J. Herbin (Waterproof) Poussière De Lune Look-A-Like: Noodler's De Lune

eyesa

J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune is deservedly a much sought after ink, but sadly it slips off the page upon the first threat of water. Diamine Damson, Robert Oster's Barossa Grape and Purple Rock are also close contenders in the dusty purple range. I wanted an ink of the same hue which held its ground, which meant of course, my turning once again to Noodler's.

Noodler's has many purples of varying degree of water resistance and color range. His closest purple to Poussière de Lune is his Purple Wampum (which sadly, also is not water resistant at all.)So I began with Noodler's bulletproof La Reine Mauve. It's a beautiful purple and waterproof (imparting the slightest pink haze with water), but lacks Poussière's depth, to my eye. So I set about replicating Poussière de Lune in a waterproof loo-a-like. Here are my results:

Stable in vial & pen (no noticeable negative chemical reaction.)

Totally waterproof.

Behaves well for its level of waterproofness.

the recipe:

1 ML - Noodler's La Reine Mauve

+

1 ML - Noodler's Black Swan In Australian Roses (BSAR)

(note: can +/- slightly to push more blue or red)

+

10 drops Noodler's #41 Brown

Please note: I am unaffiliated with Noodler's inks &/or Nathan's politics

I just have a lot of Noodler's ink.

post-110427-0-56914700-1517420982_thumb.jpeg

post-110427-0-58318500-1517426501_thumb.jpeg

Edited by eyesa

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyesa

• effrafax

• effika

• ductrunggg07

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. You found a use for La Reine Mauve.... (Interesting color, horrible behavior -- probably the messiest ink I've ever tried).

I do have a question about your mix, though, given that there have been several iterations of BSiAR over the years. Your batch looks a fair amount like mine (original batch) but there was a version that was a lot more purple and less red-violet at one point (due to issues with getting the component dyes IIRC) -- and this was more than the usual "Oh, it's Noodler's -- every batch is a little different..." in that there was actually an announcement about it.

So I was wondering which batch you had: original, intermediate formula (the purple stuff), or the reissued version (which I haven't tried).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi Ruth,

I haven't had all versions of BSAR, but yes this definitely leans more red. If my memory serves this was not the 1st, nor the 2nd (bluer version) but the 3rd (back to reddish.) It sounds like you're more familiar than I am, so I'd be inclined to go with your guess of it being the more red-violet version.

It was so 'pinky' to my eye as to be jarring, so I've sought to makes useable mixes with it. I like La Reine for its waterproof properties, but as you say it does have some issues. These have become more apparent with use, such as its tendency to rush out of a nib and also to have some staining issues in pens. It too, I've put aside, for not being interesting enough on its own. Although I do use it on occasion when I want a fully permanent purple ink. At this point I can't say this mix is better than the J Herbin Poussière de Lune. It's not. It's simply a somewhat more interesting color than La Reine, with its imparted quality of waterproofness.

Wow. You found a use for La Reine Mauve.... (Interesting color, horrible behavior -- probably the messiest ink I've ever tried).

I do have a question about your mix, though, given that there have been several iterations of BSiAR over the years. Your batch looks a fair amount like mine (original batch) but there was a version that was a lot more purple and less red-violet at one point (due to issues with getting the component dyes IIRC) -- and this was more than the usual "Oh, it's Noodler's -- every batch is a little different..." in that there was actually an announcement about it.

So I was wondering which batch you had: original, intermediate formula (the purple stuff), or the reissued version (which I haven't tried).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Edited by eyesa

Thank you for your ink test and comparison. The Noodler's de Lune is interesting compared with Poussière. But Reine Mauve seems to be interesting for me.

La Reine Mauve was one of my first inks. I loved it, but it clogged every pen it has ever been in! I have other Noodler's bulletproof inks that don't seem to do that, but something about it just was bad luck.

I think I'll pull out again-- maybe for this mix, maybe just to try once again.

La Reine Mauve was one of my first inks. I loved it, but it clogged every pen it has ever been in! I have other Noodler's bulletproof inks that don't seem to do that, but something about it just was bad luck.

I think I'll pull out again-- maybe for this mix, maybe just to try once again.

