What Is Your Plan For Acquiring Writing Supplies After The Zombie/nuclear Apocalypse?

3nding

Hi, Anthony.

Nothing like a dream that glows in the dark, is there?

Hi DP,

No, there really isn't... it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :)

Well, you know what they say: "Nuke 'em till they glow in the dark and then shoot 'em!"

I'm not a big horror movie fan so I never saw DotD (just the original, back in college). So I didn't know the bit about the nuclear power plant.

OTOH, I did see a thing a few years ago where there were serious considerations to have small household sized systems so everyone could have their own personal atomic power plant in their yard.... There was also an essay written for some SF magazine years ago (late 60s or early 70s) where the author looked at ALL factors in energy generation (including building the infrastructure and dealing with transportation as well as environmental costs) and concluded that nuclear power was the most cost efficient in the long run.

I grew up near the Indian Point Power plant (which serves NYC as well as Westchester County). And I remember the summer where a lightning strike during a freak thunderstorm knocked out one of the reactors and NYC had no power for something like 3 days -- in the middle of July.... (There was a blue glow off in the distance which was Indian Point, which I think was about 20-25 miles away; years later, I had a summer job in college and a co-worker grew up down the road (as in a couple of miles at most) from Indian Point; and SHE said that where she lived the glow wasn't blue -- it was RED....

It had been a weird bad storm (the really bad storms all come out of the Northwest in that part of the country), and I remember this HUGE and very low dark cloud going over my house. Don't remember if our power was out for as long as the city's (I grew up about 50 north of Manhattan). Just that the radio station I listened to went and set up temporary digs in the Empire State building to get back on air, and the first couple of songs they were able to play....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth,

That story is a lot scarier than DotD was. :o

fpn_1518811719__img_3684.jpg

Hi Noihvo,

This is true... we'll never be without our inks or bamboo pens, at any rate. :thumbup:

Please forgive my boldness, but I want to complement you on your handwriting... it has really improved... I no longer have any difficulty reading it... congratulations. :thumbup: :)

Easy. Like anything else after a zombie/nuclear apocalypse: using a powerful gun. 😁🔫

:lticaptd:

You and me, both, kid. ;)

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

Typos.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• dogpoet

• inkstainedruth

• Amory

I don't know why everyone is so afraid of zombies, they just want to be "friends with "brain"efits".......

I always found zombies to be rather dull and boring and a major snooze, until I watched "28 Days Later" (2002 flick). Those zombies are rather lively and nasty!

Hmm, this is an entertaining thread!

For me, I'd look into getting a powerful, portable laser of some sort. When I run out of normal ink and/or paper, I'll simply burn messages in whatever surface is convenient - on tree bark, on drywall, on the flesh of captive zombies, and so on. Preferably it would be an adjustable laser, so I could increase the output to burn holes instead of messages into zombies when necessary. B)

I always found zombies to be rather dull and boring and a major snooze, until I watched "28 Days Later" (2002 flick). Those zombies are rather lively and nasty!

Believe it or not, you get some purist types who just plain don't like films with running zombies in them.

(Myself I've always thought that regardless of the political theories about zombies as a symbol for the oppressed underclass the post-Romero shambling brain eaters are really just vampires with a limp and worse table manners, and without Dracula's dress sense...)

One of my coworkers mentioned that movie as well, need to check it out.

I am generally of the same opinion when it comes to zombie movies, but “Train to Busan” was pretty entertaining, perhaps in the speed that the zombies moved in mass.

More than likely, I find that the spread of prion diseases will doom any sustained zombie outbreak. I also would think vampires would wither away on the high cholesterol of their victims, and werewolves would fail to materialize because full moons would be covered in clouds of smog, and light pollution. But Orcs, well that’s just plain magic!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Well, immediately afterward, I'm going to In-n-Out. The drive-through line should be short. Then I'll hit the funeral home and make my final arrangements. I should be able to get a good deal, under the circumstances. Then down to the Bay Area and go to all the pen, ink, and paper stores. Parking should be a snap.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I am generally of the same opinion when it comes to zombie movies, but “Train to Busan” was pretty entertaining, perhaps in the speed that the zombies moved in mass.

