Any Thoughts On The Hero 737?

truthpil

Hi everyone,

I'm talking about the pen, not the plane. Has anyone used one of these??

TB2wLd9gLNZWeJjSZFpXXXjBFXa_!!2850171907

TB21FGEXtPJ3eJjSZFLXXab3FXa_!!2850171907

TB216f6XZGg21JjSZFyXXXIZVXa_!!2850171907

I handled one in a local shop the other day and have been thinking about it ever since.

It has a nice tactile surface, seems well balanced, and looks pretty cool.

At least here in China they cost a lot more than the average Hero pens, retail is around US$27 but that can be had for half that.

Before taking the plunge I thought I'd ask around to get some opinions.

Thanks!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Mech-for-i

• Seele

• sciumbasci

Well, in recent years , Hero's mid ( price ) range pens had stay pretty consistent. I am talking about those pen that cost something like 50 to 150 RMB retail new, generally steel nib except might be for a few specific model with their 10K nib. They are IMHO decent pens , good but not great writers. no particular surprise ( both way ). Mos of these are the more conservatively styled ones, though sometime one might encounter something odd bit. Hero seems to standardize on their 26 sized nib which is no.5 compatible ( somewhat ).

Most of them differ little in the pen part, what really differ is the material and working of the material in concern, mostly metal. I too am eyeing this, but might consider the 738 grey instead. They are all 2017 new release. So how doe the 737 actually feel, glossy or matt, does the surface feel smooth or satin say like raw anodized.

Mech, thanks for the input! I have too many pens now to justify getting "good but not great writers" so I think I'll pass.

The finish is very smooth but not glossy. What I liked was the textured design on the barrel and section. The 738 is a similar concept but looks like it would post better.

Apart from the Hero 100, what Hero pens would be considered truly great writers? I'd like to have at least one excellent example from the brand. My 100 is awful.

Edited by TruthPil

Shape wise, I favour the (elusive) Hero 856

rBVaEVc1KwqAWX61AAIhQ1AhfPQ760.jpg

That IS a nice shape, I just hate the filling system on those. The shape is reminiscent of vintage German piston fillers. Edited by TruthPil

That IS a nice shape, I just hate the filling system on those. The shape is reminiscent of vintage German piston fillers.

TruthPil,

This is a re-issue of the Golden Star 28; since the moribund GS was acquired Hero, some models such as the 565 was re-launched as Hero models, including this. The clear collar is not new as there were other Type 28 models by other makers with that.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

TruthPil,

This is a re-issue of the Golden Star 28; since the moribund GS was acquired Hero, some models such as the 565 was re-launched as Hero models, including this. The clear collar is not new as there were other Type 28 models by other makers with that.

Thanks, Seele. I had noticed the resemblance. What turns me off to all those pens is the aerometric filler system in them. This week I've been using the GLM 691 and was again frustrated by how much work it takes to get a minimal amount of ink in the sac. If only the Chinese aerometric systems worked as well as on the Parker 51 and Duofolds.

Hi everyone,

I'm talking about the pen, not the plane. Has anyone used one of these??

TB216f6XZGg21JjSZFyXXXIZVXa_!!2850171907

I handled one in a local shop the other day and have been thinking about it ever since.

It has a nice tactile surface, seems well balanced, and looks pretty cool.

At least here in China they cost a lot more than the average Hero pens, retail is around US$27 but that can be had for half that.

I agree, I liked the look too so I just took to eBay and ordered one for £8.92, which equates to just over $12. I’m looking forward to receiving it.

I agree, I liked the look too so I just took to eBay and ordered one for £8.92, which equates to just over $12. I’m looking forward to receiving it.

That's great! I look forward to your impressions of the pen!

Thanks, Seele. I had noticed the resemblance. What turns me off to all those pens is the aerometric filler system in them. This week I've been using the GLM 691 and was again frustrated by how much work it takes to get a minimal amount of ink in the sac. If only the Chinese aerometric systems worked as well as on the Parker 51 and Duofolds.

TruthPil,

Originally they were all celluloid button fillers, but re-engineered to be injection-moulded using thermoplastics for larger scale manufacture, and the costlier button filler mechanism was changed to a less costly option.

TruthPil,

Originally they were all celluloid button fillers, but re-engineered to be injection-moulded using thermoplastics for larger scale manufacture, and the costlier button filler mechanism was changed to a less costly option.

That's interesting, I never knew there were Chinese button fillers.

Mech, thanks for the input! I have too many pens now to justify getting "good but not great writers" so I think I'll pass.

The finish is very smooth but not glossy. What I liked was the textured design on the barrel and section. The 738 is a similar concept but looks like it would post better.

Apart from the Hero 100, what Hero pens would be considered truly great writers? I'd like to have at least one excellent example from the brand. My 100 is awful.

What's wrong with your 100, generally I have been quite satisfied with the 100 but then I've been using them for decades and know the in and out ( and all the quirkiness ) of it and had the tools to do my own tuning.

Plenty of great writer from the brand but I caution, what's great for me might only be good for you or just so so, and what's so so for me might be great for others ( say I am really not keen on zero feedback butter smooth nib but hey many like that ) The 856 ( other than its ancient feed mechanism ) got to be one of the great writer in recent production and still cataloged .. Its by default come in a ( broader than Medium ) M ( its labelled as 0.7 but write broader I say ) and smooth too without losing the needed feedback.

You might want to goto a shop and try Hero's new hooded nib models and also their numerous 10K gold nib pens like the H708 or my favorite the H703. Check all the no.5 nib model, there is actually 2 size Hero made , one is the typical no.5 , what's termed size 26 and then there is a smaller version which had a nib sized 20/21. Its visually and physically a smaller nib but in general these small no.5 nib tend to write smoother, better than the larger nominal size no.5 ; quite a number of Hero are equipped with this smaller no.5 nib ( the H703 I favor actually use this version in 10K gold )

And then the Hero 200A , despite not liked by many, is actually a great writer , but its Parker 75 style nib is something of an acquired taste, its 14K gold and it need some run in but once you get around that its a great writer alright

Edited by Mech-for-i

Thanks for another extremely informative post, Mech! I look up all those pens and see if any fit my taste.

[update: The H703 is really a steal! One can be had for as low as 158RMB so I grabbed one. It meant a lot that you said it was your favorite and I've never had an entirely gold-colored pen before, so it fills a gap in my collection.]

I have a hard time finding a Chinese pen with a nib and filling system I like that also looks aesthetically pleasing to me (so many have too much gold bling, or a shape that isn't as streamlined as I'd like; I also don't like slippery metal sections).

The 200A does look like a nice pen.

The issues with my 100 have been quite frustrating. The nib is smooth and feels great to write with.....when the ink flows, that is. The cap seal is just no good so it always hard starts after even just a few minutes of being capped, regardless of the ink I use. Once I coax it back into life, this it write well for that writing session. I also get that problem of links flying out of the pen if I move too quickly. It's also impossible to completely fill the converter. I've been tempted to take it apart and tune it as well as change the filling system to a converter, but didn't want to spend more money on it by getting one of those disassembly tools.

Edited by TruthPil

That's interesting, I never knew there were Chinese button fillers.

TruthPil,

They were extremely common, but then so were plunger fillers. It's unfortunate that not too many of them have survived, even fewer are on the market now, and fewer yet, in half-decent conditions.

Thanks for another extremely informative post, Mech! I look up all those pens and see if any fit my taste.

[update: The H703 is really a steal! One can be had for 158-178RMB.]

I have a hard time finding a Chinese pen with a nib and filling system I like that also looks aesthetically pleasing to me (so many have too much gold bling, or a shape that isn't as streamlined as I'd like; I also don't like slippery metal sections).

The 200A does look like a nice pen.

The issues with my 100 have been quite frustrating. The nib is smooth and feels great to write with.....when the ink flows, that is. The cap seal is just no good so it always hard starts after even just a few minutes of being capped, regardless of the ink I use. Once I coax it back into life, this it write well for that writing session. I also get that problem of links flying out of the pen if I move too quickly. It's also impossible to completely fill the converter. I've been tempted to take it apart and tune it as well as change the filling system to a converter, but didn't want to spend more money on it by getting one of those disassembly tools.

you might want to convert it to use a modern turn the knob piston type converter, the after market conversion kit is common in China and cost well might be around 40 to 50 RMB ; for long term daily usage, well worth it ; I had 2 of my 100 converted and while not quite so interesting and nostalgic s the original its certainly a lot more user friendly. The cap can easily be sealed y applying some thin down silicon grease trough the hinged clip opening, work the clip a fe times and the silicon grease will work into the nooks and crannies stayingthere and doing its job, but well no one can save you from the ink jet if you always just pull the cap like a flash.

What's wrong with your 100, generally I have been quite satisfied with the 100 but then I've been using them for decades and know the in and out ( and all the quirkiness ) of it and had the tools to do my own tuning.

Plenty of great writer from the brand but I caution, what's great for me might only be good for you or just so so, and what's so so for me might be great for others ( say I am really not keen on zero feedback butter smooth nib but hey many like that ) The 856 ( other than its ancient feed mechanism ) got to be one of the great writer in recent production and still cataloged .. Its by default come in a ( broader than Medium ) M ( its labelled as 0.7 but write broader I say ) and smooth too without losing the needed feedback.

You might want to goto a shop and try Hero's new hooded nib models and also their numerous 10K gold nib pens like the H708 or my favorite the H703. Check all the no.5 nib model, there is actually 2 size Hero made , one is the typical no.5 , what's termed size 26 and then there is a smaller version which had a nib sized 20/21. Its visually and physically a smaller nib but in general these small no.5 nib tend to write smoother, better than the larger nominal size no.5 ; quite a number of Hero are equipped with this smaller no.5 nib ( the H703 I favor actually use this version in 10K gold )

And then the Hero 200A , despite not liked by many, is actually a great writer , but its Parker 75 style nib is something of an acquired taste, its 14K gold and it need some run in but once you get around that its a great writer alright

Mech !!! '' Hero's new hooded nib models " :) . I am alllllll ears . :) Any model in the classic hooded nib style ?

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Non sure how new it is, but someone on FPN mentioned the Hero 101, looking for reviews of it. I had found only one, from a Spanish reviewers.

Is it one of the newer models?

Non sure how new it is, but someone on FPN mentioned the Hero 101, looking for reviews of it. I had found only one, from a Spanish reviewers.

Is it one of the newer models?

It has the same filling system as the 100, but with a partially hooded steel nib. I couldn't find a year for its release, but it seems relatively recent. Other than the filling system, it has no relationship to the 100 whatsoever. Seems to be a handsome pen if you like semi-hooded nibs.

I suppose you mean the still currently cataloged 101 with the partial hooded nib ( no relation to typical 100 / 616 style tubular hooded nib ). Well its got a fixed aerometric filling 616 style. not the complex 100 style , they are still both aerometric, differ in their sealing / air feed. AFAIK, the 101 had been on the catalog since way way back ( something like late 90's r early Y2K ) but since its the only such styled and sized model specific to Hero it stays on likely help by the fact that its by design and by default a calligrapy pen ( using a Calligraphy / Fude ) nib. It perform quite well in this regard