Fountain Pen Revolution "himalaya"--Hard To Beat At This Price

writerstephen

Dang it!

Parker cartridge also cracked, I didn't refill, but noticed pen began glorping....

Another no-go :(

Thanks for the update and your continued experiments with this!

Fingers crossed that the Parker cartridge will work long term.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Jamerelbe

• titrisol

• IndigoBOB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dang it!

Parker cartridge also cracked, I didn't refill, but noticed pen began glorping....

Another no-go :(

Aww nuts. I wonder if a Sheaffer cartridge might work. They are just simple cylinders with no taper or seams that could crack. If you cut the end off, they also have the widest opening. I'd try it myself, but they are too precious where I live.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Agree, when I was a kid I had all sorts of colors... now they are prrrecccioouusss

Aww nuts. I wonder if a Sheaffer cartridge might work. They are just simple cylinders with no taper or seams that could crack. If you cut the end off, they also have the widest opening. I'd try it myself, but they are too precious where I live.

What is the diameter of the Himalaya barrel? Thank you!

External diameter tapers down from ~12mm (top) to ~10.5mm (bottom of barrel); internal diameter (according to my caliper) is around 8mm.

These great pens are all 20% off this weekend! After 2 months of waiting, I was finally able to order a saffron model today. :)

Im not a big fan of acrylic as pen material.

I am crazy about the Himalaya as a pen design and I own both of FPRs Himalaya offerings in Ebonite.

I had emailed FPR to ask about an ebonite Himalaya in plain black.

I see now on their site, a black Himalaya is there, only that its black acrylic.

I feel that all my hopes for a black ebonite Himalaya have just been dashed. Slim to no chance of that happening now.

Another 3 himalaya fps ordered.

Hi, my names Jeff and Im a penaholoic

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was tempted to do the same because of the gorgeous new colors. Instead I thought I'd try something new, so I picked up a Jaipur and Darjeeling along with the Himalaya.

Im not a big fan of acrylic as pen material.

I am crazy about the Himalaya as a pen design and I own both of FPRs Himalaya offerings in Ebonite.

I had emailed FPR to ask about an ebonite Himalaya in plain black.

I see now on their site, a black Himalaya is there, only that its black acrylic.

I feel that all my hopes for a black ebonite Himalaya have just been dashed. Slim to no chance of that happening now.

I quite like both ebonite and acrylic, but I know tastes differ - just wanted to suggest a slightly more expensive alternative: the Triveni Jr, which is just a little less 'pretty' a design but offers a #6 nib, is available in black ebonite right now. I ordered a "deep blue" ebonite Triveni Jr back in January (reviewed at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334602-new-and-improved-triveni-junior-from-fountain-pen-revolution/), and have to say that if anything I like it *more* than my (several) Himalayas, even though it's not as attractive to look at...

I wouldn't give up hope, though, on a black ebonite Himalaya - if Kevin (and whoever manufactures these for him) can see a market for it, there's every chance they'd consider it down the track.

Edited to add: FPR Himalaya next to Triveni Jr (updated version) - green ebonite vs dark blue...

fpn_1522478718__fpr-triv-him04.jpg

Edited by Jamerelbe

That is a lovely subtle dark blue ripple! I'd love to see that on a smaller pen like the Himalaya.

You know, I've been having that problem with mine, since I've been putting it to use on a regular basis. I've been using Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It would write well for a page then simply quit on me and dry up.

Yesterday I cleaned it out, flushed it, washed the feed with pen flush, and heat set the nib. I didn't have this problem before, but I did install a new feed and nib, so that could be the problem. It may have residue left over from manufacturing. I would be surprised if it is an issue with the ink since the pen is so wet.

I will re-ink it today with HoD again and see if I get that same problem. I hope it improves because I've found it to be a very enjoyable daily carry pen.

Took the newly cleaned out Himalaya for a spin re-inked with HoD... Had the same problem happen...

...Gave it a flick or two, and it worked. Probably an air bubble the had surface tension that blocked the inkflow. Despite HoD's wetness laying down a thicker line, it is a rather dry ink when it comes to flow, so I might give other inks I have a try, like Noodler's Black and Old Manhattan, which have better flow.

My Himalaya feed dries up on me, even after priming. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

My first guess would be that lack of a good connection between nib and feed is causing the drying out, so it's worth trying to heat set the feed (Kevin has a great video about how to do it on the fpr website, Brian Goulet also has a similar video). You'll also want to check whether or not the problem is with the nib. Maybe the tines are too close together at the end and thus not letting enough ink through to the tip.

What inks and papers have you been using when this drying out has happened? Those are also possible culprits.

My first guess would be that lack of a good connection between nib and feed is causing the drying out, so it's worth trying to heat set the feed (Kevin has a great video about how to do it on the fpr website, Brian Goulet also has a similar video). You'll also want to check whether or not the problem is with the nib. Maybe the tines are too close together at the end and thus not letting enough ink through to the tip.

What inks and papers have you been using when this drying out has happened? Those are also possible culprits.

Thank you, I'll give heat setting a try. It's a flex nib so I don't think it is the tines.

It's a variety of inks. Kon peki and Sheaffer blue are the most recent.

Thank you, I'll give heat setting a try. It's a flex nib so I don't think it is the tines.

It's a variety of inks. Kon peki and Sheaffer blue are the most recent.

Those are usually trouble-free inks, so it's probably a feed thing.

Before going to the trouble of heat setting, it wouldn't hurt to give the feed a vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush in soapy water and wash it out. Some debris from the manufacturing process may be in there causing the hang up.

Mine came in a few days ago. It is an amazing pen and the Safron acrylic is beautiful if you like orange. I had to align the tines and I may smooth the nib a bit, but that is just preference. I also flossed the nib with some brass to clean it out. The pen performs fantastically now, feels nice in the hand, and is gorgeous. Total winner and glad I bought it.

Edited by tleek

Mine came in a few days ago. It is an amazing pen and the Safron acrylic is beautiful if you like orange. I had to align the tines and I may smooth the nib a bit, but that is just preference. The pen performs fantastically, feels nice, and is gorgeous. Total winner and glad I bought it.

Mine came in a few days ago. It is an amazing pen and the Safron acrylic is beautiful if you like orange. I had to align the tines and I may smooth the nib a bit, but that is just preference. I also flossed the nib with some brass to clean it out. The pen performs fantastically now, feels nice in the hand, and is gorgeous. Total winner and glad I bought it.

Yeah I can't wait to have my first orange pen!

What nib did you get with yours?