Bleu Myosotis Quick Review

senzen

I've long wanted to do a quick review of Myosotis, it's one of my oldest inks but it never looked quite how I thought it could, it came out pale and boring as in most reviews, close to Ajisai but without its vibrancy.

I finally spread the tines a little, which usually ends in tears but this time worked: still dusky but looks a lot darker, a lighter, duskier cousin to Pelikan's Königsblau.

fpn_1516038411__myosotis_close_up.jpg

The comparison with other purplish blues might be on interest: Asa Gao, Ajisai, Tsuyu Kusa; the latter doesn't look purplish at all until you put it in turn next to greenish blues...

fpn_1516037926__myosotis.jpg

As a bonus this ink seems to make its Lamy Vista write smoother than most of its six other siblings.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• minddance

• ENewton

• DrDebG

Very nice review! Thank you for doing it. I have so many blues in this general range of color that I can not justify another at this time. But "blurples" are a favorite.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Did you take the picture just after you have written or have you let it sit for a few days?

From my experience, Myosotis cures/dries very differently from when it is freshly written. The colour shift and look is dramatically different.

Very nice review! Thank you for doing it. I have so many blues in this general range of color that I can not justify another at this time. But "blurples" are a favorite.

Your welcome! At some point I was running out of Myosotis but had never managed to get it right, but still bought another bottle... At which point I wondered if this fountain pen thing was more an affliction than an obsession...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Did you take the picture just after you have written or have you let it sit for a few days?

From my experience, Myosotis cures/dries very differently from when it is freshly written. The colour shift and look is dramatically different.

You're right, I took it right after and it changed slightly, even though it remains quite darker than before, which I prefer. I'll break out the macro lens as soon as I have a little time.

B. Russell

I'm not sure this captures the shift, it's very subtle; Ajisai looks a little more red to my eyes than in this shot. At least it can give an idea of what to expect from these inks when looking well saturated. Tsuyu Kusa also looked really wimpy before its pen started writing more wet.

fpn_1516222091__ajisai_later.jpg

fpn_1516221909__myosotis_later.jpg

fpn_1516222141__tsuyu_kusa_later.jpg

fpn_1516222191__asa_gao_later.jpg

B. Russell

I am not sure how wet your pen is, here I see it very close to Asa Gao. My experience with Myosotis is far from what is shown here. It is a dreamy, rather pale blurple, especially when left for a few days. It can look rather faded in dry pens and still retain that dreaminess in wetter pens.

Ajisai and Bleu Myosotis look very different to me also.

The faded quality of Myosotis gives it a distinctly vintage look. I once had turn much wetter on an airplane and found it much less interesting in its darker aspect. Ajisai has a glow on less absorbent papers.

I am not sure how wet your pen is, here I see it very close to Asa Gao. My experience with Myosotis is far from what is shown here. It is a dreamy, rather pale blurple, especially when left for a few days. It can look rather faded in dry pens and still retain that dreaminess in wetter pens.

Yup, closer to Asa Gao but more dusky.

B. Russell

I always keep a bottle of Myosotis, and Diamine China Blue, just for that dreamy look, very interesting inks. Tsuyu Kusa looks amazing, btw, just sings to me :)

Thank you for the review, I should try myosotis again in a wetter pen :)

I always keep a bottle of Myosotis, and Diamine China Blue, just for that dreamy look, very interesting inks. Tsuyu Kusa looks amazing, btw, just sings to me :)

Thank you for the review, I should try myosotis again in a wetter pen :)

Tsuyu Kusa is awesome when fully saturated, if I was forced to choose just one ink that would be it, and it has some tough competition: Asa Gao, Kon Peki, Équinoxe 6, Vert Empire, Rouge Hematite...

B. Russell

Wonderful, especially the ink comparison! Thank you! ... and nice ink combos! Lie de thé and Myosotis look together nobly erudite.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the last iteration: Myosotis in Muji with a fine nib, Asa Gao in Pelikan m600 fine nib; Myosotis now looks a little less dark, not sure that shows in this picture; Asa Gao definitely looks less dark, this pen makes all inks shade a lot.

fpn_1517867271__ajisai_myosotis_asa_gao_

B. Russell

Nice, and they say Herbin is dry and doesn't shade. I beg to differ. Herbin does have some dry colour(s) but those that I have flow very happily and make my dry Japanese pens write as a pen ought to. Herbin definitely shades, in a very nuanced fashion, not those binary terraced 2 tone 'shading'. The transition between gradations is fluid and smooth, in pther words, they have very good range. And these inks get better and more interesting with wetter pens.

Thank you for your review :)

Nice, and they say Herbin is dry and doesn't shade. I beg to differ. Herbin does have some dry colour(s) but those that I have flow very happily and make my dry Japanese pens write as a pen ought to. Herbin definitely shades, in a very nuanced fashion, not those binary terraced 2 tone 'shading'. The transition between gradations is fluid and smooth, in pther words, they have very good range. And these inks get better and more interesting with wetter pens.

Thank you for your review :)

Your welcome! Myosotis would probably shade even more on my Pelikan M600 but I think it's the home for Asa Gao. My only wish is they improved their 30ml bottles, or have all of them available in 100ml bottles; there comes a point when you have less than half the ink left in the smaller bottles and it's not easy to fill pens. At least they are not horribly expensive.

B. Russell

Nice, and they say Herbin is dry and doesn't shade.

You're going to like this:

fpn_1517951787__myosotis_tracing_paper.j

It's a shame tracing paper is otherwise impractical and expensive.

B. Russell