Ok Confess, Who Lucky *** Nabbed This? Awesome Parker 51 Broad Stub

mana

Woweeeeee...

Too bad it shot past my self imposed limit of £150 + S&H. All things considered the price it eventually went for wasn't so bad but too much for me atm.

To be honest, I already have one 51 with a factory original 1.1-1.2 mm stub (juicy but would like it to be more crisp). It was just that that nib was... so achingly clean and shaped so nicely. I can almost see it leaving behind a beautiful wide, wet but crisp line with amazing line variation. Oh well, the hunt is still on, just lovely to see an outstanding specimen like that. ;)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Manalto

• Runnin_Ute

• Lam1

Very nice. Wasn't me, but that is well beyond my meager budget....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

YOWZA!

I don't do sets, generally, and while I've paid that much or more (for a couple of modern Pelikans), I don't generally have that much to spend on a single pen purchase. But that is one sweet looking nib....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow! That is a hefty price!

I have one of those nibs, acquired about 8 months ago, that is very crispy. I didnt pay nearly as much as the above (lucky eBay purchase: lot of 2, this one + a broad nib, none of which could be seen in the pics). But, I certainly wouldnt part with mine even for that amount.

Edited by Lam1

£100 a each and a few £ for the box. Guess some people might call it a bargain. Almost feel bad for the p***n bidder. They almost had it right till 2 seconds before it ended and then someone sneaked right in. Bet the person was mad.

Not everyone has your extraordinary luck and access to wonderful Parkers, Khan. But, yeah, it's probably a bit too high - that is, unless you really want it.

Edited by Manalto

James

Not everyone has your extraordinary luck and access to wonderful Parkers, Khan. But, yeah, it's probably a bit too high - that is, unless you really want it.

I once got a 51 (from a local auction site) with broad stub nib (exactly like the one linked to above) for $25 as the seller said the nib needs to be replaced as it looks to have been CUT for urdu writing. The seller further said the nib simply is 'no good'. I told him it doesn't matter. I want the pen with that 'no good' nib. And I grabbed it. The seller sounded so happy. He thought he got rid of an unwanted item. :)

How are you, James?

Khan M. Ilyas

I once got a 51 (from a local auction site) with broad stub nib (exactly like the one linked to above) for $25 as the seller said the nib needs to be replaced as it looks to have been CUT for urdu writing. The seller further said the nib simply is 'no good'. I told him it doesn't matter. I want the pen with that 'no good' nib. And I grabbed it. The seller sounded so happy. He thought he got rid of an unwanted item. :)

How are you, James?

Very near ovscene good deal. I have a P51 with a broad Minsukin stub I traded a nice Pelikan for. So, it cost quite a bit. I am not complaining. I try not to write any more, so it makes a nice plaything.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Doing great, Khan, thanks for asking. I bought an older (for the US at least, 1918) fixer-upper house and it's a time vampire! Now that I'm back to work and on a regular schedule, things are a bit calmer.

The house is 1,000 miles away, livable but needs work to be comfortable. I did make it a point, while I was staying and working there, to bring a couple of fountain pens (Platinum 3776 and Lamy whatchamacallit - the plastic one) and some ink, which I used exclusively - when not using a pencil. No vintage pens, however, in that unstable environment, thank you very much.

That broad-nibbed Parker is a dream pen. My 51s (both fine) write with a silky smoothless; I'm now on the prowl for a good stub!

Edited by Manalto

James

YOWZA!

I don't do sets, generally.

I like sets, its very dull I know but I think I am what some collectors call a completist, original pen and pencil, box, instructions etc.

I should also add that I have an unusual accent, English father, Chinese mother brought up speaking mandarin and English and working most of my time in Europe, most Americans have to concentrate to understand me.

But I made a huge mistake at the Miami Pen Show, I picked up and held in my hands a Vacumatic and pencil in a clamshell box and said to the vendor 'I really like sets'

He said, 'perhaps later, but I cannot reduce the price'.

I looked at him for a full minute before I understood what he meant. He was 75 if he was a day.

I few days ago I found in the wild three 51 pencils (two aeros, one vac) for $8 a piece. Today I cleaned and restored all three and paired them with same color period correct 51 FPs.

I too like sets. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Doing great, Khan, thanks for asking. I bought an older (for the US at least, 1918) fixer-upper house and it's a time vampire! Now that I'm back to work and on a regular schedule, things are a bit calmer.

The house is 1,000 miles away, livable but needs work to be comfortable. I did make it a point, while I was staying and working there, to bring a couple of fountain pens (Platinum 3776 and Lamy whatchamacallit - the plastic one) and some ink, which I used exclusively - when not using a pencil. No vintage pens, however, in that unstable environment, thank you very much.

That broad-nibbed Parker is a dream pen. My 51s (both fine) write with a silky smoothless; I'm now on the prowl for a good stub!

Congrats on the new house, James. I too am busy overseeing the construction of a new house in a very good locality (avoiding using the word 'posh') - Sector E-16, 16th Evenue - in the Capital - Islamabad. A very tyring job it is.

Hope you find the stub nibbed 51 sooner than later.

Khan M. Ilyas

(avoiding using the word 'posh')

...or are you?

Good luck on your new house! My tendency is toward the antique and vintage, reflected in pens, houses and mirror reflections.

James

I'll just say I don't dislike sets. But I don't really pursue them. I purchased new a Parker Classic Flighter bp/mp set, Parker Insignia Flighter bp/mp set and I also have a "put together

set. Parker 45 Flighter - first the fountain pen, then a pen pal gifted me a 45 Flighter bp/mp set to go with it. The cap tassie is different on the set versus the fountain pen, but I don't care really. I also had a 51 Special fp/mp set at one time.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain