Wing Sung Balance

Tefolim

I placed an order for a 2-pack. I will report back when they arrive, perhaps they will make my 626 usable.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• WJM

• Mech-for-i

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered them too, although now more out of curiosity than necessity. Really the reason I don't use my 626 very often is its weird assymetry, due to cap threads imperfections I believe. Half the time I screw the cap it's slightly bent to the right, which I find annoying. It can be done correctly but in everyday use I don't want to have to be very careful as to capping a pen.

Edited by WJM

I ordered them too, although now more out of curiosity than necessity. Really the reason I don't use my 626 very often is its weird assymetry, due to cap threads imperfections I believe. Half the time I screw the cap it's slightly bent to the right, which I find annoying. It can be done correctly but in everyday use I don't want to have to be very careful as to capping a pen.

Try to put some plastic polish on the threads and just screw/unscrew a few times. It works for me and I have also used this on many Indian ebonite pens with imperfect threads.

• 4 weeks later...

I placed an order for a 2-pack. I will report back when they arrive, perhaps they will make my 626 usable.

The replacement 626 converters I ordered from "kakapenstoreo" arrived today.

I was sent the wrong size. I received a 5mm diameter version, I ordered 3.2 (the correct size).

I think I'm done with Chinese pens.

I was sent the wrong size. I received a 5mm diameter version, I ordered 3.2 (the correct size).

That's awful. Perhaps a pause would be for the best.

Not that it helps, I found that the 627 uses the same converter as the the 626. Mine all interchange w/o issue.

So if one day you want to return, there's that option.

Edited by EDC

• 5 weeks later...

Today I decided to try swapping the nib on my Wing Sung 626.

This model unfortunately has an atypical nib size, and neither standard no. 5 nor no.6 nibs will fit. But already some time ago I noticed that the nib looks very similar in size to Kaigelu 316 nib and indeed it is the same size. It also uses the same plastic feed as Kaigelu 316 and Jinhaos with size 6 nibs.

img-20181219-172955.jpg

img-20181219-175107.jpg

The Kaigelu nib fits in my 626 without any problems, so if someone's looking for a replacement nib for 626, there's that option. Kaigelu nib is a medium and it's a much harder, more durable nib, which in my opinion is a big plus compared to the infamously flimsy 626 nibs.

Unfortunately this still doesn't solve my main problem with 626 which is insufficient inkflow. With the stock converter it writes, but is very dry. I recently tried again with Hero 3.2 converter and while this gives initially a wetter flow, it's only sufficient for a short writing, as after a while it gets drier, and drier, to the point it stops writing at all and requires priming the feed to get working again.

I still didn't get mine replacement Wing Sung converters. It's been almost two months.

And after changing the converter, the nib and the feed I'm really out of ideas what is wrong with this pen.

Edited by WJM

Unfortunately this still doesn't solve my main problem with 626 which is insufficient inkflow. With the stock converter it writes, but is very dry. I recently tried again with Hero 3.2 converter and while this gives initially a wetter flow, it's only sufficient for a short writing, as after a while it gets drier, and drier, to the point it stops writing at all and requires priming the feed to get working again.

I still didn't get mine replacement Wing Sung converters. It's been almost two months.

And after changing the converter, the nib and the feed I'm really out of ideas what is wrong with this pen.

Same issue I have with my Baoer and Jinhao pens, decreasing ink flow until the pen stops writing. It's the feed. It must be the plastic that these feeds are made of, it impedes the ink flow. It's so frustrating I sworn off all the pens that come with the same feed, no matter the manufacturer. So now I usually wait for closeup pictures before buying. Very unfortunate, I hope they change the material soon, if that's indeed the problem.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Whatever happened to the 626?

It seems like it was just a one-time run and Wing Sung ran out of materials for another batch. The same white models have been available forever on Wing Sung's Taobao store and no other colors were ever restocked after the initial run. No one's touching the white ones because they stain, so I guess I'll never be able to get one of these.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Whatever happened to the 626?

It seems like it was just a one-time run and Wing Sung ran out of materials for another batch. The same white models have been available forever on Wing Sung's Taobao store and no other colors were ever restocked after the initial run. No one's touching the white ones because they stain, so I guess I'll never be able to get one of these.

I've been hoping they'd drop new production with M nibs.

I've been hoping they'd drop new production with M nibs.

Exactly! That was the only reason I didn't buy one at the initial offering. :headsmack:

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Same issue I have with my Baoer and Jinhao pens, decreasing ink flow until the pen stops writing. It's the feed. It must be the plastic that these feeds are made of, it impedes the ink flow. It's so frustrating I sworn off all the pens that come with the same feed, no matter the manufacturer. So now I usually wait for closeup pictures before buying. Very unfortunate, I hope they change the material soon, if that's indeed the problem.

Interesting idea. I've had such problems with one or two Jinhaos but I never assumed the feed material could be responsible. The question is, what could be done about it. I changed the feed when I was changing the nib, but that's just another identical one taken from a Jinhao X450.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to replace the housing of 626 with something else, similiar way as Bock size 6 nib unit can be put into Kaigelu 316.

Edited by WJM

Have anyone perhaps try to remove the 626 housing? How is it installed, is it screwed, glued, can in even be removed at all?