Try LRM diluted with 25 - 50% water (yes, 50%). The behaviour improves drastically, and at 25% the colour is almost unchanged. I have it in two pens at 50% dilution (Decimo F nib and a 3776 Maestro M nib) permanently, and it writes like a 'normal' ink. At 50% dilution, the purple does pop out a bit more. At even higher dilutions, it gets closer to Violet Vote which is no longer available. And still extremely permanent.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Try LRM diluted with 25 - 50% water (yes, 50%). The behaviour improves drastically, and at 25% the colour is almost unchanged. I have it in two pens at 50% dilution (Decimo F nib and a 3776 Maestro M nib) permanently, and it writes like a 'normal' ink. At 50% dilution, the purple does pop out a bit more. At even higher dilutions, it gets closer to Violet Vote which is no longer available. And still extremely permanent.

You know, I use that trick with Noodler's Blue-Black but never though to try it with La Reine Mauve! I love how Noodler's inks can be diluted so much with good effect.

Great observation and idea, which may solve a host of problems. Thank you! Will try it :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being late. I have a vintage flex pen, I'd like to have this ink reside in that pen for quite a while. I've read that La Reine Mauve has a lot of problem with clogging/drying out. Do you think this mix will behave well enough to be safely put in a valuable pen ? Thank you.

Edited by ductrunggg07

Sorry for being late. I have a vintage flex pen, I'd like to have this ink reside in that pen for quite a while. I've read that La Reine Mauve has a lot of problem with clogging/drying out. Do you think this mix will behave well enough to be safely put in a valuable pen ? Thank you.

Well, the most expensive pen I have it in (I don't have any very expensive pens) is a Platinum 3776 with an EF nib, which only gets used intermittently. I've experienced no problems at all with that pen. It's also in a Lamy Studio (limited edition Violet, with a medium nib that I stubbed) and no problems there either.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Well, the most expensive pen I have it in (I don't have any very expensive pens) is a Platinum 3776 with an EF nib, which only gets used intermittently. I've experienced no problems at all with that pen. It's also in a Lamy Studio (limited edition Violet, with a medium nib that I stubbed) and no problems there either.

If it's safe in a snap cap pen then I suppose it won't have any problem with a screw cap pen either. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't risk it.

In my own experience, because I like waterproof,saturated ink, I've jettisoned pens that were not entirely 'air-sealed', precisely because I found they don't get along with my preferred inks. I've found older, vintage pens seem more likely to evaporate ink faster. With more heavily saturated and pigmented inks and inks known to clog more because of their chemistry, vintage pens (and especially beloved, expensive or irreplaceable pens) are not a good fit.

I'd err on the side of caution and settle for using this in pens known for their sealing quality or less expensive, replaceable pens.

Do you think this mix will behave well enough to be safely put in a valuable pen ? Thank you. [/font][/color]

Edited by eyesa

Agreed. The 3776's are perfect for La Reine/ La Reine mixtures and any ink said to have drying/clogging issues. I use my 3776's (and Pilot varsities first) as tryout pens for all my ink mixing experiments.

Edited by eyesa

I'd agree with all the above generally. However, note that as the LRM is heavily diluted, drying out is less of a problem to start with. With the Lamy Studio, if I haven't used it in a while, it may need a little help to get started (usually a few drops of distilled water on the nib, and maybe a few more into the converter if it has really dried out) but it's never had any clogging issues: the residue re-dilutes quite readily.

Naturally, YMMV.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

P.S. I live in Queensland, Australia. Pretty warm here, so pens do tend to dry a bit from time to time.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

Makes sense to add a few drops of water, if having any trouble. Great tip to embolden my experimenting ;)

I'm in a generally humid New York, so may have less trouble than some, but am cautious (especially when prescribing to others.)

Thanks for weighing in :)

BTW, to find out if your pen 'leaks air' or isn't particularly well sealed, pour some water in the cap and see if it leaks out. In my experience of vintage pens, many caps do leak air, so nib drying/ink evaporation seems more an issue. I found my vintage oldies often leaked around the clip and even newer rubber/ebonite pens shrink with age. I have one which the cap has shrunk so much it no longer grips the pen body's threads.

it may need a little help to get started (usually a few drops of distilled water on the nib, and maybe a few more into the converter if it has really dried out) but it's never had any clogging issues: the residue re-dilutes quite readily.

Naturally, YMMV.

Edited by eyesa