February: Hangin' In The Shade - 2018 Monthly Ink Combo Project

lgsoltek

fpn_1518457244__img_3666.jpg

Love that combo! The blue-black looks a lot like #09 (Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo). I wouldn't have put those two colors together, but they look pretty good. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't shoot me - this pic only has one ink in it, but it's an addition to my current set of inked pens. Maybe I'll add another before the month is out (if another pen goes dry so I have an excuse to ink again this month)...

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/201802_CBE.jpg

I recently reviewed SBRE Brown ink, and believe it's currently available from Akkerman's. I presume that's where Vaness buys it from.

If you can't get it please PM me.

Thank you so much, Chrissy!!

Mission accomplished. I paid more for shipping than I've ever paid for shipping ink, but no regret.

I must have been asleep at the wheel —I missed the discussion of "chameleon" characteristics of inks. Do I presume correctly that they are inks that change color depending on paper and/or pen?

I wonder if I have any of these in my collection... :unsure:

Yes, that's right. "Chameleon" characteristic for me means the ink drastically changes color, quality, sheen, etc., depending on pen and/or paper. Of course I understand that most inks will somewhat vary depending on pen and paper, but these inks are extreme. I don't remember where I've picked the term up, but it's usually used to describe Sailor Jentle Rikyu-Cha, or Pen & Message Cigar. I've noticed it with Diamine Salamander as well. It seems that it's mostly murky green-browns that have this characteristic.

Great combo's so far - congrats to all. I really enjoy this year's "dual ink" challenges... a big part of the fun for me is to find inks that work well together within the constraints of the months' theme. For the shading theme, I finally decided on Papier Plume Bayou Nightfall in combination with kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara - they complement each other nicely.

fpn_1518549532__hangin_in_the_shade_300p

Hmmm. I wasn't overly impressed with Soft Snow of Ohara. Clearly I need to give my sample another look -- possibly in a broader nib. And I'm guessing also on better paper....

What paper did you use, namrehsnoom?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmmm. I wasn't overly impressed with Soft Snow of Ohara. Clearly I need to give my sample another look -- possibly in a broader nib. And I'm guessing also on better paper....

What paper did you use, namrehsnoom?

This was done on Tomoe River, and written with a 1.5mm calligraphy nib from Lamy

Thank you so much, Chrissy!!

Mission accomplished. I paid more for shipping than I've ever paid for shipping ink, but no regret.

I'm glad they still had some. :)

Excellent combination of colors —and two of my all-time favorite inks, too. I have to admit that I have not gotten as much shading from Fire Opal as you, but I suspect that the vintage Pelikan 400NN with fine semi-flex nib has a lot to do with my getting less obvious shading.

I'll have to try that ink in a more generous broad nibbed pen... ;)

And I LOVE your floral border!!

Edited by HalloweenHJB

I don't think the shading is showing here...

Copy paper:

fpn_1518692188__jpeg_image-d27f8d758a91-

Tomoe River:

fpn_1518692148__jpeg_image-d27f8d758a91-

Midori:

fpn_1518692152__img_6598.jpg

Canson:

fpn_1518692157__img_6461.jpg

Oh now you're making me want El Dorado....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Couple inks added to my original. Sorry, I don't think the color is quite right...

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/201802HanginInTheShade2.jpg

Excellent combination of colors —and two of my all-time favorite inks, too. I have to admit that I have not gotten as much shading from Fire Opal as you, but I suspect that the vintage Pelikan 400NN with fine semi-flex nib has a lot to do with my getting less obvious shading.

I'll have to try that ink in a more generous broad nibbed pen... ;)

Thank you for your kind words!

I have Fireopal in a MB pen, I believe it's just a M nib but a rather wet writer indeed. Those are more my kind of pens, so i lack experience and means to compare with finer, dry ones.

And of course the Tomoe River paper plays its part. I honestly don't see any practical or daily use for it (too thin, too light, long drying time...), but when it comes to making inks shine... :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to the game but finally got pens inked up and my exemplar scanned in:

fpn_1519854008__february_2018_inks.jpg

One of the problems was time. Another was that I had too many pens inked up (I've been madly flushing in anticipation of both new pens arriving in the mail in combination with trying to figure out what I was bringing with me to the Baltimore Pen Show -- both in terms of use and for getting repaired, as well as a couple that are being tossed in to use for color comparisons as well as if I buy any nifty inks -- which of course I will...). And the third was just trying to figure out what inks both looked good together *and* shaded well on various papers -- who would have thought that the really absorbent Piccadilly sketch book paper would bring out the shading more with some inks than good paper like Rhodia or Tomoe River.... :huh:

ETA: On my screen, the IG Turquoise is a lot bluer and less green/teal than it is in real life, whereas the Terra Cotta shows up a lot redder and less orange brown than it really is.... :(

ETA: Well, apparently I'm wrong about which Vector the IG Turquoise is in. Apparently it's NOT the calligraphy nib, but the one that was supposed to be a B but is more like a stub (and possibly a home-done jobby at that...). :blush:

Edited by inkstainedruth

This month's picks were really easy; 2 super shading inks I love:

Excellent combination of colors —

+1