Parker 45 Clicking Nib

gibbs

I have a parker 45 fitted with an extra fine nib. While I was at work it rolled off my knee onto the floor, I am now starting to question whether its a rule that the rarer a nib is the more likely something is to go wrong as I've placed my TWSBI down in exactly the same way more time than I can count and it's never moved.

The nib shifted slightly but with very gentle pressure from my thumbnail, it went back into place.

Luckily I had brought my other 45 nibs into work with me to give them a dunk into some gold cleaner so I had something to compare it to.

Even before I put it back into place it continued to write fine and still does after however, I noticed that it occasionally clicks if my angle changes past a certain point while writing.

Now I am not 100% sure if it did click before the fall as I had only fitted the nib the day before and hadn't used it much. But I am wondering is it something that I should take steps to fix and if so what would be the best course of action. Or considering the fact that it writes fine should I just leave it be.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gibbs

• ac12

• inkstainedruth

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

I have a parker 45 fitted with an extra fine nib. While I was at work it rolled off my knee onto the floor, I am now starting to question whether its a rule that the rarer a nib is the more likely something is to go wrong as I've placed my TWSBI down in exactly the same way more time than I can count and it's never moved.

The nib shifted slightly but with very gentle pressure from my thumbnail, it went back into place.

Luckily I had brought my other 45 nibs into work with me to give them a dunk into some gold cleaner so I had something to compare it to.

Even before I put it back into place it continued to write fine and still does after however, I noticed that it occasionally clicks if my angle changes past a certain point while writing.

Now I am not 100% sure if it did click before the fall as I had only fitted the nib the day before and hadn't used it much. But I am wondering is it something that I should take steps to fix and if so what would be the best course of action. Or considering the fact that it writes fine should I just leave it be.

There is a rule, "a pen that fall, will land on it's nib."

You need to define clearer, what you mean by "if my angle changes past a certain point while writing."

Your pen angle should NOT change as you write. This is a writing issue.

The pen angle above the paper and it's rotational angle should be constant, as you write from left to right across the page.

If the pen writes OK, leave it alone.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I wonder if the nib collar just loosed a little? Parker 45 nibs are easy to take apart. I'd disassemble it, clean every thing up and put it back together.

Disassembly instructions by FPN user Neocaligato here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/166648-parker-45-disassembly-in-easy-steps/

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Pix would help.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I wonder if the nib collar just loosed a little? Parker 45 nibs are easy to take apart. I'd disassemble it, clean every thing up and put it back together.

Disassembly instructions by FPN user Neocaligato here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/166648-parker-45-disassembly-in-easy-steps/

I took the pen apart and soaked it for a while before reassembly and the clicks have reduced alot

Heres some pics i couldn't get it to focus on the tip so I'm hoping to get some using the loupe at work today

post-136955-0-71269300-1517728074_thumb.jpg

post-136955-0-64815200-1517728156_thumb.jpg

The nib is out of alignment in the head on shot, but how is the alignment at writing angle?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The nib is out of alignment in the head on shot, but how is the alignment at writing angle?

+1

The nib tines clearly look out of alignment. Using just finhers the OP is advised to realign the tines.

Khan M. Ilyas