More than likely, I find that the spread of prion diseases will doom any sustained zombie outbreak. I also would think vampires would wither away on the high cholesterol of their victims, and werewolves would fail to materialize because full moons would be covered in clouds of smog, and light pollution. But Orcs, well that’s just plain magic!

I've always thought that there's a good horror film to be made about an infestation of goblins in a present day setting...

I've always thought that there's a good horror film to be made about an infestation of goblins in a present day setting...

As opposed to Gremlins (which is a bad, if entertainingly so, horror movie...).

ETA: It just occurred to me, thinking about that movie -- one of the things was to NEVER GET THEM WET! Gosh. Do you think they were made out of ink? :rolleyes: [Clearly not Noodler's Bulletproof line, of course.... B)]

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:lol:

I was forgetting Gremlins, Ruth, but I had the D&D/Tolkein sort of things more in mind.

(The first Gremlins flick overdoes the Capra stuff massively, but I really like the second one a lot: it's one of the most over the top pieces of demented lunacy ever filmed.)

Perhaps if the zombies ate pens, paper, and ink rather than brains we would really have FPN sweating. Not only would the hoarders amongst us be sought out, but tactical pens would be considered delicious, and stationary, pen, and office supply stores would be emptied in the first few days. There will just be a bunch of us running around deliusionally stuttering about where to find the blackest of black muddy water, and how feeds made from maple branches will never be like ebonite ones. Talk about a horror movie....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I am generally of the same opinion when it comes to zombie movies, but Train to Busan was pretty entertaining, perhaps in the speed that the zombies moved in mass.

More than likely, I find that the spread of prion diseases will doom any sustained zombie outbreak. I also would think vampires would wither away on the high cholesterol of their victims, and werewolves would fail to materialize because full moons would be covered in clouds of smog, and light pollution. But Orcs, well thats just plain magic!

I found Train to Busan a bit depressing, but nothing that lying in your bed and thinking about that happening to you cant fix.

I'm not scared of no zombies or Klingons or The Borgs or weeping angels or Romulans or Daleks or Darth Maul or Elon Musk or Montblanc salespersons.

I have my towel.

Don't Panic!

I'm not scared of no zombies or Klingons or The Borgs or weeping angels or Romulans or Daleks or Darth Maul or Elon Musk or Montblanc salespersons.

I have my towel.

Don't Panic!

:lticaptd:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have some instructions here for making ink out of the (bleep) left over from the lamps I’ll have to use when civilization collapses (although you could make an argument that LA never had any to start with) and I suppose I can carve pens out of the bamboo in my backyard.

One could, I suppose, acquire some geese. They’re good guard animals and fantastic - if tricky - roasted in the fireplace.

I once worked in a drugstore in northern Wisconsin that still had dozens of dusty bottles of fountain pen ink stashed beneath the front counter. So looking for old drugstores might be my first line of attack. Although, goodness, that ink was old!

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the type of zombie apocalypse I might have a chance to survive something like Z Nation, but the rest? I'd be the first to go sadly. So anyone comes around after that happens, feel free to raid my little supply. :D

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

I havent read every page of this thread, so someone may have touched on this... Im very taken with this video on making iron gall ink. I meant to try it last fall. Hopefully Ill remember this fall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0l3KbnYAo

But, like many others have said, I already have a stockpile that would probably see a hardy scrappy band of survivors through a couple generations. My unopened 375 ml bottle of Pilot Blue Black would go a long way by itself.

Paper might be the real pinch point. At first there would be tons (literally) lying around in offices, but I bet it would be recognized as a valuable commodity and scavenged up pretty quickly. Paper is pretty easy to make, but fountain-pen-friendly paper is *not*.

Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb