Do All Carene's Leak?

Shannon

I really need to start wearing dark clothes when I do, though....

:lticaptd:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• JonSzanto

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I experienced it in the past with a few variants of Herbin ink, which as low viscosity. But on the whole, considering they were my choice for deployment, no.

Poor Ron experienced the after effects of ballpoint users trying to gouge 18kt nibs into paper or idiots who try to flex pens designed NOT to. I don’t blame him. It’s like people slamming a plane into the ocean nose first, then complaining it leaks and won’t fly.

I suggest the poster try reseating their converter so there’s no air seepage and changing inks to see if one of the older brands designed for performance rather than special effects fixes the problem. Carenes were designed for extensive, reliable use.

Yes and until we see the hardware or at least know more about the setup(s) we should consider the post to be rumour mongering.

Yes and until we see the hardware or at least know more about the setup(s) we should consider the post to be rumour mongering.

Mine or someone else's? I've seen quite a few of them, as have other repair people, and know what the preferred repair technique for fixing it is. I've had a couple of them. I just don't like working on them.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Mine or someone else's? I've seen quite a few of them, as have other repair people, and know what the preferred repair technique for fixing it is. I've had a couple of them. I just don't like working on them.

No Ron, the OP's

I too have worked a few and they are not easy both in reshaping the nib and resetting them so that they do not seep. Those I have worked are never sold on but kept in my ever growing desk set. The last two I worked I used twin pack epoxy and it seems to work well. Waterman use a softer material that does not really set hard...or adhere well to both the plastic or the gold. Having worked in the electrical sub sea connector industry I know how difficult it is to find good primers for metal to plastic especially when they cannot he heated as this case.

In all honesty we are detracting from what I think is the issue, the ink tank.

Simple solution to test if the converter is at fault: Put a Waterman cartridge in. If it still leaks, the pen is broken. If it doesn't, the converter is to blame (either cracked or imperfectly seated)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I can't tell. When I uncap it, the cap is full of ink. I'm using a converter -- never tried a cartridge, maybe that's the answer.

What say ye? Have you tried the cartridge?

Please keep us informed......Thanks.........

Have a safe journey....take care.

Fred

No rumor mongering.... Sorry -- was out of town for a bit.

Here are pictures of the current leaky Carene. You can see the drops of ink on the pen. I haven't tried a cartridge, but I will when I have to opportunity.

fpn_1517255805__20180129_125341_resized.

fpn_1517255922__20180129_125421_resized.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Nope; the horns will SEEP ink onto your finger as you write, but there should never be that much of an ink-dump in the cap.

Check the simplest thing first: switch from the con to a cart. Clean the con thoroughly and check it for cracks anywhere. See if the cart works as it should, and not dump ink into the cap.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

That just looks like the result of ink residue in the cap, which means that every time you uncap your pen it's going to have tons of ink on the section.

Just clean the cap - direct a jet of water from the bathroom tap into the cap, then stick some toilet paper down it and twirl around to absorb.

Edited by Bluey

• 2 weeks later...

My new Amber Marine Carene does not seem to leak. Tried it with waterman insipid blue and herbin éclat de saphir. Writes super smoothly despite only being a medium nib.

Mine leaked from the right side of the nib first then from the breather hole on the bottom of the pen. It was a mess. Don't use it anymore. First pen I bought strictly for the aesthetics. Bad idea!

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

They skip or become slow starters.

If the section isn't full, and it is a slow or non starter, will just a filling fix it?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.