Gift For A Best Friend

karlene

Hey Everyone!

My best friend was the one that got my into fountain pens the first place and his birthday is in 3 months and I want to get him something special.

I like giving gifts that are personal and something that people can use all the time.

Any recommendations?

What would you want in gift that speaks to your personality?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karlene

• sharonspens

• Inkling13

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

What does he have? What does he like? How much you want to spend? How much of a friend is he?

well his favorite pen is his twsbi eco and his favorite ink is De atramentis Fog Grey.. he likes blue a lot and purple. and what do you mean by that haha

also im not sure how much i would spend.

Hard to answer the question without having a sense of your friend and his use of pens, inks, etc., and how much you want to spend on him. For example, you could could spend $30 on a pen case (I think Levenger is having a sale literally right now), and possibly get him something engraved with his initials. Or you could spend $20 on a new Pilot Metropolitan and throw in some ink cartridges. Or you could spend $50 on a Lamy Safari and some ink. Or $100 on a Sheaffer or Taccia. Or spend that $100 on some quality ink that you think he wouldn't buy for himself. Or you could go a different route and put some money toward a beautiful journal from some place like Jenni Bick.

I have done any and all of these for different people, but I start with how much I am willing to spend AND what I know about the person's tastes. I don't know where you re located, but if you need ideas across a variety of price ranges, look at Levenger, Goulet Pens, Jenni Bick, and maybe Jet Pens.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Hard to answer the question without having a sense of your friend and his use of pens, inks, etc., and how much you want to spend on him. For example, you could could spend $30 on a pen case (I think Levenger is having a sale literally right now), and possibly get him something engraved with his initials. Or you could spend $20 on a new Pilot Metropolitan and throw in some ink cartridges. Or you could spend $50 on a Lamy Safari and some ink. Or $100 on a Sheaffer or Taccia. Or spend that $100 on some quality ink that you think he wouldn't buy for himself. Or you could go a different route and put some money toward a beautiful journal from some place like Jenni Bick.

I have done any and all of these for different people, but I start with how much I am willing to spend AND what I know about the person's tastes. I don't know where you re located, but if you need ideas across a variety of price ranges, look at Levenger, Goulet Pens, Jenni Bick, and maybe Jet Pens.

Sharon in Indiana

Hmm yeah i understand. These are great ideas though! I guess what i really looking for is inspiration ya know?

so if folks could just tell me about gifts they've given out before or have received in the past it would really help! :)

A nice notebook with FP friendly paper.

Paperblanks midi are pocketable, and nice paper - the new flexi-covers reduce the weight and make them more portable.

The Japanese Monokaki and Life Journals are nice and Mark's IT - a Japanese company makes refillable plastic notebooks which are funky - there's a pocket to store pens and a rather nice journal.

well his favorite pen is his twsbi eco and his favorite ink is De atramentis Fog Grey.. he likes blue a lot and purple. and what do you mean by that haha

also im not sure how much i would spend.

If he's a friend you met at the pub last Friday night, vs one you have known since time immemorial, who's been there for everything and then some. I wouldn't mind spending something nice for one of my best friends, if I knew they were into pens and I had a bigger budget, but I'd be less inclined to spend something on a recent acquaintance.

Paper to write is never enough, ink is a bit more like perfume... very personal.

A nice Rhodia pad may be nice, it's among the best quality paper you can get, it's within your budget, but on the expensive side for self purchase, so if it comes as a gift it might be appreciated.

There are different colour covers and its easily available online (seen recently on amazon)

I recommend an Indian acrylic or ebonite pen. Acrylics look nice, which is always nice in a gift, and ebonite feels nice in the hand. You can get a Noodler's Konrad (which is a piston pen) in acrylic or ebonite for $40, or an FPR Himalaya (which I think has a converter but does not take cartridges, although it can be eyedropper-ed) in acrylic or ebonite for under $30. Both have (or can be had with) flexible steel nibs, the possible interest/novelty of which I think adds to the value as a gift. I've heard that you can ask FPR's Kevin Thiemann (who is on these forums as kethiemann) to make sure your pen is tuned properly before it's shipped.

Alternately, you could get him a fancy ink, like a scented or shimmering or sheening ink. Look up the Goulet video on sheening inks if you want some suggestions. Oh, and Platinum has a line of mixable inks, which might be interesting if you get him a few colours to play around with. They are a bit pricey though; I think it's something like $20 a bottle (there's also a "mixing kit" which comes with some containers and a medium or something).

PS: the standard Konrad is actually made from in resin and sells for half the price, but I don't recommend it because the resin used smells (some people like the smell, some don't) and suffers from drying issues.

Edited by SoulSamurai

Well, I have received lots of pen-related gifts over the years. That includes a bright red Sheaffer Ferrari rollerball, and a sweet Merlin 33 vintage pen. I've also received (and given) some pretty fine journals - one of which came with a USB drive as part of the clasp closure. I particularly appreciate themed journals. When visiting NYC in October, my husband and I both bought copies of the journal "99 things that bring me joy".

My favorite recent gift that i gave was for three of my friends (shopping buddies and fellow foodies). Last year, Retro 51 put out a limited edition of rollerballs based on the Donut Dollies from WW I. I was able to lay hands on four of them (bought from two different stores), and we each have one on our desks. If your friend happens to like something besides pens (like dogs, anatomy, U.S. Presidents, etc.), a Retro 51 pen could be the perfect choice (they do make fountain pens, too, though I've never written with one so I can't speak to the quality).

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

It would be easier if he had a wishlist, what you might consider a nice gift he might consider a nightmare; I was graciously given a Kaweco Sport which I ended calling the leaky midget from hell. Gift certificate? I know, not as personal.

An option could be a complete package of a Pilot Metropolitan (medium?), a nice ink he has had his eyes on (J Herbin Éclat de Saphir?), and some nice paper (Rhodia, Tomoe River); possible at your budget thanks to the Metropolitan's low low price.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell