Mix And Match Hacks

Mech-for-i

I heard that the Lamy nib would fit a Wing Sung 3008. I tried it, but the Lamy nib was not a good fit (loose). I wasn't about to bend a perfectly good Lamy nib

I would like to see more 'I wanna be a Lamy Safari' hacks.

Make them look like an 'unlisted' Special Edition that someone made after over-indulgence at Oktoberfest.

Now I wanna play with a Jinhao 599 & fit a different #5 nib.

I have had a Delike Alpha for a long while now. They used to have a EF nib that was completely untipped. I extracted the Delike nib from its feed and inserted a Jinhao #5 nib that was in a Jinhao 500. The Delike is a work pen. The brass body means it has survived being dropped several times & it is actually a better pen than the Kaweco Sport it copies. The Delike is fed on a steady diet of KWZ IG Blue #1 or Diamine Registrar's Ink.

Edited by Dip n Scratch

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• loubapache

• Dip n Scratch

Today I finalize my swapping of barrel / section / cap on the Jinhao 922 and retrofit ( not shown , the photo taken before I start work on the pens )) the Fulin long tipping grind no.5 nib of 0.7 and 1.0mm quasi-calligraphy onto this two pieces. I am thinking about putting the larger no.6 short tipping grind 0.5mm onto one of my PenBBS , still pondering which one .... The ivory and grey 922 just match up perfect as far as colour goes

48791720143_50ae657c69_k.jpgJinhao 992, on Flickr

These combos are so stylish

Reducing my pile of pens. The first is a Jinhao 588.

I think that maybe I ought to get a blue 588 just for it's cap & feed. What do you think?

The second pen is a Yiren 566 in lime-green with the section of a 'demonstrator' 566.

post-22433-0-45786400-1570370392_thumb.jpg

post-22433-0-60898000-1570370674_thumb.jpg

The Jinhao 588 has no window in the barrel.

Edited by Dip n Scratch

• 5 weeks later...

Today I just chance it and finding out that you could put the Jinhao 51A cap onto the Moonman 80 / 80S / 80 mini and it fit perfect ... look like a good replacement for the mini

This week's weekend project , an EDC compact quais-calligraphy rig .. take a Jinhao 51a ( regular edition ) , refit it with the Fulin Qusi-Calligraphy 26mm Long tipping 1.0mm nib , replace barrel with that of a Wing Sung 659M ( lacquered metal ) and ditch the cap for the compact slip on from another Jinhao 51a ( journal edition ) & finally replace the Converter with a more robust one

fpn_1573280162__mam-qc.jpg

140mm capped

123mm uncapped

144mm posted

11mm girth taper to 9.5mm at tip of section

21.7g weight , 14.7g without cap

Edited by Mech-for-i

This week's weekend project , an EDC compact quais-calligraphy rig .. take a Jinhao 51a ( regular edition ) , refit it with the Fulin Qusi-Calligraphy 26mm Long tipping 1.0mm nib , replace barrel with that of a Wing Sung 659M ( lacquered metal ) and ditch the cap for the compact slip on from another Jinhao 51a ( journal edition ; finally replace the Converter with a more robust one

fpn_1573280162__mam-qc.jpg

140mm capped

123mm uncapped

144mm posted

11mm girth taper to 9.5mm at tip of section

21.7g weight , 14.7g without cap

Love it! Looks like a real workhorse.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 4 weeks later...

decent condition P45 Flighter is kind of hard to come by these days ; but well fear not ; new Moonman 80, and a spare Hero 800 Barrel is all you need ..

49175774776_b2cf809071_k.jpgMoonman 80, on Flickr

• 3 months later...

I heard that the Lamy nib would fit a Wing Sung 3008. I tried it, but the Lamy nib was not a good fit (loose). I wasn't about to bend a perfectly good Lamy nib

I would like to see more 'I wanna be a Lamy Safari' hacks.

Make them look like an 'unlisted' Special Edition that someone made after over-indulgence at Oktoberfest.

48779894232_9fe6647526_k.jpg

Winning 607 and M&G AFPM1202 all black, on Flickr .... fashioned with Lamy F and EF nib in black oxide finish

Hero 616 Plus modded

retro styled hooded nib resurgence in vogue certainly is around these last couple of years , Wing Sung take it to the next with the traditional mechanism in 613, then 618 and finally in 601 , while Jinhao, Kaco work their own favor with the new integral feed to work in a totally retro style. Hero come to the game real late though they were the one who actually design the mechanism in the form of the 616 Plus, one thing they forget, is to give us a retro colour option .. well OK there is black but that's more like the default .. so this DIY is to made something old from something new with something old

49744177143_8df1fe270e_k.jpgHero 616 Plus modded, on Flickr

A basic 616 Plus, totally disassembled , Feed had ink channel widen and tuned to accept a vintage 616 19.5 fude nib , this nib is unique in that unlike the 666 nib or any of the current hooded 18.5 spec fude nib which had machine doing the bending on the original 18.5 / 19.5 nib , this one start out with a 21.5mm nib and had the bend stamped so that the nib remain that far from the hood , on the 616 plus which use the now de facto 18.5 spec, equipping the 19.5 fude means it's by its dimension sticking out that bit more from the tip of the hood and that made for the liberty to do more stroke variation without worry of bumping the hood onto the paper - Hood is replaced with a burgundy one from legacy 616 parts bin - Barrel is after market raw polished wood ( red Santalum ) for legacy 616 , I've had it further waxed and oiled - The coupler is physically altered to fit the barrel - Cap is from a current production 616 that I've done up before this project , its been disassembled, polished and re-assembled - Screw piston type converter is retrofitted instead of the included push / pull piston converter

Edited by Mech-for-i

I did fit a Lamy 'M' nib onto the Wing Sung 3008.

