens in Ebonite). And $139 (or $250 for an Edison signature line in ebonite, as recommended above), is just too high for polished hard rubber. I'd make an exception for the Edison if the pen was special to me and completely custom I guess. But not that Conklin, especially since it is so close in design to the Ranga Model 3. And Rangas are handmade pens of good quality.

If you really want a Conklin, get a Crescent. It's the same price as that Goulet pen above and has its unique filling mechanism. The build quality on mine is perfect, whereas the build quality on my Duragraph and All-American is kinda poor.

Of the two, I like the All American with how it fits in my hand and the material is nice, but the threads are poorly cut.

Edited by Kevan

Meh, to me all of Conklin pens are a bit over priced for what you get, except maybe the Duragraph. 140$ for a ebonite pen isn't something ridiculously overpriced, but isn't cheap either.

Would I buy it?

Yes, but it's mostly because I tend to reward companies that I feel satisfied with.

EDIT: unless it is a Goulet exclusive, I would buy it from elsewhere. The bay tends to have better prices.

Edited by sciumbasci

Meh, to me all of Conklin pens are a bit over priced for what you get, except maybe the Duragraph. 140$ for a ebonite pen isn't something ridiculously overpriced, but isn't cheap either.

Would I buy it?

Yes, but it's mostly because I tend to reward companies that I feel satisfied with.

EDIT: unless it is a Goulet exclusive, I would buy it from elsewhere. The bay tends to have better prices.

I have to disagree. When you consider Ranga pens and when you consider ASA Pens, the $139 price looks ridiculously high. I have no idea WHY it's that high, either. The only difference you can argue is the "woodgrain" pattern of the red ebonite used in the Conklin isn't common with Indian ebonites, but the other colors are.

I mean it does look nice, but when I can get the Ranga Model 3 or the ASA I Can pen for significantly less, which use the same components, I'm having trouble seeing where the cost comes from.

So, I’ve been looking at this too, and I’d never seen a Ranga Model 3 before. I really wasn’t keen about the price, but I love the blue ripple ebonite.

The price itself didn’t bother me, but the reason I didn’t just impulse purchase it is because they’re installing their stock Goulet nib. That gave me some pause, because if that’s the case, I’d rather just go to fpnibs and put a custom in. I just sent out an email asking if I could buy the pen without their nib for a little less. If not, and a Ranga is basically the same, and neither is exactly an American made pen anymore, I might just go the cheaper route.

But I am very curious about others thoughts related to this.

There is one review on Youtube of this pen (PenBoyRoy) and while it's...."unorthodox" -- to put it mildly -- he does give some information about it. In short, he likes it, so there's that. He also states that it's made in Italy, which is where some of the recent higher-end Conklin Crescents were made (so does that mean that it's possibly manufactured by Stipula?), including the ebonite/sterling model Cresent of 2 years back. There also seems to be a small engraving on the cap lip. He says the ebonite is very well finished, and it uses a Jowo nib unit.

All positive points to be sure, but the high price still gives me pause. The fact that it uses Jowo nib units means that you can put basically anything you want into it, Goulet nib or not, if you have spares laying around. I'm sure most of us do. But....the Ranga Model 3 has the same setup. So it still comes down to mostly aesthetics, as well as that super-useful Conklin rocker clip.

It certainly is a nice looking pen. I'll say that much.

Chase the nib. There are better options for bodies that use a Jowo at that price. Unless the ebonite or design say something to you, everyone else in the boutique custom handmade pen business can build you a better pen.

My two cents about it is that with the premium price you are paying, you also get YAFA's warranty. Sending the pen back to India won't be cheap, nor will it be quick.

....Question is, at a price point of USD 139, is it a worthwhile pen considering that the website mentions it as a "special edition, produced in single batch that will only be available for a period of time? Ref: https://www.gouletpens.com/conklin-classic-fountain-pen-firelines-fine/p/CK81114-F....

IMO, no.

"Special editions" have no pull on me whatsoever. This pen isn't worth $50 to me. I am not going to spend over $50 for an ebonite eyedropper with a steel nib. I set my limits and I stick to them. Mostly.... :)

For what it's worth, I'd say the price Conklin / Yafa are asking is not outrageous compared to the prices of American or European-made pens. It's a little unfair (though also entirely legitimate!) to compare it to an Indian made pen - not because Ranga or Guider pens are any less well-made, but because the Indian economy is so different. Market costs, labour costs, production overheads, and a more complicated distribution arrangement all conspire to drive prices *up* on American and European-made goods.

The Conklin Classic looks like a lovely pen - and if my salary were higher and/or the exchange rate (and postage rates) were more favourable, I could possibly be tempted. But having purchased a number of Ranga ebonite pens (plus a few from Fountain Pen Revolution over the years!), the price tag on the Conklin puts it beyond my reach. Having said it's unfair to compare American pens with Indian, the reality is that Ranga offers me better value for money - not to mention the fact that I'm supporting an artisan who hand-crafts every pen!

I have a Conklin Classic, not from Goulet, and it is an OK pen. I agree that there are better, cheaper choices.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Honestly, I don't see in the pics above a better pen (and almost not a different one) than my $29 FPR Himalaya ebonite, which is a fantastic writer and has given me no trouble in the slightest.

"Special Edition" and "good value" never go together.

Edited by MG66

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

I have a Conklin Classic, not from Goulet, and it is an OK pen. I agree that there are better, cheaper choices.

So it's not a Goulet exclusive?

Yeah, I heard it was an exclusive as well. Care to share how you got, Drawing61?

