Is It Sacrilegious To Remove The Label From An Old Sheaffer Skrip Bottle?

3nding

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I was about to commit what some of you might call a "crime against humanity", do you think it is sacrilegious to remove the label from an old Sheaffer Skrip Bottle that has an inkwell?

I intend to use the bottle for storing different black inks and I mostly bought it for utilitarian purposes because it is great design and bottles like that just aren't made anymore. But I also know it's place in history and was wondering if I was about to ruin an object that has in some sense, historical significance even if it is still quite common...

Here's what it looks like with the label still intact (the picture is badly framed, sorry):

http://i65.tinypic.com/i19x6s.jpg

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• eharriett

• ParkerDuofold

• inkstainedruth

No, they fall off typically during use and so add little to the bottles value because the bottles are common and not realy valuable as a collectables. However, they are valuable as a useful ink bottle, but you will need to make a new liner for the lid to get a good seal. I use thin styrofoam cut from the lid of an egg carton. I find they make a superior receptacle for ink that comes in generic bottles which are not designed with features to aid in filling.

Edited by Parker51

No, they fall off typically during use and so add little to the bottles value because the bottles are common and not realy valuable as a collectables. However, they are valuable as a useful ink bottle, but you will need to make a new liner for the lid to get a good seal. I use thin styrofoam cut from the lid of an egg carton. I find they make a superior receptacle for ink that comes in generic bottles which are not designed with features to aid in filling.

What he said.

Although I have a serious problem with said seals and am now trying to learn how to replace them in my Skrip Bottles.

And, should you ever want to try and sell/give away those Skrip bottles, keep the label and glue it back on. Will be fine, probably better than before.

If you're going to be putting a different ink into the bottle, you probably want to be on the safe side and sterilize the bottle and cap. You can use bleach solution, but if you can find stuff called "B-Brite" -- which is a strong oxidizer -- it's easier to use (it's what homebrewers use to sterilize equipment, bottles and caps).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: You probably also want to make your own label for the bottle once you put your own ink into it.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

ETA: You probably also want to make your own label for the bottle once you put your own ink into it.

I'm trying to do that right now with a broken quart bottle of Skrip Washable Purple (vintage). I stink at any kind of visual arts.

Hi 3nding,

I don't know... I find myself in disagreement with my fellow FPN'ers... had the label not said "Chemopure"... I might have given you a pass; albeit, the purist that I am... but how can you tamper with superb vintage jargon like "Chemopure"? :huh:

- Anthony ;)

P.S.: Do as you like... it's your bottle. Be well and enjoy life. :)

P.S. 2: Do you fear regrets if you do? :unsure:

Hi 3nding,

I don't know... I find myself in disagreement with my fellow FPN'ers... had the label not said "Chemopure"... I might have given you a pass; albeit, the purist that I am... but how can you tamper with superb vintage jargon like "Chemopure"? :huh:

- Anthony ;)

P.S.: Do as you like... it's your bottle. Be well and enjoy life. :)

P.S. 2: Do you fear regrets if you do? :unsure:

Hi Anthony,

Well it is indeed that "Chemopure " is word that makes it... show it's age (in a good way) :lol:

I do fear regrets just a little bit. The little historian in me feels bad to deface an "historical artifact" in such a way but the slightly larger engineer in me feels that if it's an object with a practical purpose then it's meant to used in a practical way and if the defacing can be done in respectful way it's not toooooooo bad. :D

Have a good one! :)

Well I think I will be removing it carefully after having figured out how to glue back just in case. :)

Fair enough. :thumbup:

Hi Anthony,

Well it is indeed that "Chemopure " is word that makes it... show it's age (in a good way) :lol:

I do fear regrets just a little bit. The little historian in me feels bad to deface an "historical artifact" in such a way but the slightly larger engineer in me feels that if it's an object with a practical purpose then it's meant to used in a practical way and if the defacing can be done in respectful way it's not toooooooo bad. :D

Have a good one! :)

Hi 3nding,

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are similar conundrums in the old car racket,... such as should you replace the original 6-volt system with a modern 12-volt system? A couple of the chief benefits of switching are brighter lights for greater visibility and easier starts.

The purists say if you go through the entire system and clean the corrosion build-up off of all of the contacts and points; the old 6-volt systems can be just as good and you retain the cars originality. Meanwhile, the modernists say, if I have to go through the entire system and scrub points and connections, I might as well replace the component and upgrade it to 12v and have new, reliable and more accurate guages, lights, fuses, etc.

You can see the conundrum. :unsure:

I've seen more riots break out at car clubs over the 6/12 debate than LA saw when the Rodney King verdict was released.

Fortunately, I always had the advantage of being a peacemaker/referee or confused spectator in these brawls rather than an actual combatant, since I've never owned a car built prior to '56, ('55 being the last year for the 6v), IIRC.

The bottom line is, it's your bottle... do what works best for you... and you've already addressed above what I used to say... save the original parts and have the best of both worlds. :D

You have a good one, too. :)

- Anthony

Typos & Text Clarification

Edited by ParkerDuofold

It's only an old bottle, not a "valuable antique artefact"

I think they are better without those labels on, and some of mine have fallen off anyway. So no worries.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to do that right now with a broken quart bottle of Skrip Washable Purple (vintage). I stink at any kind of visual arts.

I'm not stinky at the visual arts and have designed labels for jars around the house and for props. If you decide you'd like a custom label, let me know via PM. I'll be happy to show you jpegs of my other work.

Although I have a serious problem with said seals and am now trying to learn how to replace them in my Skrip Bottles.

You can use a foam plate. Cut a circle. It works perfectly.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You can use a foam plate. Cut a circle. It works perfectly.

Yep. Seems like all the egg cartons I see anymore are paper board.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'm guessing that the bottle sans label will be ever so much easier to use than it had been before. More visibility! And most glass bottles and jars are so much better looking without their labels. (Though I rather like the old mason jars whose "labels" were made of the glass itself.)

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Yes. If you remove a Skrip label, especially from a Chemopure-treated bottle of Sheaffer, W.A. and Craig Sheaffer will knock on your door tonight. Your only hope is that George and Ken Parker are happy and will guard you.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I removed the label from an old Montblanc round "shoebox" bottle to refill with Noodler's Heart of Darkness. The bottle looks better without the Montblanc label, though it was very hard to remove.

Done it. The label peeled off easily though, so I saved it.

Perharps you should avoid thunder storms for a while lest thee be stricken by lightening.

G. Lalo, Clairefontaine, Cranes, Fabriano Mediovalis, Rhodia, Strathmore and HP Laser Copy Paper

3 De Atramentis, 7 Diamine, 2 Iroshizuku, 4 J Herbin, 1 Mont Blanc, 8 Noodler's, 3 Rohrer & Klinger, 1 Sailor's

After I'm done with ANY bottle, I soak off the label and stick it on my file cabinet.