Cheap Widely Available Fp Friendly Paper In Canada

3nding

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know of a brand of not too expensive paper (for a student) that is FP friendly and that comes in notebooks and/or loose leaf and/or pads that is easy to find in Canada (through places like Amazon or Staples).

So far I have had to resort to buying Hilroy notebooks but they are very inconsistent so I'm looking to upgrade to something better for my everyday writing without breaking the bank on something like Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluebellrose

• 3nding

• max dog

• Toastergal

Do you have access to HP laser jet copy paper? In the 32 lb version it is wonderful, 28 lb quite good and 24 lb probably just fine. Yes it is blank, you could run it though a printer and print some lines, graph squares or dots. You can also use a lined paper under each sheet to be a guide on blank sheets.

If you don’t get better answers soon, do a search in this forum. You should find a ton of suggestions. Walmart carries some 8x11 and composition notebooks that are pretty good, likewise Staples. You need to know what country they are from. From some counties they will work, others like tissue paper.

Red and Black is brand that is well thought of.

If you have any of the Japanese stores around Midori is good paper, Apica notebooks are nice. But back to those 8x11 and composition notebooks, they are normally less expensive and good for class notes. They may ghost but but won’t feather if you use a fine enough nib.

I think Amazon will end up being more expensive.

Do you have access to HP laser jet copy paper? In the 32 lb version it is wonderful, 28 lb quite good and 24 lb probably just fine. Yes it is blank, you could run it though a printer and print some lines, graph squares or dots. You can also use a lined paper under each sheet to be a guide on blank sheets.

If you don’t get better answers soon, do a search in this forum. You should find a ton of suggestions. Walmart carries some 8x11 and composition notebooks that are pretty good, likewise Staples. You need to know what country they are from. From some counties they will work, others like tissue paper.

Red and Black is brand that is well thought of.

If you have any of the Japanese stores around Midori is good paper, Apica notebooks are nice. But back to those 8x11 and composition notebooks, they are normally less expensive and good for class notes. They may ghost but but won’t feather if you use a fine enough nib.

I think Amazon will end up being more expensive.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will look to see if Staples or the stationary shop near where I live carry any 32 lb, 28 lb or 24 lb paper. What is a "good" country for Staples notebooks?

Also, when printing your own lines, do you know if it's usually more cost effective to do it yourself or to go to a place like Staples where they usually print large quantities?

Have you tried the everyday essentials paper from superstore? They come in many formats. Additional formats available in the shoppers stationery section. From time to time, pc optimum may give you an offer on paper. x amount of points with x dollars spent. it usually comes up around back to school season.

I recently tried the 9 cent loose leaf paper I got from loblaws. fp friendly with platinum black, merangue black and parker quink. Slight bleedthrough with lamy black.

alternatively you can try the staples sustainable earth notebooks. Those retail for 6.49 each. Those can take wetter inks. I found the superstore paper has some bleedthough with wetter inks.

Edited by bluebellrose

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will look to see if Staples or the stationary shop near where I live carry any 32 lb, 28 lb or 24 lb paper. What is a "good" country for Staples notebooks?

Also, when printing your own lines, do you know if it's usually more cost effective to do it yourself or to go to a place like Staples where they usually print large quantities?

I found that even with the brand names, made in China usually indicate fp friendly paper. Additionally like I said previously Loblaws and their everyday essentials paper is usually fp friendly. Something to do with the paper and the amount of clay they put in. There are some inks that will bleedthough on them.

You could grab the staples sugarcane paper and make your own lines for wetter inks and use superstore paper for dryer inks.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered Staples sugar cane ink, and I will be returning it. I didn't open the printer paper, but the one page of notebook writing feathered immediately. It wasn't the worst feathering in the world, but it feathered. Perhaps to some they don't mind that and to each their own. The ink soaked through enough that the back side was useless to write on.

Sustainable Earth by Staples™ Sugarcane-Based Notebook, 9-1/2" x 6", 200 Pages

Item: 773040

Model: 52127-CA

Perhaps the loose printer paper is completely different and no feathering?

• 2 months later...

I ordered Staples sugar cane ink, and I will be returning it. I didn't open the printer paper, but the one page of notebook writing feathered immediately. It wasn't the worst feathering in the world, but it feathered. Perhaps to some they don't mind that and to each their own. The ink soaked through enough that the back side was useless to write on.

Sustainable Earth by Staples™ Sugarcane-Based Notebook, 9-1/2" x 6", 200 Pages

Item: 773040

Model: 52127-CA

Perhaps the loose printer paper is completely different and no feathering?

:( You might have gotten a dud then. Did you order online? I got mine in store and ran my hands though them to be satisfied that the paper is smooth enough.

I have a bunch of cheapie Hilroy notebooks I got for like a dime each. I discovered Platinum Black has no feathering on those notebooks. Someone did a review on Platinum Black here using tissue paper and showed no feathering.

Combine B5 size notebooks are about $2 and paper is quite fountain pen friendly. They are made in Japan where fountain pens are more widely used so the paper bleed resistent to FP inks I find. I buy mine at Daiso.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...