I really feel very sad when people start baseless opinionated comparisons, in this case, Indian Ebonite pens to the Italian made ebonite pen. Have you handled the pens? Have you really looked and examined it closely to really give an unbiased opinion? It's like saying WHY is a Mercedes $50k when you can get the same Camry for $20? After all they both have 4 doors, a 200hp 4 cylinder engine, can transport me and my friends to where we need to go and back equally well...blah blah blah....I guess I don't need to tell you why a Mercedes costs over 20k more than a Toyota. But if you don't get it, then it's really not targeted at you.

I have a few of these Ranga pens from PST. I have actually purchased Gamas directly from Mr Pratap himself in Chennai, sat with him while he installed and adjusted the nib to my preference, which is an unforgettable experience. And I have the Classic Rainfall in fine.

Right off the bat, these pens are wonderfully made. The quality of the ebonite is a notch above the ones that are used by the Indian pen makers. It wrote beautifully right from the get go. No tuning of nibs required, although I don't remember whether I flushed the pen prior to inking. What I REALLY love about the classic are the subtle but careful shaping of the pen, which gives the pen an understated elegance I really like. Note although the silhouette is similar to the Duragraph, I BELIEVE it is a completely new design. Holding and writing with an ebonite pen is wonderful, although not unique to this pen. However the selling point of this pen for me is the VERY unusual graining. Have you seen another pen with diagonal graining? I absolutely HATE the graining they typically have on Indian pens, which looks like you ran a toothpick through the streaks like you would icing on a cake. I don't know whether this is the reason why these pens are more costly, but in my mind these are totally worth the money Goulet is asking form.

Edited by gerigo

I really feel very sad when people start baseless opinionated comparisons, in this case, Indian Ebonite pens to the Italian made ebonite pen. Have you handled the pens? Have you really looked and examined it closely to really give an unbiased opinion? It's like saying WHY is a Mercedes $50k when you can get the same Camry for $20? After all they both have 4 doors, a 200hp 4 cylinder engine, can transport me and my friends to where we need to go and back equally well...blah blah blah...

The "blah blah" is harsh, but you are otherwise exactly describing how I feel about autos and how I compare them for my needs. I could not care less about anything else other than how I can get where I need to go for the next ten years (I never own a car for less than that) using the least amount of gas and risk to myself and my family (I live in snow country on a limited salary). This isn't a "baseless" comparison; it is a reasoned comparison of a range of vehicles in a certain kind of vehicle type. It is one way that some folks determine relative value for their expenditures. That you don't value this kind of thinking is quite evident here.

I guess I don't need to tell you why a Mercedes costs over 20k more than a Toyota. But if you don't get it, then it's really not targeted at you.....

That expensive 4-door sedan, and this Conklin "special edition," are indeed not marketed for the consumer looking for basic, reliable functionality, and cost-saving. I agree with you entirely. Those companies, and you, and I agree on this. What is so "baseless" about acknowledging this truth? And we comparative shoppers do "get it," we are just not "sold" on it. Why is your pique raised by this?

.... I absolutely HATE the graining they typically have on Indian pens, which looks like you ran a toothpick through the streaks like you would icing on a cake. I don't know whether this is the reason why these pens are more costly, but in my mind these are totally worth the money Goulet is asking form.

cool

all power to you

I think that they are attractive, too. And I love the feel of ebonite, even the smell!

I really feel very sad when people start baseless opinionated comparisons, in this case, Indian Ebonite pens to the Italian made ebonite pen. Have you handled the pens? Have you really looked and examined it closely to really give an unbiased opinion? It's like saying WHY is a Mercedes $50k when you can get the same Camry for $20? After all they both have 4 doors, a 200hp 4 cylinder engine, can transport me and my friends to where we need to go and back equally well...blah blah blah....I guess I don't need to tell you why a Mercedes costs over 20k more than a Toyota. But if you don't get it, then it's really not targeted at you.

I have a few of these Ranga pens from PST. I have actually purchased Gamas directly from Mr Pratap himself in Chennai, sat with him while he installed and adjusted the nib to my preference, which is an unforgettable experience. And I have the Classic Rainfall in fine.

Right off the bat, these pens are wonderfully made. The quality of the ebonite is a notch above the ones that are used by the Indian pen makers. It wrote beautifully right from the get go. No tuning of nibs required, although I don't remember whether I flushed the pen prior to inking. What I REALLY love about the classic are the subtle but careful shaping of the pen, which gives the pen an understated elegance I really like. Note although the silhouette is similar to the Duragraph, I BELIEVE it is a completely new design. Holding and writing with an ebonite pen is wonderful, although not unique to this pen. However the selling point of this pen for me is the VERY unusual graining. Have you seen another pen with diagonal graining? I absolutely HATE the graining they typically have on Indian pens, which looks like you ran a toothpick through the streaks like you would icing on a cake. I don't know whether this is the reason why these pens are more costly, but in my mind these are totally worth the money Goulet is asking form.

I don't think it's unfair at all, considering the OP asked if it was a worthwhile purchase. And if you look at a few reviews on Goulet's site of this pen, a few customers have been unsatisfied with the build quality, while others love it. So there it's not a case of "This is made in Italy so it's a cut above Indian pens." It's the typical Conklin experience. If you get a good one, great. If you don't, it'll be "okay." In this case, if it's "Okay," it's $140. It's not a $40 Duragraph you can just accept if the threads are a bit sticky. I think it's very fair to say "There are other options here."

We aren't comparing a Mercedes with a Toyota. We're comparing pens made of ebonite, with the same shape, with the same nib, with the same filling system. It's not apples to oranges. It's comparing different apples.