• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• lapis

• KKay

• Inkvisible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lovely review of this very nice ink. Thank you. Your photos are wonderful.

I did some quick swatches of some other olive green inks for comparison. Although none are exactly the same the closest, on this paper, are Sailor Tokiwa-matsu and Mb Daniel Defoe.

I find that GvFC inks are very paper dependent. Here, it looks less grey-green, and more yellowish, on this paper (HP Premium Copy 100gsm). It also appears more saturated, whereas on less absorbent papers it is more usually a beautiful muted ink, with lots of gorgeous shading.

I do have a bottle of Monteverde Olivine but it is on the other side of the planet at the moment, so I couldn't include it in this comparison.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the new 2018 Pelikan Edelstein olive ink when it's released.

post-100486-0-64386700-1517921564_thumb.jpg

Verba volant, scripta manent

Migo, you did it again! Thanks for that comparison!! Now we just have to wait another 24 days for th real thing ('cuz Peli told me that their gem LEs are always issued (officially) on the first of March).....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

An update to my report that Olive Green (and all other GvFC inks) is available on the GvFC US web site. This site is using rather clever e-commerce software that can, at its option, forward your order to an authorized dealer, who then ships the item to you. In my case, Fahrney's received the order and already has the inks on the way to me. I don't have a problem with that, but it must be rather complicated keeping track of what's in stock, and it was somewhat of a surprise to receive emails both from GvFC and from Fahrney's regarding shipment.

My only problem with this system is that I cannot look up my order on the Fahrney's web site, because it was not placed there using my login. There is no login or password used on the GvFC web site. Sometimes I need to refer to a past order to verify a date of purchase or a price, or just to refresh my memory about what came from where. I do have a Fahrney's invoice number, but it doesn't show up on my order page. They did provide a tracking number, which I appreciate.

Edited by jmccarty3

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

This is a lovely ink. I hope to try it before too long. I really like their ink, and the bottles from what I've tried thus far. Good to know about the free shipping too!

This is a lovely ink. I hope to try it before too long. I really like their ink, and the bottles from what I've tried thus far. Good to know about the free shipping too!

I ordered my Olive ink on February 6 & it arrived today, February 8, via Federal Express. I wondered when I ordered mine & was charged shipping, if there wasn't perhaps a minimum order for the gratis shipping. I called to thank them for the speed of which my order was delivered & indeed it is "free, if over $50.00." I didn't mind the fee, it is surely not excessive, considering the shipment is handled from Federal Express. I only offer this explanation if the cost of shipping is relevant to your choice of Retailer; Fahrneys' charge is $4.95 for orders under $40 & they have had this color ink in stock.

I look forward to filling a pen from this bottle as soon as it has dried from it's flush. It may not be my favorite olive green but I always enjoy a "new one," & there is NO company that's packaging is more elegant than GvFC!

Their packaging is, yes, among the most elegant, but the whole bottle itself, especially its cap IS the best. IYAM.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I ordered my Olive ink on February 6 & it arrived today, February 8, via Federal Express. I wondered when I ordered mine & was charged shipping, if there wasn't perhaps a minimum order for the gratis shipping. I called to thank them for the speed of which my order was delivered & indeed it is "free, if over $50.00." I didn't mind the fee, it is surely not excessive, considering the shipment is handled from Federal Express. I only offer this explanation if the cost of shipping is relevant to your choice of Retailer; Fahrneys' charge is $4.95 for orders under $40 & they have had this color ink in stock.

I look forward to filling a pen from this bottle as soon as it has dried from it's flush. It may not be my favorite olive green but I always enjoy a "new one," & there is NO company that's packaging is more elegant than GvFC!

Thank you, that was helpful. I can't buy any ink right now, but maybe I can buy some in the future. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Their packaging is, yes, among the most elegant, but the whole bottle itself, especially its cap IS the best. IYAM.

I agree, of course; when I wrote the sentence I pondered whether "packaging" included the bottle & in my mind it did. I questioned myself because I feared another viewer saying that Louis Vuitton was MORE elegant or Hieronymus, or even the newly released Colorverse; I decided that BECAUSE of the bottle, inclusive to the "packaging," it was a safe declaration. I really admire the bottles from the other mentioned companies but as much as they are beauties of design, they cannot compete, for me, with the elegance & functionality of the GvFC bottle & having just opened my bottle to fill a pen, I was again pleasantly reminded by the feel of the cap, when turning it to open!

• 2 weeks later...

This was an ink review so beautifully done I am now in the process of purchasing the Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black! The ink is great and looks wonderful with the pen. Can you tell me how you purchased the stub nib? Is it a factory stub or is it a B turned into a stub by a talented Nibmeister? Ive never owned a Montegrappa pen so Im unfamiliar with their F, M and B nibs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The cartridges make cheap samples - I don't know why people don't think of them more often as a way into what is quite an investment for a bottle of ink, even if when looked at per cc it is not the most expensive (and MB seems determined to make G von FC inks quite the bargain). If you can rustle up a pen which takes international carts, you are sorted!

I too feel that G von FC inks have had a pretty raw deal, a bit like the way Pelikan Edelstein inks were generally dismissed when they were first introduced. The new Turquoise has a particularly subtle greyish green tinge to it, the Electric Pink stands out in a crowded field of hot pinks, and the Violet Blue has one of the most astonishing colour changes in all inkdom as it dries.

Only this morning packs of Olive Green and Cognac have arrived for my delectation, and I think that Olive Green may be worth a bottle. German pens tend to be very wet, and I think my Pelikans will enjoy them very much.

John

The cartridges make cheap samples - I don't know why people don't think of them more often as a way into what is quite an investment for a bottle of ink, even if when looked at per cc it is not the most expensive (and MB seems determined to make G von FC inks quite the bargain). If you can rustle up a pen which takes international carts, you are sorted!

I too feel that G von FC inks have had a pretty raw deal, a bit like the way Pelikan Edelstein inks were generally dismissed when they were first introduced. The new Turquoise has a particularly subtle greyish green tinge to it, the Electric Pink stands out in a crowded field of hot pinks, and the Violet Blue has one of the most astonishing colour changes in all inkdom as it dries.

Only this morning packs of Olive Green and Cognac have arrived for my delectation, and I think that Olive Green may be worth a bottle. German pens tend to be very wet, and I think my Pelikans will enjoy them very much.

John

I agree completely with all you said.

The other bonus with GvFC inks is that many exhibit pretty reasonable water resistance Good to know if that’s an issue or concern.

The Violet Blue was given a rough ride on release and is still not widely liked - but I love it. It’s one of my favourite shading inks and for a vintage vibe is second to none.

Enjoy the Cognac. It’s not a favourite of mine but it’s still a good ink and I love that it looks just like salted caramel sauce :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

• 4 weeks later...

Not only is this a beautiful ink, I am once again envious of your amazing calligraphy. Truly wonderful.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

Wonderful photos and great review. The ink does look nice but I think I want to try the up-coming Edelstein first. The GvFC carts are a great way to test their inks, I got mine for $5 a pack (just Deep Sea Green and Garnet, so far) and, as you say, the price for 70mm is not out of line.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 5 years later...