Conid Minimalistica & Sailor Bottles - Incompatible!

Lloyd

Last night, I cleaned out my Minimalistica and decided to fill it with Sailor Sei Boku ink. Despite being close to full, I couldn't fill the pen without removing the ink-miser insert and tilting the bottle! Naturally, some ink was lost in the process. It seems that my Minimalistica needs to have the entire nib/feed completely submerged to fill.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• mauckcg

• gistar

• katerchen

Last night, I cleaned out my Minimalistica and decided to fill it with Sailor Sei Boku ink. Despite being close to full, I couldn't fill the pen without removing the ink-miser insert and tilting the bottle! Naturally, some ink was lost in the process. It seems that my Minimalistica needs to have the entire nib/feed completely submerged to fill.

I have the same issue with the Sailor bottles when filling my Montblanc 149s.

Love the ink, despise the bottles.

Well, that's not really different from any other fountain pen (except for Snorkels and hooded pens) that you have to dip in the bottom part of the section.

Sailor used design aesthetics that's perfect for brush pens and makes no sense for fountain pens :/

It's still a pretty bottle though. I use one exclusively with a Lamy2000 at work, so I get by. The other one is at home, that one's not working out so good with the 1911 Realo.

Sailor designed their bottles for their pens. Sailor pens can draw ink without fully immersing the nib, so the design works perfectly for them. I use some 10 ml sample bottles for my other pens, but it is not an elegant solution.

Gistar

Ah...Thanks for the info. Most of my pens are eyedropper filled. The others fill from closer to the tip.

Oscar Wilde

I also love the ink and hate the bottles. Actually the ink is great, but good enough to make me move the ink into alternate bottles. I think I gave away the bottles I had.

Ah...Thanks for the info. Most of my pens are eyedropper filled. The others fill from closer to the tip.

The internal inkwell in the sailor ink bottles is for their own pens, as they take in ink from the tip of the feed rather than from the base of the feed.

I hated their bottles, but as soon as I realised the purpose and logic, I stopped bothering.

If you're comfortable, try screwing out the nib unit and using a syringe to fill the pen? I do that with my Conid sometimes.

The internal inkwell in the sailor ink bottles is for their own pens, as they take in ink from the tip of the feed rather than from the base of the feed.

I hated their bottles, but as soon as I realised the purpose and logic, I stopped bothering.

If you're comfortable, try screwing out the nib unit and using a syringe to fill the pen? I do that with my Conid sometimes.

If I decide to stick with this ink, I'll either decant it into a better bottle or do just as you wrote.

Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

Sailor bottle bottle sucks for any pen other than their own.

Which is why I am only going to get their limited edition jewel bottle version now days. (good excuse eh? )

anyway.......

if you got a Minimalistica, then you can do something similar to what I do when I must refill from their normal bottle.

Take a syring, get some ink.

Push your piston all the way ink, then Saturate your feed using syring.

it typically saturate after just 2-3 drops.

Pull back the piston by a bit, drip ink again.

it is a slow process, but works and prevent ink lost.

alternative, just get some ink into a clean 5ml sample vial and suck up the ink from there....

Edited by Innosint

I have swapped my sailor inks into cleaned out Noodlers bottles. Very few pens will actually fill from the ink miser doodad.

Sailor bottles (and their plastic cone doodad) are lame. I end up only using their ink with converters which I fill directly before inserting in a pen.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here tried using a Visconti inkpot to fill the Minimalistica? If it works, that would make loading it with a Sailor ink much easier.

Oscar Wilde

Or you can use one of these !

TCqe8pL.jpg

time to refill

RqAe1W2.jpg

Edited by tartuffo

With that stand, will the CONID fill once the ink level in the bottle goes down by half?

Oscar Wilde

Has anyone here tried using a Visconti inkpot to fill the Minimalistica? If it works, that would make loading it with a Sailor ink much easier.

Works just fine. Just don't pull it too quickly when filling.

Works just fine. Just don't pull it too quickly when filling.

Why?

Oscar Wilde

After you engage the piston insert the pen into the inkpot. Hold tight to both pen and inkpot. Push slowly the piston. The pressure inside the inkpot will increase. Pull slowly back the piston. The pen will fill and the pressure will drop. This way you can remove the pen easily afterwards. If you push the piston down and then you insert it into the inkpot and fill the pen, the pressure differential will make it difficult to remove the pen, and it is quite possible that ink will be spilled out from both pen and inkpot as 25_15_3 said.

Gistar

Or you can use one of these !

time to refill

What's a these, and where does one obtain such?

Also one can simply remove the reservoir for a short term solution.

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.