Mix And Match Hacks

Mech-for-i

finding another way to re-use my Hero 3022 pen portion, now mated to the Delike New Moon 3 Barrel & Cap, made for a pen 38g ( 23.8 uncapped, and un inked ) at 112mm un capped, its just long enough for me to use it uncapped with my Asian size S hand. The pen aesthetic is pretty mice too when uncapped with 48mm length to the section making it rather interesting proportioned ( roughly 55% is barrel and 45% section in length ) and most of all as a hooded nib that section can be fairly used lengthvise , a nice pocket pen it made , not for those with large hand though

49982954013_a0cc18c450_k.jpgDelike New Moon 3 + Hero 3022 , on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• loubapache

• Dip n Scratch

I wonder if this should be here, but now the pen is more Chinese than Japanese, so here goes:

pip1hX0.jpg

Paili 013 nib, Wing Sung 3001 Section and Pilot Metropolitan Body

I've been using my Pilot Metropolitan (actually MR, the European version) for a while. Recently, I realized it started to leak ink to my finger while writing. After a little bit inspection. I realized the section was cracked. I re-purposed the Pilot nib to my other Chinese pens as a mean to upgrade back then. Then either from here or FPN, I read that Pilot 78g and Pilot metro sections are interchangable. However, nowadays the 78g (and even the Chinese genuine ones) are more expensive than the Pilot Metropolitan itself.

Then I got an idea:

I decided to get Wing Sung 3001 (cheapest 78g clone that I could find, $1.5ish for a pen). I replaced, but it was not good in the first place (yup, I have another Pilot MR, too). I also didn't like the golden color.

I used metal polish to convert that colden collar's color to silver, and it sort of worked. Also, trying harder the screws made it fit into the pen properly.

One thing remained for me to fix. The nib. EF was too fine for my taste.

I had a dead Paili 013 / Wing Sung 3013 lying around, and the nib was there to be salvaged.

I merged them all, and here's the result. For only $1.5, I quite like the outcome.

Edited by Ardakilic

• 1 month later...

For a bit of spicing up the solid colour,I had my Delike New Moon ( original version ) Coral Blue pen part swapped for the Midnight Blue version , you can do that to the NM-2 also ( same colour options )

49914913731_bba6f643b6_k.jpgDelike New Moon original version, on Flickr

I bought a Hero 2065 just for the 10K gold nib. This pen is so gaudy I wouldn't want to use it in public. A Jinhao 500 barrel does fit on the Hero's section.

The Hero 2065 has an interesting converter with a tiny spring to break surface tension. I like that.

You can see what I actually did do. Fitted the Hero nib into the Jinhao pen.

I wonder... Is the Hero 2065 made to take the same cartridge as a Hero 359?

There's another Jinhao 500 on the way & there's a Oliver made Indian Fine tipped nib for that......

jinhero.JPG

jinheronib.JPG

• 1 month later...

Speaking of 10K gold nib , there were and there are many variant from various brand , Fuliwn once had a special form factor 10K nib that take 5mm feed ( slim feed ) and here its modded to be placed onto a Hero 5028. I need to shorten ( and also round off the corner to made it more a spoon shape ) the feed to made it fit better but all work well , now a great EDC for even those pesky iron gall ink

50475138493_6da303fb9b_k.jpgHero 5028 upgraded, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Platinum Carbon desk pen lying in a drawer, rejected and near forgotten. I was looking at it again, and thought the section threads didn't look a million miles away from a Jinhao 51a connector. I had a barrel and cap from a 51a I had mangled. Would they fit?

50517779267_354c7555f0_o.jpg

No they would not. But the barrel and cap from the second 51a I just bought, slightly wider in diameter, did.

50517611056_52e3589e55_o.jpg

There we are, an interesting combination of near-elegance and flashy training shoe. The only hiccup is a step behind the threads that the barrel won't fit over, leaving a small gap. A spare o-ring disguises it well enough.

50517611736_ec566601dc_o.jpg

50517780717_fa618f736e_o.jpg

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Slightly OT , but interesting ......... Hero made a lot of pens in the 1980's 90's , many of which are in the classic trio of Black, Burgundy, & Dark Green ( and still do today ) , unlike other Mfr, Chinese fountain pen Mfr usually do not do matched ballpoint or rollerball with a few exception ( usually in gift sets ) and you can expect none of such for the normal day to day workhorse pens like the 616, 329, 241 or so ... and most Hero ballpoint / rollerball are not of their making anyway, they were OEM by Fengwah but there's always an exception - take note the Hero 251 , this is one of the very few ballpoint Hero actually made in house and colour matched with the same trio of colours as the typical vintage ones, though the actual core click mechanism part still bought from Fengwah, the pen and all the other parts are manufactured in house, I pair this with my ( modded for C/C ) Hero 330. It was sold on its own and not particular to any fountain pen model but work decently well for pairing with most.

fpn_1603859742__h251.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 4 months later...

a hack of two Guanleming 961 for the barrel and cap, Hero 6155 section and feed ( modded ) with vintage 80's Wing Sung 200 series 12K gold nib

OCP-20210308_174141_DRO.thumb.jpg.efe9270e397559a88143129b70aca66a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jinhao 100 fun:

1366262040_Jinhao100BW.jpg.0f58a6c5ff01245f8b7951598caf85ec.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

