Do All Carene's Leak?

Shannon

I adore these pens, but I swear they all dump ink. I've never used one that didn't leak all over me.... :angry:

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• JonSzanto

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a sucker for punishment. I keep buying them and using them. I really need to start wearing dark clothes when I do, though....

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I've had one now for a few weeks, and no leaks. I'm still on the included cartridge, though. I haven't used it up and moved to the converter.

I don't recall memorable problems when I had a few 20 or so years ago, should be a decent solution to this for you. Where is the leak coming from?

I don't recall memorable problems when I had a few 20 or so years ago, should be a decent solution to this for you. Where is the leak coming from?

I can't tell. When I uncap it, the cap is full of ink. I'm using a converter -- never tried a cartridge, maybe that's the answer.

I've a couple of Carenes; had them for ten or twelve years and have not had any leaking problems. Are you using cartridges or the converter or both? Never mind, just saw your earlier response.

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

It sounds like your converter may not be seated properly. Do you fill the pen with the converter in place or remove the converter to fill?

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Carenes will seep ink around the nib 'horns' if your finger touches there. But the cap should not be filled with ink. Try a cartridge and see if that fixes your problem.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have owned and used several Carene's over the years, using both converter and cartridges, and have never had any leak,,,

They are a very well designed and engineered Fountain Pen...the OP has been very unlucky.

No problems so far...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've never had any signs of a leak with my current Carene. :) I don't think they've ever been out of the house, rattling around in a bag though. -_-

I had a previous Carene where the converter plastic end split and started leaking. I bought an older version with a metal screw end and that fixed it.

I would check the converter first, and maybe replace it. :)

How many have you used or owned.

Can you upload a picture of them and their converters.

Once or twice per year this topic pops up and in most cases the fault is with the converter. Either an early one with split lip, faulty piston seal or one of the current hard plastic versions.

There is a caveat regarding converters within a Waterman pen repair RMA I have just received.

Please note, that in the case of a leaking refill, the original refill/converter must be returned within the pen.

If the original refill/converter is not provided a quotation will be issued for the repair.

I think this was added when many were experiencing issues with the current all plastic mouth version. Post #2, No 15.

Just have one but have never had a leaking problem with it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

No leaks in three Carenes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Carens are known for leaking around the nib. The nib slides onto the shell and is held in place on the horns by an adhesive. This breaks down eventually, and as has been noted, you get leaks around the horns. It is a pain to seal, and I've quit doing them.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The Carens are known for leaking around the nib. The nib slides onto the shell and is held in place on the horns by an adhesive. This breaks down eventually, and as has been noted, you get leaks around the horns. It is a pain to seal, and I've quit doing them.

But they do not leak from that area as much as the op has implied. Yes touch the nib, like any form of nib, and you might get inked.

But they do not leak from that area as much as the op has implied. Yes touch the nib, like any form of nib, and you might get inked.

Exactly. I'd get ink on one finger, the one that touches the 'horn.' But there should never be an ink dump collecting in the cap.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I experienced it in the past with a few variants of Herbin ink, which as low viscosity. But on the whole, considering they were my choice for deployment, no.

Poor Ron experienced the after effects of ballpoint users trying to gouge 18kt nibs into paper or idiots who try to flex pens designed NOT to. I don’t blame him. It’s like people slamming a plane into the ocean nose first, then complaining it leaks and won’t fly.

I suggest the poster try reseating their converter so there’s no air seepage and changing inks to see if one of the older brands designed for performance rather than special effects fixes the problem. Carenes were designed for extensive, reliable use.