Mix And Match Hacks

Mech-for-i

Delike New Moon 3 barrel and cap, with Jinhao 85/86 pen parts swapped in , need to find a shorter converter to fit and the tip of the nib is in real danger of touching the inside top screw in the cap but just barely miss it. Surprisingly handling well but would not work if for someone with large hand

OCP-20211214_151154_DRO.thumb.jpg.8b1e0a9c2dca1f90f127db9e783ab4fe.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• loubapache

• Dip n Scratch

This thread is great. I have a Platinum Carbon Desk Pen. I don't like the long body so I put it in the barrel of a Baoer 3something. It's not the best fit but it travels with my art supplies better. Do you all know of any other bodies and caps that might fit with the PCDP section? The desk pen's cap is really ugly. 

IMG_20211216_162417.jpg

The Hero 616 barrel will fit and looks quite purposeful. And then, as you say, there's that hideous desk pen cap which ruins it. Not found an alternative for that yet.

The new model of Platinum Desk Pen has a different cap. I don't know how good the nib is compared to the Carbon.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Thanks grainweevel and Amanda. This is interesting.

The newer desk pen has a different section. The cap looks slightly better. 

I've not really caught up with the newer model. Is it sold aimed at being used with Carbon Black like the old one? Wondering whether the set up under the hood is the same.

8 minutes ago, grainweevil said:

I've not really caught up with the newer model. Is it sold aimed at being used with Carbon Black like the old one? Wondering whether the set up under the hood is the same.

I don't know.. I wonder, too.

• 3 weeks later...

The worst part of the Jinhao 85 , IMHO , is the arrow clip , it just does not belong , well a simple fix , swap in their clip from a 51a , this is now my de facto goto workhorse that I put iron gall blue black and not worry about drying or flow and flighter us so sturdy it just take the daily abuse 

J85mod.thumb.jpg.d2005b735426459150b4ea9694e0e290.jpg

9 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

The worst part of the Jinhao 85 , IMHO , is the arrow clip , it just does not belong , well a simple fix , swap in their clip from a 51a , this is now my de facto goto workhorse that I put iron gall blue black and not worry about drying or flow and flighter us so sturdy it just take the daily abuse 

J85mod.thumb.jpg.d2005b735426459150b4ea9694e0e290.jpg

I don't suppose you'd be able to post a guide on that?

The clip's the one thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger on it

54 minutes ago, socialmoth said:

I don't suppose you'd be able to post a guide on that?

The clip's the one thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger on it

Both the 51a and the 85 use a Philips screw inside the cap to secure the finale , the inner cap, and the clip, all you had to do is to take a piece of cloth or rubber and hold onto the finale while unscrewing that inner securing screw with a screw driver , and all will come loose .. both model had the same construction but not the same cap , the arrow clip on the 85 demand a deeper opening as you can see on the photo, but the tassie size is the same so just swap the 51a clip in and reverse the step .. made sure to tighten properly the inner securing screw and that's it

Here's a not-very-pretty picture of my Moonman C2 fitted with a Pilot #10 PO nib. I've been using it daily for almost two years now. Lately with Platinum Carbon Black ink.

That's washi tape around the cap, cos I've dropped the pen a coupla times; the washi hides the cracks. 

20220105_002249.thumb.jpg.502fc8cc58e186bee754aa7515488894.jpg

(My other daily is a Nakaya Piccolo fitted with a Pilot #15 PO nib, filled with Noodler's Black.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

This is an amazing thread. Does any one know of any other barrels that would fit the Platinum Preppy besides the Plaisir or Prefount? I have a couple with cracked caps and barrels. But the nib and section are still good. 

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the age old keep cropping up and keep repeating question ( yes I got asked again today )

Can I use the Parker 51 / 61 nib on my Hero ?

well well it's not quite a simple yes and no answer though. While Parker had only one single form factor for their nib , Hero had many ..

So here it goes :

• no , you cannot use the P51/61 nib onto your Hero 100 , but see note below this list
  • no , you cannot use the Parker nib on any 616 or it's variant
  • no , you cannot use the Parker nib on any de-facto current hooded nib like the Wing Sung 601

BUT

• you can put the nib on the Hero 329 / 33x models which also mean
  • you can put the nib onto the vintage model Golden Star / Jinsei model that use this form factor of nib which include the 703, 535 and the much loved 565

385144793_Hero331Parker61nib.thumb.jpg.f9214597124eabfd18d5cb1577298070.jpg

Hero 331 with Parker 61 nib 

NOTE : when I say yes or no I mean ability to put the nib onto the pen without physically hacking the pen parts. To put the Parker nib onto those pens you still need to flatten the index hood as those pens do not had an index notch for it. Further if you had a vintage 50's and very early 60's Hero 100 or a Wolff 100 Hero you can actually put the Parker nib onto them with no fuss

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Selmy Koi is , well, a kind of nice cheap acrylic , many buy into the Koi finish, I like the all white cracked ice better , there are things I do not like about the pen, the cap is kind of rough on the screwing on and the cap band really not quite well finished , the nib is too scratchy ( mine ) , the barrel can unscrew too easily itself - modding time , then ...

Selmy-Loi-Mod-1.thumb.jpg.44513fda9beaaf75e7f2d18285a5fef3.jpg

A Hero 616pus cap with white jewel is pirated for the setup, fit perfectly flush with the barrel ; the barrel end thread had some light coat of vanish added to add grip to the section, a thin O ring was placed on the section thread which screw onto the barrel to buffer and act as sealing against the push on cap , thick silicon paste was applied to the thread to grease the thread and give them further friction, feed is slightly rounded off at the tip and kind of roughen up to accept a vintage 80's " Classic " FM nib which give nice soft writing and gives some line variation

Selmy-Koi-Mod-2.thumb.jpg.9f0f283921caa8d51e78c0f20342dca3.jpg

On 3/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, Mech-for-i said:

Jinhao 86 Mustard with 85 cap modded with 51a ball clip

OCP-20220302_113111.thumb.jpg.1e4f8777115c3938d867dd545e2b737b.jpg

The 51A’s ball clip is much better than that thin strip of metal the 85 uses, very true. 

• 1 month later...

Not much of a hack , it's the Wing Sung 601-II open nib flighter refitted with factory steel section and a vintage Lucky ( Wing Sung export branding ) 14K gold nib

OCP-20220801_090228_DRO.thumb.jpg.33a6d244a77847bfb1aa30c68852f329.jpg

• 3 months later...

Jinhao 51a metal coupler version ( those on acrylic / wood barrel ) , Hero 616plus cap ( white plastic finale ) , vintage 1970's Yonjing 800 domestic market version barrel with hand painted ink drawing 

OCP-20221113_120852_DRO.thumb.jpg.44cbc31d1a0d892c9be496077bb11bd8.jpg

OCP-20221113_120809_DRO.thumb.jpg.3f833f55eb50687b1777e35e849d9952.jpg

Fun fact : while for most concerns , a beautifully executed hand painted barrel would signal a finer grade product and rarer production but this is actually not the case here on the Yonjing 800 , the truth is at the time , setting up and running a silk screen printing setup on the production line would be far more expensive than hiring a pretty sizable team of craftsman doing their arts , usually they are young graduate from art schools and trained on the line by the seniors 

• 5 months later...

This is a Platinum Desk Pen section on a Plaisir barrel. The Desk Pen cap fits but looks like a Sharpie.  The Plaisir cap doesn't fit on the Desk Pen section. But it works for an art pen that can travel. I think it looks pretty nice. The cap posts. 

deskplaisir.jpg