I noticed something peculiar about my WS 626. Any other converter than the stock was always sits a little crooked in the sectiion, slightly leaning in one side. I checked it out and it seems that there was something on the housing - some residue I guess? I'm not sure, first I thought it was just an ink stain (the housing in this pen is white) but there's definitely something else going one. I tried to remove it and while I didn't succeed completely the converter now sits a little more straight.

The flow seemingly improved... for a moment at least, I don't want to assume it's alright, I didnt check how consistent it is. There's another problem: it so much improved that it now leaks from below the barrel threads (upper ring of the section)

So, overall, I suspect now that all my problems with the flow in this pen are somehow coming from the housing. The question again is, could the housing of 626 be removed and replaced, and with what?

I have a spare Kaigelu housing, and it seems to be about same diameter. Little shorter than 626 housing possibly, I'm not sure, but on diameter seems to fit at least from the barrel side of the section, like this:

img-20181223-101925.jpg

So possibly it would fit normally as well... I guess?

I couldn't use this one anyway, it got damaged while I was removing it from Kaigelu, but Kaigelu housing is replaceable with Bock 250 housing with size 6 nib, so possibly that would fit, provided the 626's housing could be safely removed...

Edited by WJM

Have anyone perhaps try to remove the 626 housing? How is it installed, is it screwed, glued, can in even be removed at all?

I noticed something peculiar about my WS 626. Any other converter than the stock was always sits a little crooked in the sectiion, slightly leaning in one side. I checked it out and it seems that there was something on the housing - some residue I guess? I'm not sure, first I thought it was just an ink stain (the housing in this pen is white) but there's definitely something else going one. I tried to remove it and while I didn't succeed completely the converter now sits a little more straight.

The flow seemingly improved... for a moment at least, I don't want to assume it's alright, I didnt check how consistend it is. There's another problem: it so much improved that it now leaks from below the barrel threads (upper ring of the section)

So, overall, I suspect now that all my problems with the flow in this pen are somehow coming from the housing. The question again is, could the housing of 626 be removed and replaced, and with what?

I have a spare Kaigelu housing, and it seems to be about same diameter. Little shorter than 626 housing possibly, I'm not sure, but on diameter seems to fit at least from the barrel side of the section, like this:

img-20181223-101925.jpg

So possibly it would fit normally as well... I guess?

I couldn't use this one anyway, it got damaged while I was removing it from Kaigelu, but Kaigelu housing is replaceable with Bock 250 housing with size 6 nib, so possibly that would fit, provided the 626's housing could be safely removed...

The Wing Sung 627 section fits the 626 but it makes for an odd combination.

Wing_Sung_626_627_nib_units_02_sm.jpg

Wing_Sung_626_with_627_nib-section.jpg

So far I haven't found a way to disassemble either beyond removing the nib and feed.

The threaded base of the Delike New Moon 2 nib assembly unscrews from the collar. These pens may use the same construction. But hand twisting hasn't gotten me anywhere.

JYG50x8l.jpg

Possibly it could be knocked out, but that's a risk.

Could also be glued in. Depends what was used, if the glue could be soften with heat, that could possibly help, but that doesn't have to be the case.

My Baoer and Jinhao pens do not run dry after writing a bit but then I rarely write more than a one page letter at a sitting. But based on my engineering background rather than pen experience it does sound to me as though air is not getting into the pen to replace the ink so after a bit there is suction holding the ink in its reservoir. One could try holding the pen nib up for a bit and see if that equalizes pressures. Of course that might lead to the suction pulling ink back into the reservoir, but if the pen writes again after a bit I would be thinking air flow rather than ink flow.

• 4 weeks later...

The replacement 626 converters I ordered from the same seller arrived yesterday.

Both broken.

I managed to disassemble them and make one working from the parts but didn't yet test it in the pen.

The replacement 626 converters I ordered from the same seller arrived yesterday.

Both broken.

I managed to disassemble them and make one working from the parts but didn't yet test it in the pen.

I've already PIFed my 626 on to another FPN member who hopefully will appreciate it more than I did. But please post your success/failure. I would like to know what could have been.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Or maybe this seller? You got the wrong size and another post mentioned getting broken converters. I have ordered pens from this seller and been satisfied, but when I just searched for a Wing Sung 234 in a color other than gold all the hits were for gold pens -- except an offering from this seller. How nice! But looking at the photos I saw a WS 322. I dropped the seller a line and then immediately saw eBay offering some other pens that they thought might interest me. One was listed as a WS 220 and the price looked too good to be true. And indeed it was -- again the pen pictured was a different model, and (surprise) the seller was the same.

BTW, I am curious to know what pens the 5mm converters fit. I have never run across that size. Such a converter would not make much sense unless there were cartridges in that size, but I have not run across those, either. Sounds very proprietary -- maybe Japanese?

I suspect my converters may have got damaged in shipping. For such a small, plastic objects they were very poorly packed, pretty much just put into a small bubble envelope. Jinhao metal fountain pens can survive long travel in such conditions, but for converters this was a rather poor planning.

BTW, I am curious to know what pens the 5mm converters fit. I have never run across that size. Such a converter would not make much sense unless there were cartridges in that size, but I have not run across those, either. Sounds very proprietary -- maybe Japanese?

Most likely Japanese - Sailor or Pilot. Some Chinese pens also use their standards, eg. Lingmo Lorelei (Sailor - from what I've heard), Wing Sung 613, 659 (Pilot) Edited by WJM