Wing Sung Balance

Tefolim

Thanks for the advice, I guess $4 for two converters is worth a try.

It's really a shame 626 cannot be used as an eyedropper, I'm pretty sure it would get rid of the problem, as it did with Penbbs 308. By the way I also tried using Penbbs converter in 626, it's technically the same Parker-ish standard but it's somewhat loose in 626 (and also too long)

Edited by WJM

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• WJM

• Mech-for-i

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 626 arrived yesterday. I got the red version with white dot and F nib. Out of the box, I flushed it with Goulet Pen Flush and filled it with Aurora Blue ink.

Like others have reported, the cap has quite a lot of stiction when turning to cap/uncap. The threads are sticky, and the stickiness is not even so there are spots the threads glide freely, and spots where it is so tight it is difficult to turn. The clip seems fine and is secure, no misalignment or wiggling. As you would expect from the classic design, the 626 is well-balanced and comfortable to write with.

The converter has the same issues with bubbles appearing in the ink during filling. However, it doesn't seem to be leaking and the pen hasn't blobbed ink. I don't know if I should be concerned about this or not.

The fine nib puts down a very fine line - not extra fine, but finer than a lot of western fine point nibs I've seen. It is smooth and consistent, no scratchiness or skipping. It puts down a dry line, but it passes the "can the pen write with only its own weight on the nib" test. Aurora Blue ink is on the dry side, so I might get wetter results with a different ink. As-is, it would be a good choice for writing on absorbent or poor quality papers due to the thinner nib and drier ink flow.

All in all, this could be a decent note-taking pen, issues with the sticky cap threads aside. Anyone have advice on how to remedy this issue? Unlike Ron Z, I am not a pro pen restorer and am not equipped to retap the threads on cap and barrel.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

The converter has the same issues with bubbles appearing in the ink during filling. However, it doesn't seem to be leaking and the pen hasn't blobbed ink. I don't know if I should be concerned about this or not.

The fine nib puts down a very fine line - not extra fine, but finer than a lot of western fine point nibs I've seen. It is smooth and consistent, no scratchiness or skipping. It puts down a dry line, but it passes the "can the pen write with only its own weight on the nib" test.

Sounds like a similar experience to mine. Lot of air bubbles in the converter and a very dry flow. It flows, writes, but it's rather unpleasant to use being that dry. Somewhat better with a modified Parker cartridge, but the cartridge gets leaky. Also prone to drying over the night.

Sounds like a similar experience to mine. Lot of air bubbles in the converter and a very dry flow. It flows, writes, but it's rather unpleasant to use being that dry. Somewhat better with a modified Parker cartridge, but the cartridge gets leaky. Also prone to drying over the night.

Yes, I just experienced the same overnight drying issue with my pen. I had to flood the feed by partially twisting the converter piston to make the pen write once again. I was carrying it around nib-up in my EDC bag, so now I want to store it on its side to see what effect that has on the drying issue.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Wow, these are some discouraging reports!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Yes, I kinda regret not getting the gold dot one after all, they were reported as being wet writers. I'm gonna try with other converters or cartridges but for now my writing experience with 626 isn't so good. It works, it writes, but annoyingly dry.

I looked at the nib under magnifying glass and from what I see I can confirm that dryness has nothing to do with it. Judging from the gap between the tines this nib should pour quite a lot of ink.

The air bubbles might signal 3 thing ... which might or might not contribute to the dryness ... bubbles really mean there is not enough of a flow either in and out for the ink and / or the air return

1. There is oil in the ink supply chain causing localized & isolated pocket. require very thorough cleaning and that mean not just the feed, but also anywhere ink are including the converter itself

2 the air return channel might have some issue , tha's with the feed , if feedback is inconsistent or somehow blocked this could happen and consequently the ink reservoir will be in a state of unable to feed ink properly as there is not enough interchange of ink and air

3 The ink channel , also on the feed, can also be blamed if it had blockage , juts minute one would do .. it can hinder both in and out going of ink.

And finally let's not forget the section itself ( or the sleeve the feed / nib reside ) often than not this part require even more thorough cleaning than the rest as this can ( especially machined ones ) contain loads of minute residue and oil from machining ( or releasing from mold )

Edited by Mech-for-i

Very interesting, thank you for this post...

Yesterday I tried to pull out the nib and the feed, guessing they're friction fit, to have a look at them, but so far I failed.

By the way, the nib seems to be the same size as in Kaigelu 316.

The very first thing I did with mine was to flush it for 90 minutes with some commercial pen flush solution. I assumed that would be sufficient to clean residue from the converter and feed, but perhaps I need to do more, perhaps disassemble and clean the nib and feed individually?

Also, storing the pen on its side rather than nib up seems to have helped with the overnight dryout problem - it hasn't recurred - but I need more time to be sure.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Well when they are $2 one can forget a lot of issues but at $30 things start becoming more ... noticable :)

Agreed. For the same money the TWSBI Eco or Lamy Safari, to name two examples, are much better pens with none of the fit and finish or performance issues. Based on my sample I would recommend either of them over the Wing Sung 626.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

An update on the 626 I purchased.

The pen ran out of ink, so I opened the barrel and discovered that ink has leaked out of the converter at the base, and has collected inside the barrel. Drops of ink fell out and landed on the open book in my lap (lesson learned).

That explains why this pen is prone to drying issues.

My opinion on this pen has gone from "not a good deal for the money" to "do not buy". I consider it defective and unusable as delivered.

Agreed. For the same money the TWSBI Eco or Lamy Safari, to name two examples, are much better pens with none of the fit and finish or performance issues. Based on my sample I would recommend either of them over the Wing Sung 626.

This. I mean WS is taking a bold approach entering the price bracket of the Metros and Safaris but quality issues always comes up from the many range of their pen.

I had a bad experience with the 618 but I am still willing to give them another chance but seeing so many bad experiences like this does not bode well for them.

This. I mean WS is taking a bold approach entering the price bracket of the Metros and Safaris but quality issues always comes up from the many range of their pen.

I had a bad experience with the 618 but I am still willing to give them another chance but seeing so many bad experiences like this does not bode well for them.

If you don't mind hooded nibs, just buy a bunch of WS 601s and swap the nibs out for various other options....they are amazing pens!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Actually I don't since the 618 has the hooded nib also.

Will probably give the 601 a try in the future but don't know when

Personally hearing all about the 626 fiasco it made me wonder if the brand actually understand what they are doing or trying to do .. well obviously the want to sell on emotional attachment of something nostalgic but that clearly is all over run by their inability to actually deliver a consistently decent working pen and at the price they ask for it, that's what they should deliver. And they have some bad record regarding; so its hard to be harsh on them.

I like the idea of their 613, 628, and 601 .. which hack back to their namesake heritage. The 659 certainly is a success if only a copy. The 698 perhaps put them over their head about ... This recent 626 and then the offshoot 627 . Well I simply do not see it as anything attractive; I can forget the 627 for its mediocrity , its not trying to be " I am something special " kind of showing off ... and for its price I can see it a worthy purchase providing its delivered working decent ( which is where Vikto seems failing recently ). But the 626 .. yeah I know its suppose to be using some might be more exclusive / expensive material and its bla bla bla .... you know the drill .. in the end the failure of the end result as a pen simply count against it all.

Personally hearing all about the 626 fiasco it made me wonder if the brand actually understand what they are doing or trying to do .. well obviously the want to sell on emotional attachment of something nostalgic but that clearly is all over run by their inability to actually deliver a consistently decent working pen and at the price they ask for it, that's what they should deliver. And they have some bad record regarding; so its hard to be harsh on them.

Aren't the 626 and the 601 made by different sub contractors?

I seem to remember that the 626 was made by Green, the same group behind the clones of the Kaweco Sport (3008?) and the 698, while the 601 and 618 are made by Victo

Edited by sciumbasci

The actual manufacturing concern is not what matter here , its who's behind the model and the name , Vikto is behind all of these though manufacturing is done by many different concern, including Green Stationary and many others. The 6XX series are all Vikto's but the 300X series had nothing to do with them. Then there is the 5XX series, and the 6XXX series which AFAIK yet licensed to some others

Previously it was said Parker converters will fit the 626 section, although too large for the barrel.

I tried a genuine Parker converter on the 626; it doesn't fit. The nozzle on the converter is too large to fit the nozzle on the section. Genuine Sheaffer converters don't fit either (converter nozzle too small to fit the section).

The screw threads on the 626 barrel and section don't match those of a Sheaffer Balance II (rollerball) in my collection, so there is no hope of mixing and matching with Sheaffer-made parts. (Not that I was expecting this, but I had the parts on hand so it was worth a try).

I consider the discussion of what manufacturer actually produced the 626 largely academic. Wing Sung sold me this worthless junk, and they've made my blacklist as a result. If they can't assure quality with this pen, then everything else they sell is suspect. I had been thinking about a 601, but will spend that money on something else.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

That's odd - I fit a Parker converter in my 626 without a problem. As far as the nozzle's width goes, that is.