Sailor Profit Standard 14K Zoom Vs Profit Standard 21K Zoom Nib

Simulacrum

Hi, there are lots of threads regarding the various models of the sailor profit/1911 etc... but I have been unable to find an answer to these questions. I've come close, but not quite.

Sailor Profit Standard 14k zoom nib vs Sailor Profit Standard 21k zoom nib.

Are the nibs the same size?

Is the 21k nib a 'better quality' nib ? Smoother writer ? etc..

There are a lot of reviews using the 21k nib on the Pro Gear or the Profit (L) large but not the standard. There are some reviews

Also if possible, a lot of people compare the 21k zoom to being capable of writing a BB line, others say a B. I guess it's a bit of personal opinion there but does the 14k zoom nib produce the same thickness of a line ? And are we talking a 'western' broad or BB, or something closer to a japanese B (western M) ?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simulacrum

• Bluey

• james3paris

• KellyMcJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally, the 21 k are larger than the 14k but not always as there are some smaller 21k nibs. If there is any difference in feel I have yet to notice any pattern. 21k nibs are more easily bent out of shape, that's about the only difference. I really wouldn't go out of my way to get a 21k nib versus a 14k one.

The zoom is similar to a Western BB, perhaps a bit more, but much depends on how wet or dry the nib is. A wet zoom could be wider, a dry zoom could be less wide. I didn't find the zoom at all useful because unless I did cramp inducing contortions with my hand, it wrote with a very broad line, far too broad than what I'm comfortable with. Perhaps there are masterclasses or Degrees available to teach one how to use it skillfully, but I was unable to and thus sold it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be using it for drawing so I don't mind that you can't fluidly switch line variation in one stroke. I think it'll be cool to be able to just change the angle and get lines thinner without having to switch pens. Was your zoom a 14k or a 21k ?

So the 21k is close to a BB (which would be perfect for me). I haven't really been able to find out anyone with a 14 k . The zoom nibs seem to be made differently than a regular nib and so I'm wondering if there could be more of a difference between the 14 and 21k . Most reviews on the zoom are done with the 21 K. But it's $35 more and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks for clarifying the thickness of the 21k nib though. Perfect.

The only zoom 14k nibs I've seen available are on the special editions such as the sky and earth editions.

There is one on the Profit Standard - can choose 14k or 21k if you order from Japan. Much cheaper than buying here.

There is one on the Profit Standard - can choose 14k or 21k if you order from Japan. Much cheaper than buying here.

So, has anyone ever used a 14k sailor zoom nib ? All the reviews are with the 21k version. Everyone says not much difference between 14k and 21k nibs in general, but the zoom nibs seem a bit different, and of course sailor says their 21k nibs are better.

sailor says their 21k nibs are better.

Well of course they'll say that, they want you to spend more money that's why. I would advise you to get the 14k if it's readily available for a lower cost.

I really wouldn't fuss over it too much, you'll enjoy it the same.

Well of course they'll say that, they want you to spend more money that's why. I would advise you to get the 14k if it's readily available for a lower cost.

I really wouldn't fuss over it too much, you'll enjoy it the same.

You think they would write the same in terms of line width ? I'm mostly concerned that maybe the 21k nib is a different size or something. If they both will do a BB line equivalent I dont' really care if it's 14k or 21k . Thanks.

Alright. I found another thread talking about sailor 14k and 21k nibs in general, and a lot of people seemed to prefer the 14k nibs for various reasons. So unless anyone pops in here with some different view on the subject I think I'll save myself $40 and go 14k.

Thanks.

A lot of things that you read on the internet are subjective, so they're often inaccurate. You'll hear "14k nibs are smoother", "21k nibs are smoother", "14k nibs are softer", "21k nibs are softer", "orange are nicer", "apples are nicer"......

Sometimes people let themselves believe that 21k nibs are nicer because there's more gold and they paid more, so it's like an inner justification to themselves. In most cases it just depends on their own limited experience which is often wrong, so that's why you've got to read lots of opinions. And when you do read lots of opinions you'll arrive at this conclusion:

There's zero difference.

I have a pro gear slim with a zoom nib - somewhere about 6 pages back by now probably in the review section I did a review of the nib.

I really do like it, although it's not practical for daily use so is currently unlinked but I miss it and might ink it again soon.

I've never used a 21k zoom so I can't tell you how they compare.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Profit Standard with a 14k Zoom nib. Supposedly arriving between Feb 21 and March 14. Not bad considering the $ 100 savings of buying it here.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

I have been through several 21 K zoom nibs. They all end up getting returned. I really tried to love it, the idea is great, a fantastic Sailor innovation. I thought that it was me, and I didn't get it.

I saw a deal on a 14K zoom clear demonstrator 1911 Standard. "Why not?" I asked myself.

The experience with the 14K zoom nib is a completely different story than the few 21Ks I've been through.

Being a 1911 Standard, the pen is smaller, the nib is smaller, but the size is not a problem for me. I love oversize pens, but I have a few vintage Pelikans that are pure magic in the expressive way that they write or draw. The Pelikan 140 is one of my favorites. The 1911 Standard is a tad larger than that, and it posts comfortably, and then there's the 14K zoom nib, which is much 'stiffer' than the 21K counterpart. When getting a thinner line with a steep angle, the tines stay in place with the 14K, while the 21K there would be a mushiness that would not allow me to get the precise line weight per angle. I wanted to throw the 21K out the window many times due to the inconsistencies. Not so with the 14K. I generally have a light touch, so I am not looking for flex with a nib that changes line weight according to pen angle to page. The steeper the pen angle, the finer the line. The triangular cut and grind of the tipping material allow for that to happen. It does exactly what I expect it to do when I want it to do it. Extra fine lines to broad lines at will. The broad lines put out a lot of ink, so the demonstrator allows for me to see the ink level in the converter. I always keep a Visconti traveling ink pot filled with Platinum Carbon Black in one of the slots of my pen case, so I am always ready to refill when needed. The 1911 Standard 14K zoom nib system plays nicely with Platinum Carbon Black ink. The feed system is, after all, designed to play with the Nano Carbon of the Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink. Kiwa-Guro just isn't waterproof enough for me. I tend to clean out the pens after every third or fourth fill. When there is any flow problem, I simply run the nib under cold water, I don't have to take the pen apart, just use paper towel or a cloth and shake out the excess water, and the pen is up and running smoothly again in no time.

Sorry for rambling on, but having a Zoom nib that does what it is supposed to do makes me very excited, because all of the 21Ks were too soft. the 14K is perfect. The pen is now a tool that allows the heart and soul to express, whatever the pen is being used for. Drawing, writing, whatever. I am in love with the zoom nib now. It has become my constant companion, ready to sketch or write at any given moment with whatever line weight I wish for. I hope this was useful and not too rambling. I sometimes feel like a crazy cat person, but with pens.

Sean

https://creativehabit596445919.wordpress.com/author/seankupisz/

post-123711-0-82914400-1526760827_thumb.jpg