Newbie Questions.. In Need Of Rad Pocket Notebook.

karlene

Henlo!!!!

I'm new here.

I was wondering if any could point me towards some affordable pocket notebooks to write in that work well with fountain pen.

I've heard of feild notes but I heard some of ya'll don't really like them..

also, bare with me, I don't really know how a forum works...

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karlene

• inkstainedruth

• SallyLyn

• bogiesan

Why not make your own using a FP friendly paper like HP Laserjet 32lb? Here's a small one folded from a single sheet http://pocketmod.com/v2/

or Midori style here http://www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-Notebook-Planner-DailyWeeklyMonthly-on-/

Plenty of other printable and DIY instructions on the web, have fun!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Why not make your own using a FP friendly paper like HP Laserjet 32lb? Here's a small one folded from a single sheet http://pocketmod.com/v2/

or Midori style here http://www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-Notebook-Planner-DailyWeeklyMonthly-on-/

Plenty of other printable and DIY instructions on the web, have fun!

Yeah! That would be so cool actually.. how difficult & costly is it?

Rhodia makes some nice fountain pen friendly pocket notebooks.

Edited by GardenWeasel

If you want "rad" have a look at the "passports" made by the Unemployed Philosophers' Guild, for places like Oz, Narnia, The Garden of Eden, etc. Entertaining as all get out, and while not to the level of Rhodia, the paper in the ones I have are not too bad for FPs.

No affiliation, except that I ran across them in a card/stationery/book/novelty shop here in Pittsburgh and they made me laugh. (Oh, and the store I found them ALSO sells a few fountain pens, and Sheaffer and Aurora ink).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FieldNotes have several grades of paper depending on the edition. 70lb are fine for FPs. Write Notepads I believe have 70lb in all and good with FPs. Story notebooks are good with FPs. Apacia notebooks are Great! May also find them in some Japanese stores in large cities.

Pocket Mods mentioned above is a simple fantastic pocket note system. Works with any type paper because you use your own printer to make it. I practice with inexpensive paper when I’m picking a new style then use my desired paper. You can even us it without printing once you get the concept.

Other thing to consider a notebook you actually carry in a pocket gets beat up. You might desire a pocket sized FP and in some cases the best solution in a situation is a pocket pencil that works with any notebook.

Be creative, think out of your own mental box/cage, be willing to switch tools for a project or situation.

Another possible consideration is a “Pocket Briefcase”. Levenger makes them but years ago I bought $10 leather versions in Staples. They use 3x5 cards and it is possible to find decent FP friendly 3x5 cards. Even the cheap ones have one side that is FP friendly.

They use to make a smaller business card size you might find used somewhere

Here’s a link to a version Levenger currently has on sale. I have no connection to them but have bought a few products over many years.

https://www.levenger.com/ACCESSORIES-15/POCKET-BRIEFCASES-765/Bomber-Jacket-Shirt-Pocket-Briefcase-Core-6871.aspx

If you want "rad" have a look at the "passports" made by the Unemployed Philosophers' Guild, for places like Oz, Narnia, The Garden of Eden, etc. Entertaining as all get out, and while not to the level of Rhodia, the paper in the ones I have are not too bad for FPs.

No affiliation, except that I ran across them in a card/stationery/book/novelty shop here in Pittsburgh and they made me laugh. (Oh, and the store I found them ALSO sells a few fountain pens, and Sheaffer and Aurora ink).

OMGGGGGGGGGG i am obsessed with that store now... thank you for showing me it! I went on their website to check it out and its pretty cool and can supply all my nerdy needs.

FieldNotes have several grades of paper depending on the edition. 70lb are fine for FPs. Write Notepads I believe have 70lb in all and good with FPs. Story notebooks are good with FPs. Apacia notebooks are Great! May also find them in some Japanese stores in large cities.

Pocket Mods mentioned above is a simple fantastic pocket note system. Works with any type paper because you use your own printer to make it. I practice with inexpensive paper when I’m picking a new style then use my desired paper. You can even us it without printing once you get the concept.

Other thing to consider a notebook you actually carry in a pocket gets beat up. You might desire a pocket sized FP and in some cases the best solution in a situation is a pocket pencil that works with any notebook.

Be creative, think out of your own mental box/cage, be willing to switch tools for a project or situation.

Pocket Mods actually look pretty cool..

OMGGGGGGGGGG i am obsessed with that store now... thank you for showing me it! I went on their website to check it out and its pretty cool and can supply all my nerdy needs.

Isn't their stuff HILARIOUS? I keep looking at the famous people finger puppets, but can't decide who to get.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ruth for showing me me another site to waste hours looking through. Here's looking at euclid. :)

I like some of the notebooks from Evil Supply company. They sell very cutesy, cartoon villain style things but they have a lot of whimsy and personality! If you use a very wet pen they may not be the best, but they're quick to disassemble and print your own linings on, then reassemble if that's your thing (that's what I typically do)

I like some of the notebooks from Evil Supply company. They sell very cutesy, cartoon villain style things but they have a lot of whimsy and personality! If you use a very wet pen they may not be the best, but they're quick to disassemble and print your own linings on, then reassemble if that's your thing (that's what I typically do)

Oh wow -- some of those are great! I like that they have a place on the back for your last will and testament....

Wonder if my brother needs the killer robot one....

Rad? Color? Leather? Sequins? Refillable? Budget?

We all have our opinions and our preferences are based on many years of doing our own experimentation and culling of the dozens of brands.

Get a Moleskine. Theyre everywhere. Flawed, sure, but a simple and elegant notebook. Fill it up, keep shopping and doing the research. Works fine for most fountain pensrelax, only use the recto side and dont worry about it.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

For an XF nib even for drawing basically any pocket notebook on the market works. Even Moleskine whose paper tends to be hated. I haven’t tried any bad ones yet for fine scribbles. Fat nibs are... another story.

As a Pennsylvania native, I freely admit to a tiny bias in favor of Story Supply. They use nice paper, try to support PA schools, and rural Pennsylvania is not a nice place for creative kids. And they like to team up with PA artists. It’s the good kind of regional pride. I’m not sure offhand where Evil Supply is based, but my understanding is they shoot for similar stuff. And Field Notes seems to try to support creative kids in Chicago too. So the premium you pay usually has some side benefits.

Making your own is very doable, and has pretty low start up costs. Stapler, a ream of paper you like, some cover stock you don’t hate, access to a paper cutter and maybe a corner cutter. If you don’t have access to a paper cutter, it gets a lot more labor intensive. Bone scorers are fairly cheap, but I’m not sure how well they behave with light papers.