Mix And Match Hacks

Mech-for-i

on further investigation, I've found the 51A acrylic barrel could be used on the Wing Sung 103, and as well the Wing Sung 233, both just be replacing the barrel with that taken off the Jinhao

44478542830_b4d1940bab_o.jpgWing Sung 233 with retrofitted acrylic barrel, on Flickr

That's a very pleasing combination.

Also, it's raised my awareness that more than the 601a have wraparound nibs. Time to window-shop.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• loubapache

• Dip n Scratch

Would the Jinhao 51a barrels fit on the Wing Sung 613?

I got the "yellow" 613 thinking it would be mustard color, but it's more like baby poop tan haha.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

No the 51A barrel will not fit the WS613, what's needed would be a 616 standard sized barrel , 613 pretty much just take any standard size 616 after market barrels , acrylic, or wood.

so here it is, one of the 51A wooden barrel fitted onto a Wing Sung 106

That doesn't look bad either!

The Poor Man's Tomato Pen:

I like the look of the Kingdom Note LE tomato pen, but the next time I have a spare ~150 notes lying around, it's going on a Waterman Carene something that isn't fountain pens. So I ordered a red 'n' gold Jinhao 992 and simply stuck some bits from an old green 992 on it.

post-142141-0-47645900-1545080934_thumb.jpg

Here's hoping it holds up longer. Can I go a step further?

post-142141-0-61258700-1545081058_thumb.jpg

Does the green section

A - improve it?

B - inspire festive feelings?

C - increase the 'Junior's First Fountain Pen' look?

Edited by WarrenB

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

I like the look of the Kingdom Note LE tomato pen, but the next time I have a spare ~150 notes lying around, it's going on a Waterman Carene something that isn't fountain pens. So I ordered a red 'n' gold Jinhao 992 and simply stuck some bits from an old green 992 on it.

PoorMansTomatoPen01.JPG

PoorMansTomatoPen02.JPG

Does the green section

A - improve it?

I just ordered a couple to rip off this idea for some Christmas spirited penmanship next year!

attachicon.gif PoorMansTomatoPen01.JPG

attachicon.gif PoorMansTomatoPen02.JPG

Does the green section

A - improve it?

Definitely inspires festive feelings. These would make great stocking stuffers.

Good job changing the cap finial without cracking it. These pens are so prone to cracking that I've been afraid to try anything like that.

No the 51A barrel will not fit the WS613, what's needed would be a 616 standard sized barrel , 613 pretty much just take any standard size 616 after market barrels , acrylic, or wood.

Any tip on where I can find after market acrylic barrels for the 616? All I can find is the original plastic ones and wooden ones.

Warren, congratulations on the cultivation of a delicious tomato!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

A - improve it?

nicely done I think the answer would be in the affirmative ; I did the same with my Ivory and Grey 992 except I've only swap the barrel around whole.

Any tip on where I can find after market acrylic barrels for the 616? All I can find is the original plastic ones and wooden ones.

Not seeing any lately , there used to be some around but that was quite some years ago , I would guess not many are shelving out the money for a barrel that likely cost double, triple or even quadruple the cost of the pen itself, and I suppose they made better case with the Hero 100 after market barrels.

Here's my upgraded Wing Sung 613. It's sporting the section and cap from a WS601 demonstrator, a spare Wing Sung cursive Fude nib, and a dark green barrel from a Hero 616.

fpn_1545134652__wing_sung_613_hacked.jpg

(Also my cat magnets came today. The magnet on the back makes it a little inconvenient as a pen rest. Thanks for the inspiration, Mech!)

• 3 months later...

