3nding

Here, I found this old post with pictures of exaggerated difference between HoD and Regular Black

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215238-hod-is-not-noodlers-black/page-2

Having read these threads for years, I see a general preference for HoD. Nothing wrong with Black, but very few write on newsprint. HoD works better on the higher quality papers that tends to be found on the forum.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• inkstainedruth

• wallylynn

• rickap

I started with Noodler's black, but it is lackluster and actually turned me off from black inks. It behaves well in pens especially for the the level of permanence it provides.

But I much prefer Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It works very reliably in any nib and pen I use it with. It's a beautiful rich black the likes of which I have only experienced elsewhere with Sailor Kiwa-Guro, both of which work very well in pens and on cheap paper

HoD has been easy maintenance for me as well as long as I don't leave it sitting.

I use Noodler's Bulletproof Black - a lot - and I like it - a lot.

It's a very saturated ink that bonds chemically with cellulose. Because it is so saturated,it tends to leave a lot of dried dye on the surface of the paper, and that dye can smear, even after it has dried. As others have noted, the solution to that problem is to dilute it a bit with water.

Here, I found this old post with pictures of exaggerated difference between HoD and Regular Black https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215238-hod-is-not-noodlers-black/page-2 Having read these threads for years, I see a general preference for HoD. Nothing wrong with Black, but very few write on newsprint. HoD works better on the higher quality papers that tends to be found on the forum.

I just posted this in another thread.

The images ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215238-hod-is-not-noodlers-black/?do=findComment&comment=2256611 ) bear this out.

It looks like the drops were made with a micro-pippette, given the drops are all of the same size.

If your paper is more absorbent, use NB. If it is less absorbent, use HOD. If you get smudging with your NB, dilute it with a little (20%) of water. Or use a drier pen. The same applies with any highly saturated ink (Private Reserve, Akkerman, some Diamine, etc).

If NB bleeds through, use Sailor Kiwaguro. If that bleeds through, use a pencil. If that bleeds through, I can't help you any more...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

If that bleeds through, use a pencil. If that bleeds through, I can't help you any more...

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I agree.

I prefer Noodler's HoD, but for papers where that doesn't work I skip Noodler's Black and go straight to Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

NB is great, and not just for the price, but I need more richness out of my blacks. If I'm not using color ink, I need a rich black, otherwise NB is just a tad boring for me, but I will say I do prefer it over many other blacks out there. I guess I'm just picky :P

If that doesn't work I have a Parker Jotter with a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 that is a pleasure and always with me. Those refills are amazing and take forever to go through just one.

Hey guys!

Just an update! After following your advice and letting myself be tempted I bought some Noodler's Bulletproof Black and oh boy had I not be so easily scared, my ink woes would have been over a while ago. So far, I have to say this ink is absolutely great. The wetness is just right for the pen I intended to use it in, it is definitely dark enough for my taste and the lubrication is excellent. I have Waterman Black, Pelikan Brillant Black, Aurora Black and Pilot Black as my other black inks and as much as I like them, this probably surpasses all of them, at least after a week of using it.

Time will tell if this indeed requires more maintenance in my pens and if so, if it is worth the extra maintenance (depending on how much more it is).

Thanks to all of you who answered!

Yes... I posted the same answer in this thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/332713-deep-black-ink-that-is-slightly-wetter-than-pelikan-black/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4005599. I'm not original. :(

Edited by 3nding

Yes and make sure you're using distilled water if you do, and only do it a little at a time. I don't know how much to recommend for Noodler's Black, but with Bay State Blue I go roughly 20% (maximum) of a total fill to prevent feathering with that ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Would you use it in say, a Parker 45 flighter if you really liked that pen?

I use it in my Parker 45 GT (aeromatic) with factory stub nib. Have done so for several years. No problems writing or cleaning.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Would you use it in say, a Parker 45 flighter if you really liked that pen?

Absolutely, those are super easy pens to take apart and clean.