Fed up with the rather broad OE Jinhao nib I addressed the problem in several ways.

Bock nib.. Easy-peasy & OT for this thread. My other Jinhao pens were fitted with India made nibs: Wality Fine tip and a Ambitious Medium. Both of these Indian nibs are the 28x6mm India 9 type.

They are made of a thicker gauge metal than a European Bock, which is why I found I could not use a full 35x6mm Kanwrite nib.

The picture is below.

Sorry that I cannot remember what the Jinhao Duofold clone is called. It was several times the price of the X450 but had the same OE nib that I find rather broad for my taste.

Dsc00892.JPG

Penbbs 355 - combined a clear and a galaxy for a galaxy finial, section, and tail cap, but clear barrel and cap.

fpn_1560905813__20190618_174149.jpg

And a custom made Jinhao #6 nib modified into a needlepoint PO nib.

Right now it's got a levenger titanium #6 nib in it though.

fpn_1560906024__20190618_174219.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

And a custom made Jinhao #6 nib modified into a needlepoint PO nib.

Right now it's got a levenger titanium #6 nib in it though.

fpn_1560906024__20190618_174219.jpg

was thinking aout doing a PO myself, any photo showing the tip better if possible

Done up for a young lady ( student ) upon request ; a vintage Yongjiu 800 ( home market version, a derivative variant of Hero 616 ) with a custom build Hero 616 cap ( small clip , and jewel from 616-2 ) , metal pearlescent lacquered barrel from WS6138 ( metal bodied variant of 659 ), vintage Yongjiu EF nib retrofitted , while at it, done an exact 2nd copy for myself

49763220708_6c7c778cbe_k.jpgYongjiu 800 modded , on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

was thinking aout doing a PO myself, any photo showing the tip better if possible

That nib is now with JonathanBarboza (partial trade for a cross peerless london) but good lord do I miss it, as soon as we're finished moving I am going to make myself another.

I was so happy with my absolute needle line that's also nice and wet. It's smooth, too. Well, as smooth as writing with a hypodermic needle can be.

fpn_1560906088__20190618_174416.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

That nib is now with JonathanBarboza (partial trade for a cross peerless london) but good lord do I miss it, as soon as we're finished moving I am going to make myself another.

I was so happy with my absolute needle line that's also nice and wet. It's smooth, too. Well, as smooth as writing with a hypodermic needle can be.

fpn_1560906088__20190618_174416.jpg

What ink did you use for the Bock titanium writing sample? I'm loving it!

Youth 71 circa 1980's modded

Guang Zhou Youth Pen Factory is the full name of the manufacturer, and Youth is a rather famous and quality local pen manufacturer long standing since the 50's and for some fun though the brand name used is YOUTH its almost always referred to as the " Guang Zhou Youth " instead cause just using the term Youth Fountain Pen sound exactly the same as asking for a school kid school pen ( general term ) in the language. Another fun fact with vintage Youth pens is that they always include an ink window from the lowest end junior kid model to the top end model, and yet another is that instead of the classic Black / Dark Burgundy / Forest Green combo of colours Youth always had Black / Red / Grass Green and Teal as their colour options.

49790801938_69b3538414_k.jpgYouth 71 modded, on Flickr

And here's their long running model 71 which was cataloged early 1960's to mid 1990's .. Youth always had a reputation that they made just as good a pen as Hero and the model 71 is no different .. despite being a pen marketed towards junior school kids and sized more like a pocket pen to us ; it had features inherited from their more up market models .. the pen had the usual 4 colour options mentioned and just as their other models use an integral feed and a normal ( in this case sized no.4 ) open nib in a hooded section , the coupler is 1 single piece that fit into that section and had portion that the feed and nib friction fitted into and on the other end elongated to form the ink chamber with a small sac topped to act as sqeeze bulb for the aerometric filling mechanism. Initially the pen had very skinny sharply tapered plastic barrel , but this is replaced with now a brushed steel barrel from a Gui-Guan 310 ( a much later late 1990's up market pocket pen ) that makes it both aesthetically more pleasing but also functionally better balanced, and more robust

This petite pocket pen now comes out

weight 10.0g / 7.6g uncapped & without ink

length 112.7mm uncapped / 123mm capped / 130mm posted ( original barrel will be 10.5mm sorter unposted )

girth 9.65mm at barrel ( gold trim ring ) / 11.25mm at Cap band

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

What ink did you use for the Bock titanium writing sample? I'm loving it!

Iroshizuku syo-ro.

Iroshizuku syo-ro.

Thanks! I've always used it in dryer pens so never got that much depth out of it. Will have to try it in some of my gushers.

Edited by TruthPil

• 2 weeks later...

another hack out of my carelessness , drop my Hero 3022 from 5th floor to the ground and both barrel and cap all ruined but the pen part survives, so parts bin to the rescue and again the F20 prove a good match ... praise standard metric sizing

49791657222_ea4b2a7949_k.jpgHero 3022 + Penton F20 , on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

Guan Le Ming 961 pen portion can easily be adopted to the Wolff 186 Barrel / Cap combo ; and no surprise there, they came from the same factory. while the Wolff 186 use C/C fill and a no.5 nib the 961 use fixed aerometric filling and a unique all its own form factor no.6 , you can actually cross swap their cap between each other. The shown 186 Barrel/Cap is of the version with laser etched Hero logo , unlike the Wolff, the GLM nib had a Medium grind

49928789098_5051ac94fe_k.jpgGLM 961 + Wolff 186 mod , on Flickr