Colorverse Inks

MHBru

I'm inked up with Vortex Motion right now, and I love it. I'm having trouble seeing sheen, but I'm using a fairly fine nib. The ink goes from a dark plum when wet, to a dark evergreen as it dries. Both components are visible in a paper-towel test. I like it because it's fun, but it also is well-behaved and subtle.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• Chrissy

• MHBru

• EBGBs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-119510-0-61096300-1518128709_thumb.jpeg

They finally arrived. Awesome packaging. Very excited but wont get to try them until next week. May post some pics of the ink then. Cheers.

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

I just ordered the Matter/Anti-Matter ink combo (cool vs. warm gray) of Season 3 from Pen Chalet, because they had given me a 15% coupon for my birthday. I couldn't think of anything better for a math/science geek to use a discount like that on!

• 2 weeks later...

As I have a physics and astronomy degree, the theme of these inks is naturally super attractive to me, beyond the cool colors and that crazy sheen. Just added a sample of Dark Energy to my PenChalet order. Very excited to try it out!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I'm planning to get one for my graduation present with some cool pen. These ink are perfect for engineer as well! I have soft spot for grays, so maybe matter & anti-matter is my choice.

I have been very happy with these new inks; I especially enjoy Space Laika, from Season One. Brane & String, from Season Three were my first bottles & I doubt I will enjoy using Season Three's, Schrodinger as much as I have just smiling @ his "Cat," every time I see it looking @ me!

Unless the bottle start spewing things & pens with them "in use," start dissolving after a few years, I cannot imagine that these are not going to be remembered as some of the most exciting inks to debut in a long while. Even their use of "sparkles/glistening" seems to be "just the right amount," to be effective without the "My Little Pony" gimmickry.

(I consider them to be My "Elixirs" for this new year.)

My generously sized sample of Dark Energy has arrived from PenChalet, and I'm in love! What an amazing ink to write with. The color shift while writing is dramatic and fun to watch. It goes down as a maroon and quickly "sheens over" to a more maroon-brown with a wash of olive green sheen. It's at least as interesting as Sailor Tokiwa Matsu and Rikyu Cha in the sheen and complexity department. Only negative so far is that it takes forever to dry with a wet writer--a full minute. Going to post a mini review soon. Definitely getting a full size kit of that color.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally caved and put in an order from Vanness. Samples of Andromeda, Red Shift, and Vortex Motion with a bottle set of Dark Energy. I loooooooove Rikyu Cha and similarly complex colors so I just couldn't help myself. Also, I'm a sucker for cute little bottles.

Yet another Sarah.

I got two of these as a (belated) birthday present, and have so far tried one.

It's a complete success, even though the color I'm trying now is very familiar and strongly reminds me of Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue: Gravity Wave. Very nice flow, no bleeding, feathering or otherwise bad ink behavior, and a wonderful color. And I love the two bottles in one box. And the care lavished on their packaging. Still thinking of how I'm going to use all those stickers... love the bookmarks, the penstands, not so much.

The only real negative is the cost of shipping. The only option was express mail, and yes, it got here very fast (just one week after ordering!) but shipping cost more than one bottle! so this will probably be one of those one-ofs... especially because the color is so similar to another ink I've got plenty of. And the bottles will be treasured.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have Schrodinger and Cat. I love them. My green Schrodinger sheens metallic blue on Tomoe River. I love it even without the sheen - wonderful green.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen anyone refer to #9, "Sea Europa". It's a dusty, chalky red that I do like, but so far, it's nothing terribly special.

The packaging is completely out of control: it includes a brochure of all the colors, stickers of this color and some of the others, a bookmark, a napkin to wipe up spills... etc.

fpn_1523315441__2018-04-09_164456.jpg

I compared Sea Europa to two other similar inks. Here are the results:

fpn_1523327512__2018-04-09_203318.jpg

I'm joining the club!
I entered the shop with 'Gravity Wave' in mind, and ended up getting 'Morning Star' (both are teals)

My first thoughts are positive. Most importantly I love the ink. The colour is bright and vivid, as green as a teal can be (or the other way round). It is wet - i think I only understand what this means with this ink. It feathers a bit on papers prone to that but nothing terrible. Otherwise it is well behaved.

On a side note; lovely bottle (let's see how convenient it will be as it will be emptied), but I find the rest of the package to be a bit of an overkill. Nice, but overdone; huge box (half empty!), tons of papers (a pen stand?!)... Halloween's photo above shows it all.

