Custom Pen Tray Display

omarcenaro

I was tired of having my pens in different boxes all over the house. So dedicde to convert an unused drawer on my desk. post-141133-0-86280400-1516554228.jpeg

I found GoPens through FPN and ordered two tan trays (2nd one was in case I messed up) www.gopens.com/Vintage_Pen_Parts/vintage_pens_12X16Trays.php

Received them quickly post-141133-0-08734600-1516554438_thumb.jpeg

Placed the drawer upside down and traced around it.post-141133-0-93378600-1516554648_thumb.jpeg

After cutting, it perfectly fit 18 slots for pens.post-141133-0-15729100-1516554832_thumb.jpeg

I did not want the tray all the way at the bottom of the drawer so I decided to cut some 2 inch foam I had.post-141133-0-87194700-1516555000_thumb.jpeg

The foam made a nice tight fit in the drawer and then placed the tray on top. Raising the tray perfectly.post-141133-0-35076600-1516555158_thumb.jpeg

Now it was time to load the display drawer with pens. post-141133-0-59407100-1516555401_thumb.jpeg

I added these small felt bumper so the pens will not bump against the drawer. post-141133-0-73528100-1516555545_thumb.jpegpost-141133-0-56968600-1516555434_thumb.jpeg

Here it is in use.

post-141133-0-48088300-1516557866_thumb.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omarcenaro

• Boris-Ludwig

• dinupravin

• NoType

...ordered two tan trays (2nd one was in case I messed up)

- or need to add a second layer :)

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

Great job! And pretty easy to add a second layer to that drawer when you need more room...and you will.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

That's sweet! I want something like that to build a pen case out of solid wood, I am delaying this project because of the tray itself.

Luis A.

Oh Lord, don't tell the wife I can add more. Actually I have 2 fountain pens a Picasso 902 at the NibSmith https://nibsmith.com getting tuned and a Wind Sung. The middle space in the drawer is for the 149 OBB I told the wife I want her to give me. I know somewhere in my house are 2 MB's from my father, but haven't found where yet.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

You've created a beautiful pen storage solution. You've also inspired me to try something similar with a drawer - thank you!!

You've created a beautiful pen storage solution. You've also inspired me to try something similar with a drawer - thank you!!

Thank you sir, Glad I could help. Post some pictures after you get it done.

Thank you sir, Glad I could help. Post some pictures after you get it done.

Haha! I am thinking of something more utilitarian than a work of art. Yours is gorgeous. Mine will be foam + tray in the drawer of an old, well-used desk.

Update to collection: Added my fathers Bordeaux lever action ballpoint that I tracked down in a box with some old pictures. You guys were right, I am filling in those slots.

Thank you for sharing, it's a wonderful solution - the little felt bumpers are genius - I'm trying to build something myself so they will be in the mix.

Al

Received circa 1980's 144R today. Here it is loaded in the display

Nice work. I might suggest adding the small felt bumpers on the inner top of the drawer too?

Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog 2016 Limited Edition 888 - M -> EF -> B

Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Arco Brown - MagicFlex

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 - F, BB, OBB

Just finished polishing my dark green MontBlanc 320 fountain pen. On Left hand side, loaded into the display. It's hard to capture the green with the lighting.

• 1 year later...

Finally all filled up.

Nice result! Enjoy the pens!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |