Fountain Pen Revolution "himalaya"--Hard To Beat At This Price

writerstephen

Yeah I can't wait to have my first orange pen!

What nib did you get with yours?

Flex! I find it flexes a little easier than noodlers nibs but not as much without pushing it too far. Its a nice nib. I've never had the pen railroad the way I use it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Jamerelbe

• titrisol

• IndigoBOB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flex! I find it flexes a little easier than noodlers nibs but not as much without pushing it too far. Its a nice nib. I've never had the pen railroad the way I use it.

Yeah, I found the FPR flex nibs to flex a tad easier than the Noodler's nibs. They are also indestructible. I've pushed mine really hard to get maximum flex and still never had any railroading or alignment issues. The FPR ebonite flex feeds are amazing and really supply all the ink you need to flex like crazy. Enjoy!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Yeah, I found the FPR flex nibs to flex a tad easier than the Noodler's nibs. They are also indestructible. I've pushed mine really hard to get maximum flex and still never had any railroading or alignment issues. The FPR ebonite flex feeds are amazing and really supply all the ink you need to flex like crazy. Enjoy!

I agree, although for some reason I still prefer Noodler's nibs, either because I am familiar with them or because I am a huge Noodler's fan and am feeling a bit of brand loyalty. Kevin from FPR has been great to deal with and the pens he sells seem great. I am really enjoying the Himalaya

That's something I like a whole lot more about FPR, than Noodler's: The customer service.

I do understand Noodler's/Nathan is basically filling his time to the brim making inks I love, and I do buy the inks as a result, but Kevin can afford me the customer service for his pens I much prefer and have had no QC issues where Noodler's pens have been unpleasant experiences for the most part.

I wish I had not come across this review... cost me $50. But I was able to check a lot of boxes. FPR now has a special, buy over $35 (or maybe it was $40) and get a free Indus pen. So now on the way I have my first ebonite pen (Trevini Jr), my first flex pen (the Treveni Jr.) and my first stub nib (a blue Indus) plus I threw in my first bottle of green Diamine ink to get me free shipping. Yesterday my 'bargain' was getting a Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue for <$150, but compared to today's purchase, the Pelikan deal feels like a ripoff.

Well, my Triveni Jr. (flex) has finally arrived. For ~$40 (plus a free pen as part of the promotion, but that Indus pen has troubles with ink feed to the 1mm stub) it is a fantastic pen and a fantastic deal. It is a nice smaller size pen but easily works unposted. It technically is Maroon & Black, but it really looks like a wood finish, which is very nice. For the price, the quality is excellent, just 2 or 3 unnoticeable pinhole sized white spots in the ebonite and the cap screwing felt a bit rough, but a tiny dab of silicone grease fixed that. The Flex nib is fantastic, except when really trying to flex it. No hard starts or skipping and great ink flow if no hardcore flexing is tried. In fact, I likely won't be using this pen for flexing ability, it is just a solid daily writer. The transaction was easy and shipping was quick. I also got this Diamine ink in the order to get to the free shipping threshold. These are my first Indian pen purchases and no stinky smells that others reference with Indian pens.

40736945384_645566e217_k.jpg

• 1 month later...

OH YEAH !!! I really really really love the brand... My favorite so far are the Himalaya's, but also the Kamwrite and the Triveni models with flex nibs. I know our modern flex nibs are nothing to compare to vintage flex but they are really really good pens in an affordable price.

I also love very much the gift pen... It's my second one and it's a so smooth writer out of the envelope... perfect little fountain pen. India products beats some of higher brands.

I have a question though Does Kevin writes a personal message to all his customers ? Such a sweet touch ! Thank you Kevin !

Based on my Triveni Jr. experience I have asked for a Himalaya acrylic with flex nib for Father’s Day. It would be my first acrylic. Fingers crossed that my family will come through.

Based on my Triveni Jr. experience I have asked for a Himalaya acrylic with flex nib for Father’s Day. It would be my first acrylic. Fingers crossed that my family will come through.

Hopefully you won't be disappointed: I think the ebonite feeds in the Himalayas give them a slight edge over the Trivenis, when it comes to the use of flex nibs. I have 4 acrylic Himalayas (plus one ebonite), and am trying to resist the temptation to buy more! [Thankfully the remaining acrylic colours don't appeal to me as much as the ones I already have...]

Question what is the differences between the two triveni ? Junior and the other one ? They seem to be ebonite both.

Question what is the differences between the two triveni ? Junior and the other one ? They seem to be ebonite both.

Primarily length - the Triveni is a longer pen, with the Jr being a more pocketable/"normal" length.

Also I believe the full size Trivenis used to come with a black section VS the matching section on the Jr, but looking at their site it looks like the section now matches in most finishes.

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

as @flyingpenman indicated, the primary difference is length - the Trivenis haven't used the black plastic (Serwex MB) grip sections for some time now.

Here's a picture for comparison: the upper two pens are Triveni Jr (with #6 nibs); the lower pen an older Triveni full-size (with the smaller #5 nib).

fpn_1523546570__triveni_x3.jpg

as @flyingpenman indicated, the primary difference is length - the Trivenis haven't used the black plastic (Serwex MB) grip sections for some time now.

Here's a picture for comparison: the upper two pens are Triveni Jr (with #6 nibs); the lower pen an older Triveni full-size (with the smaller #5 nib).

fpn_1523546570__triveni_x3.jpg

I like the colors of these pens, but neither of the nib combos seems (to me) to have the right proportionality for the barrel lengths.

• 1 year later...

Continuing nib-changing discussion in the appropriate Himalaya #5.5 thread, from Himalaya v2 #6 review thread.

I've received a Pelikan CN nib (supposedly EEF, but it writes like a Sailor 14K/21K F, maybe even a touch wider, and that's with pretty dry ink) and took a while to make it fit well in Himalaya #5.5. The issue is that the CN nib's shoulders are slightly too wide for the opening in the #5.5 Himalaya section, so the nib kept getting slightly deformed when pushing it in, and nib slit spacing was widening at the tip as a result. The tines need to slightly touch at the tip for extra fine nibs, to ensure ink flow, and that wasn't happening. The tines would properly touch when the nib was not inserted. I've resolved it by using a metal nail file to slightly widen the opening in the section at the front with 2 shallow grooves filed into the otherwise round hole.

So far so good. This CN EEF nib writes finer than Fine Ultraflex nib, but not sure about it being compared to the new Extra Fine grind on all Ultraflex nibs (both #5.5 and #6 sizes now have EF tipping for Ultraflex nibs).

I'm not really seeing anything special in my particular Pelikan CN nib other than it writing quite narrowly for a Western nib. It's pretty nail like, which I guess is good to maintain a very fine point, and doesn't feel like it has much spring in writing. I will appreciate it still in the Himalaya for the fine point.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 2 weeks later...

I love my new 5.5 Himalaya but with the EF nib and even 4001 it's too wet - any chance Platinum Carbon would help or do I need a different nib?