If you think poor photos are better than nothing, here you go:

20180410_105206.jpg

Comparison with 2 other teals i had in pens recently;

20180410_105230.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll get more of these Colorverse inks eventually.

I got Gravity Wave, mostly for the name, I think. I like the idea of the extras, although in practice they haven't really worked out very well. I dislike the pen stands, have not found a way to use the stickers (yet) and the bookmark is a bit too pliant.... But while the box is a bit on the big side, I do like looking at it on its perch over my desk, knowing the big bottle is in there waiting for me, while I fill my pens from the little one.

Being a physics teacher, how could I resist? I have Quasar, too, and I love how wet and saturated these inks are, especially on Tomoe River paper.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Goulet's just got these in stock and I bought the Voyager 1 set. If they do a sample set, I might get that as well. I'd love if the tiny bottles were sold on their own and not just as satellites to the bigger bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this set too! Being in Asia I ordered it straight from the Colorverse website

:excl: Don't look any further if you don't want to be spoilt (photo and quick opinion below):

20180421_154800b.jpg

I may or may not do a proper review of these, but first observations/ summary would be:

The colours:

Golden Record: a very nice yellowish-orange, great shading. Reminiscent of the 'golden record' but also of the golden foil the Nasa likes to put on their gear. I'm sold.

Jupiter Flyby: comes out blood-reddish and dries muted reddish-brown. Could be of interest as a darker, red-er sepia colour. Sheens light green. Not my type of colour but I could revisit that; I enjoyed using it. Bonus point for the great name, too.

Pale Blue Dot: greenish teal; totally my type of colour; I love it. Great shading - as often with those.

Interstellar Space: faded camo green. I could see this as almost an everyday writing ink; special without looking wild.

All these inks behave well, and, except maybe Interstellar Space, don't seem to be the easiest to wash.

The other comments:

+ As usually with Colorverse; great, superlative, over-the-top packaging. Awesome graphics. Because all these bottles are of the same size, the box feels less empty than the 65+15 sets.The Voyager-1 data and theme is a very nice addition, geeky and really fits the 'commemorative' bill.

- I would question the colours though. A 'space' set without a proper blue or blurple feels like something is missing?.. I get the Golden Record and Jupiter red-brown, but I'm not sure I get why the pale blue dot is teal and space is green (in my yellow submarine). Don't get me wrong I probably prefer this set like this, without a blue in there, not being a fan of blues, but i just feel a slight dissonance with what the theme would evoke.

+ Definitely the cutest ink bottles in the universe...

- ... however bigger pens' sections won't fit in

- Pricey! $50 set, add shipping. For 60ml of ink in total. That's around a dollar per ml of ink.

+ the Colorverse team's service is top; my ink set was shipped and received in a flash.

• 8 months later...

Anybody here itchin' to pull the trigger on the new Colorverse Limited edition set?

C'mon people,it's only 200 bucks, for an entire army of these cute lil' bottles (in which you can barely stick a pen for filling)

If I were in a sarcastic mood I would say it's just too bad they put them all in a plastic box that looks a lot like the one in which I bought my drill ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Worth noting though a little improvement on the price compared to the previous set (which I bought, and like, for the record. I'm making easy jokes here, not hating Colorverse); you had 4 bottles for $50, now you have 17 for $200. Buy 16 get one free.

Just out of curiosity, and yes boredom at work, that's now $0.78 per ml of ink vs $0.83 in the previous set. On par with Montblanc inks (I took Emerald at $40 for 50ml; $0.8 per ml). Still a long way from the MB elixirs at $70 for 50ml ($1.4/ml).

I shall either get back to work or pick a book about positivity

• 4 months later...

I also saw that 17 ink set in the plastic case for $200 from a number of stores, despite there only being 300 sets released. Seems like a good deal, and Im surprised no one has responded to your post.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I picked up the Quasar from Vanness at the Little Rock Pen show and love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I picked up the Quasar from Vanness at the Little Rock Pen show and love it!

On your recommendation alone, I ordered the set from Goulet, in addition to the Monteverdi Core & Emotions 10 ink sets.

That Pineider Ink Alchemy Set at Goulet looked like a great idea, but that is way too expensive for the small volumes you get.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I picked up the Standard Model Set because Im crazy. I am glad I did, its a nice set. But certainly not one to buy on a whim.

Gobblecup ~