Todays experiment : try swapping those nibs around nd see how they work out Lamy vs Chinese ... actually I had to pull the nib off my Lamy Safari Petrol to clean off the solidified residue ( Diamine Ancient Copper ... again ) and I have quite a number of Chinese fountain pen taking the same type of nib so why not ... I take the Lanbitou M nib and fitted it onto the Petrol & guess what it now write smoother and actually smoother than my stock Lamy M nib ... and on tha I also take my Lamy Z50 ( black ) EF and fitted it to my M&G AFPM1202 after the feed observation and found that it had cure that scratchiness by properly spreading the tines to allow the perfect slit ( now it write smooth but wetter than on the Lamy itself )

fpn_1552984132__safari_exp.jpg

In any case I study the feed and found that while the are generally the same there is significant detail difference that made them apart, basically its the feed channel and the wing tab ( that hold the nib ) , the Chinese feed had a less wet flow ink channel feed and the wing tab measure out a tiny teeny bit wider and thus it secure the nibs far more and also push the tines out just that bit more ( could be utilized for good measure both ways ), next try I am going to find myself a Chinese EF nib and cut into it and see if I can fasion some form of hacked flex out of a combo

fpn_1552985317__mg1202z50.jpg

my WSE ( Wing Sung Education ) Wing Sung 572's cap just fail and will no longer cap proper, though the pen part is all working well .. off to the parts bin, and some fiddling around I got this, using the Penton F20 barrel and cap and just put on the pen parts of the 572

fpn_1552986564__f20wse575.jpg

Penton F20 Barrel and Cap + WSE Wing Sung 572 pen part

for some extra, I try some other and found that the barrel / cap set can also be used on Hero 618 and Hero 572 too though I see no reason to replace those rather sturdy build metal

and here's the Hero 618 with this setup

fpn_1552984214__f20h618.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 1 month later...

The Hero 6155 ( white pen ) was fashioned with a black section from the same model , but refitted with a vintage 90's Wing Sung 12K nib from the 20X series ; the Marupen had the open ring / Roll stop from the new Selmy clipless

fpn_1555912085__mod-a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Vikto is not the only one handling the Wing Sung brand these days , the other big player had been WSE ( Wing Sung Education ) and its them whose responsible for all the 300X series .. the 3006 is a nice up to date , slender hooded nib wit nice colours but I think its let down by its still relatively flimsy barrel and the all too loud cap with that knock off Parkerish clip, so I had them a do over with barrel taken from ( also WSE's ) Wing Sung 658 , metal, and lacquered with full length plastic insert made for sturdiness, and replace the cap with one from vintage Hero 442 ;

47821717421_82524ddff9_k.jpg

40855296703_26de89044f_k.jpgWing Sung ( WSE ) 3006 mod, on Flickr

I will likely fashion them with a gold nib down the road to complete the package

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 1 month later...

Delike New Moon 3 seems to evoke mixed reaction , I got a number of them and while the metal barrel and cap is not bad and stand daily use without fuss , I figure I want a bit more length and might be less weight .. so I start to swap around and found that again the Penton F20 ( this time with the solid color version ) fit just exceptionally well, so here it goes with the NM3 pen portion mated to the F20 barrel and cap

fpn_1561638945__nm3mod.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great combination! I'd also like the NM3 to be longer, which I why I didn't buy one. I bet the NM3's metal section makes a nice forward balance to the F20 body.

Delike New Moon 3 seems to evoke mixed reaction , I got a number of them and while the metal barrel and cap is not bad and stand daily use without fuss , I figure I want a bit more length and might be less weight .. so I start to swap around and found that again the Penton F20 ( this time with the solid color version ) fit just exceptionally well, so here it goes with the NM3 pen portion mated to the F20 barrel and cap

fpn_1561638945__nm3mod.jpg

New 2019 Wing Sung 3008 with Pilot style nib with a piston turning knob and mechanism from a Lanbitou 3059 . :)

tOyxFeR.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• 2 months later...

Today I finalize my swapping of barrel / section / cap on the Jinhao 922 and retrofit ( not shown , the photo taken before I start work on the pens )) the Fulin long tipping grind no.5 nib of 0.7 and 1.0mm quasi-calligraphy onto this two pieces. I am thinking about putting the larger no.6 short tipping grind 0.5mm onto one of my PenBBS , still pondering which one .... The ivory and grey 922 just match up perfect as far as colour goes

48791720143_50ae657c69_k.jpgJinhao 992, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

If you dislike the Moonman 3's chromed section and had a Baoer 517 around you can swap in the pen part section all

fpn_1569817382__mm3baoer517.jpg