• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Inkling13

• zaddick

• 25_15_3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen a pen made from Ivory, it's not that great. If you look around enough, you may find pictures of it too, made by Hakase.

It's easy to receive it in Japan without any issues, as CITES governs trade between member countries and not what happens internally in a member country. If you live outside Japan, you will have to receive it in Japan and carry it back to your home country. If found out, it will be immediately confiscated and you would face some jail time, along with a few other things.

From what I have seen on this forum, people have successfully carried it back to their home country. How they did it - I have no idea.

Hawksbill turtles don’t appreciate dying for a pen. Think ivory. You wouldn’t make an ivory pen, why turtle? Hawksbill turtles are critically endangered and while you can buy it in Japan, don’t think about smuggling it out. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawksbill_sea_turtle

and I guess your vegetarian.

sorry dude.

and I guess your vegetarian.

sorry dude.

Vegetarian not by any means. Its called a respect for life. Whats to say we have any right to decimate something just cause weve taken a fancy to something? There are plenty of suitable replacements these days anyhow.

Replacements? Maybe. Suitable? Probably no. The same pattern is available in acrylic, but has no depth. Celluloid too, but again it doesn't have the depth.

People eat turtles, which causes more harm and reduction in population than any pen can do. And unlike food which is regularly needed, the pen would be here for at least a 100 years. I think you can make at least 50 pens from one shell alone. If you have such strong beliefs regarding decimating species, I suggest becoming vegetarian. Whatever else you eat is anyway contributing towards decline of some other species.

Guess now I understand why people don't post about their turtle shell hakase pens.

Just wait until I post about my pen made of shark fins and bald eagle beaks.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Guess now I understand why people don't post about their turtle shell hakase pens.

I am not sure why the complaint, critical though it may be, would deter you from posting about your pen. Lots of people have opinions and they don't have to be the same. By the way, I don't particularly like your pen and wouldn't want it, not because it is turtle -- I think turtle shell is a beautiful material and would gladly have other things made from it (sustainably and responsibly, i would prefer) - but because I don't like the use of mixed materials in the design. It just doesn't appeal to me. But I am glad you posted it and that I got to see some pictures. I hope you enjoy it and I am sure it is beautifully made. Certailnly, my personal judgment shouldn't matter that much to your enjoyment. I love some of their other work. Please don't feel bad about what other people type and let that deter you.

Edited by pendwarf

Troll!!!

Or just hilarious exaggeration in response to your statement of animals not appreciating dying. Would any animal for any reason? Are you ascribing human levels of consciousness to an animal that does not have it?

I personally feel you could make your point in a way more conducive to conversation.

Taken from the Hakase site

Tortoiseshell (rare),Okinawa,Released in 1990,Tortoises taken from Hawksbill sea turtle have a distinctive color pattern and beautiful touch, moist and soft, glossy.It is a fusion material of high-tech and craftsmanship wrapping the tortoise with steam just above the white ceramic rod.It is Japan that has plenty of stockpile inventory.It is opposite to kill animals that are decreasing.However, I think that what is stockpiled is mission to change to ultimate beauty.

Just wait until I post about my pen made of shark fins and bald eagle beaks.

damn there should be a like button on FPN.

Edited by nekomuffchu

They used to have a very nice blue celluloid in their catalog too, but I have not seen it in several years excpet on a used pen or two.

Good evening,

It's Hakase's New Green Celluloid.

Before ordering it, I wanted a blue one but Mr Yamamoto informed me that he does not make it anymore.

So, as it was my first Hakase I ordered and I did not know the company nor the pens they make, I decided to go with the most economic one. It turned out to be a good choice.

Last year I ordered the black/red ebonite after Mr Yamamoto came to Amsterdam on Ruud Koning's and my invitation.

Now I'm saving up for an other one. Either a Black Water Buffalo horn, but the price went through the roof over the last 1,5 years, so I guess I have to put this on the 'absolutely-need-to-have' list for now.

Now considering ordering an African Ebony one, specified to my wishes.

Thank you Brahe for showing your first hakase pen. :)

I really like Celluloid as a material for pens, and would be great if a hakase is made from it. But one pen is as far as I'm willing to go.

@Zaddick - I think the blue Celluloid has been finished/sold out since 2010. Only Jade green Celluloid now.