How To Sell A Trove Of Vintage Fountain Pens

yumbo

Hi All -

I work for a large Catholic order in Wisconsin. Recently one of the sisters here learned of my fountain pen obsession and asked me if I would be willing to help them sell a bunch of fountain pens and mechanical pencils that they have accumulated over the years. They're really interested in selling the whole collection and not selling it piecemeal. It's a motley assortment of Sheaffers, Parkers, with the odd Chilton and Eversharp thrown in. There's also an unused Montblanc 149 with the original W Germany sticker.

Any suggestions on where to go to solicit bids for the collection would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cunim

• yumbo

• Inkling13

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speerbob might be able to help. Selling them piecemeal would bring the best returns on your pens. Even so, if you find someone to do it, you can expect 50% to end up as commissions.

You could just line them up, take a picture of them, and list in the classified section, instead of listing each pen individually.

An unused 149 could fund a chantry.

A friend of mine was selling her dad’s rock collection and was selling a really nice nickel-iron meteorite for $25. I asked my husband (the geologist) if he wanted it. He said no, so I whispered to my friend: “Put a zero on that sticker.”

Just make a list to the best of your ability. Doesnt matter if some are listed as unknown. Take pictures of half a dozen at a time. Post the list and pics in the classifieds, stating you want to sell as one lot. The folks here will set a market value with their bids

:lticaptd:

Years ago (when I was still single, and living with my parents) I went to something as a "merchant" selling old lace collars and handkerchiefs and such, and an old belt that I'd outgrown. I made just enough to pay for gas and tolls, and a cheap meal at a diner. Didn't sell a lot of stuff, but I did sell the belt (which was in decent condition and leather). Got five bucks for it. My mom completely freaked out when I got home and told her about the belt -- because she hadn't been able to sell it for 50¢ at a street-wide yard sale.... B)

Of course I'm also minded of the thread someone started last week, wanting to buy a complete collection because he (?) couldn't be bothered to search out the pens individually....

But Inkling13 is right -- selling the pens individually will likely net more money in the long run than selling them as a single lot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's a tradeoff of things here. Selling the pens individually will likely net more, but depending on the pens, it may not be worth the effort to sell them that way. My usual method is to sell the nicer stuff individually and then do the really cheap stuff as larger lots. The overall profit may not be as high, but it maximizes the time/profit curve for me.

Just make a list to the best of your ability. Doesnt matter if some are listed as unknown. Take pictures of half a dozen at a time. Post the list and pics in the classifieds, stating you want to sell as one lot. The folks here will set a market value with their bids

I must admit I wasn't aware that an auction-style sale was permissible here?

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I must admit I wasn't aware that an auction-style sale was permissible here?

It's a bit abstruse, but I don't think there would be a problem with posting a single total value (wildly approximate) and saying you will consider offers.

So, the Chilton that the nuns have, does it by chance have a silver crucifix laid into it, like this? If so that's a rare pen, part of the "Cleric" line along with a matching pencil and aspergillum. Probably worth $400 or so.

post-71328-0-80710900-1518224027_thumb.jpg