20 hours ago, OCArt said:

Jinhao 100 fun:

1366262040_Jinhao100BW.jpg.0f58a6c5ff01245f8b7951598caf85ec.jpg

Those are really elegant looking 

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

The old vintage Lucky / Wing Sung 14K nib not exactly no.5 sized , but it can be fitted to the LIY ( Liveinyou ) Journey , a model that come out after the change of owner and the first model that use their in house branded nib which I find rather unsatisfactory in execution

51110394762_93b9a75bcc_o.jpgLIY-Journey, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

Moonman's no.5 form factor tend to be not a bit of trouble if you try to fit a Jowo or Bock or others ; though if you had the older slim form factor aka leaf type Chinese no.5 it can fit without hassle. That form factor is used by a fair wide population of Chinese fountain pen Mfr from Hero to Duke , Jinhao to Kaigelu in steel or variety of gold

Here it is a vintage early 90s "Classics" two tone Medium on a S1

OCP-20210513_155010_DRO.thumb.jpg.59a75bd34810b54b485afd3ba416efa9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a spare nib of the original Kaigelu 316 nib in a Wing Sung 699 and it's a perfect fit.

12 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

I have a spare nib of the original Kaigelu 316 nib in a Wing Sung 699 and it's a perfect fit.

Did you just do a straight swap? I installed one in my Wing Sung 699 but it does not really write properly. It tends to dry out and skip a lot. 

6 hours ago, mixink said:

Did you just do a straight swap? I installed one in my Wing Sung 699 but it does not really write properly. It tends to dry out and skip a lot. 

Yes, I just pulled the nib out and put in the new one. The drying out and skipping may be different things. I'm not sure if you are aware but the Wing Sung 699 is a vac filler. So you need to unscrew the back and pull it out just a little bit to allow ink to flow to the section. There are videos you can find online and I know Goulet pens has a video on vac fillers explaining that. If you align the nib well so that the tines are not too splayed open and the vac filler is not closed, then it should work fine with whatever ink you use. One more note is that the Kaigelu nib is slightly stub like so you need to be careful about using the right angle with the tines. I noticed that if you turn your hand to the wrong angle that the nib does not write well. I believe I remember seeing comments about that on some reviews on the old Kaigelu, like from Mat Armstrong from the Pen Habit. So hopefully that's helpful and works out for you. 

15 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

Yes, I just pulled the nib out and put in the new one. The drying out and skipping may be different things. I'm not sure if you are aware but the Wing Sung 699 is a vac filler. So you need to unscrew the back and pull it out just a little bit to allow ink to flow to the section. There are videos you can find online and I know Goulet pens has a video on vac fillers explaining that. If you align the nib well so that the tines are not too splayed open and the vac filler is not closed, then it should work fine with whatever ink you use. One more note is that the Kaigelu nib is slightly stub like so you need to be careful about using the right angle with the tines. I noticed that if you turn your hand to the wrong angle that the nib does not write well. I believe I remember seeing comments about that on some reviews on the old Kaigelu, like from Mat Armstrong from the Pen Habit. So hopefully that's helpful and works out for you. 

Thanks a lot. I will check those

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 3:31 AM, halffriedchicken said:

I agree that drying out and skipping may be different things. My WS 699 never worked properly : very nice wet flow, but a lot of hard starts problems, those having a tendency to (bleep) me off altogether. Then I swapped the nib for a Kaigelu, but the hard starts didn't really stop. Then I bought a pair of Kaigelu "long knife" nibs (a kind of architect grind) to improve a Kaigelu 316, which it did, and tried the extra one on the WS699 : the pen now writes beautifully, it only has "short" hard starts if I don't use it for 2 weeks. Go figure...

Here's a scan for the 2 pens, sorry for the french gobbledegook, but then it gives you an idea

[Edit] Haha I didn't know that the forum would bleep me off, wasn't so bad but sorry for that 😇

Long_knife_nibs.jpg

Well, guess that tell us sometime its just combo of things together , similar experience here , sometime some combo just work, and some just do not despite individual parts just all working individually

10 hours ago, DrScholl said:

I agree that drying out and skipping may be different things. My WS 699 never worked properly : very nice wet flow, but a lot of hard starts problems, those having a tendency to (bleep) me off altogether. Then I swapped the nib for a Kaigelu, but the hard starts didn't really stop. Then I bought a pair of Kaigelu "long knife" nibs (a kind of architect grind) to improve a Kaigelu 316, which it did, and tried the extra one on the WS699 : the pen now writes beautifully, it only has "short" hard starts if I don't use it for 2 weeks. Go figure...

Here's a scan for the 2 pens, sorry for the french gobbledegook, but then it gives you an idea

[Edit] Haha I didn't know that the forum would bleep me off, wasn't so bad but sorry for that 😇

Long_knife_nibs.jpg

Glad your pen works the way you like it. When I first got my 699, mine had some flow issues at first too, which was a bit frustrating, but that problem has gone away and I’m happy with my pen.

46 minutes ago, Mech-for-i said:

Well, guess that tell us sometime its just combo of things together , similar experience here , sometime some combo just work, and some just do not despite individual parts just all working individually

Agreed. YMMV can really mean drastic differences. That’s why I like to read reviews of both spectrums of good and bad to see if there are consistencies in them.