Mix And Match Hacks

Mech-for-i

well if you get the new / current production 616-2 , you can just swap the cap jewel with a standard small size 616, that would be the easiest way to get what you want for trim on the cap. I think there were only vintage production 616 small that had a gold ( actually TigP ) finished cap.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• loubapache

• Dip n Scratch

well if you get the new / current production 616-2 , you can just swap the cap jewel with a standard small size 616, that would be the easiest way to get what you want for trim on the cap. I think there were only vintage production 616 small that had a gold ( actually TigP ) finished cap.

That's a great idea. The 666 is the same length as the 616-2 and doesn't appear to be wider, so hopefully I can swap the cap jewel.

I'm also going to try to convert it to a cartridge/converter filler, but I'm not sure which method to use for that.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I received the Hero 616-2s. There are some small differences from the (small) Hero 616 but the caps seem to be interchangeable. I was also able to put the Hero 100 cap on the 616-2 just as I was using it on the (small) 616.

The fit and finish of the 616-2 I received are not that great. Maybe the ones I received are fakes but I do not know if they make fakes for the 616-2s. I have not inked them yet so do not know how they write.

On another note, I was never happy with the performance of the Jinhao 911s but the barrel and cap both fit the Hero 612. The 612 is a very good writing pen (smooth, wet, and fine-medium nib size) but the cap is a bit flimsy.

Edited by loubapache

I received the Hero 616-2s. There are some small differences from the (small) Hero 616 but the caps seem to be interchangeable. I was also able to put the Hero 100 cap on the 616-2 just as I was using it on the (small) 616.

The fit and finish of the 616-2 I received are not that great. Maybe the ones I received are fakes but I do not know if they make fakes for the 616-2s. I have not inked them yet so do not know how they write.

Thanks for the update. I agree with you about the 616-2s. Mine has a great nib that's enjoyable to write with, but the pen definitely feels cheap and I think there's even a tiny crack or deep scratch in the hood which looks ugly when ink gets in it. I definitely prefer the larger size 616 since I'm used to Parker 51s.

The Hero 666 fude pen is full-sized and fun to write with, although scratchy at certain angles. It could easily be used as a highlighter.

I would not deny that the 616-2 really feel cheap, and I think the assembly is more to blame than the actual material and manufacturing. Often than not I find them a decent collection of parts poorly put together .. so to speak .. though that really depend on particular batches. This apply to almost all the more recent 616 batches too.

I would not deny that the 616-2 really feel cheap, and I think the assembly is more to blame than the actual material and manufacturing. Often than not I find them a decent collection of parts poorly put together .. so to speak .. though that really depend on particular batches. This apply to almost all the more recent 616 batches too.

I totally agree. The design is tried-and-true and very minimalistic in a good way. The materials seem durable as well. It just seems like they smashed the whole thing together on a assembly line without caring for the condition of the pen. I really wish they would be more careful with the nibs...I'm amazing at how many on Chinese pens in general have misaligned tines right out of the factory. Two out of the three Wing Sung nibs I got last week need some tine work.

So I've got my Hero 666 completely disassembled and ready to do some hacking.

Does anyone have an idea of what converter would fit this pen? I'm going to try cutting the back off of the ink sac and just shoving a converter in, so the converter will have to be wide enough to make a tight seal with the remainder of the sac.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've got my Hero 666 completely disassembled and ready to do some hacking.

Does anyone have an idea of what converter would fit this pen? I'm going to try cutting the back off of the ink sac and just shoving a converter in, so the converter will have to be wide enough to make a tight seal with the remainder of the sac.

It might be a bit disappointing or enlightening depends but pls search for Hero 616 plus, yeah, Hero just release a new 616 , this time with C/C filling ; I have one on pre-order and they should ship out to me soon. I am not sure if its of the standard or the small size but I believe its of the standard size ( same as 666 )

Edited by Mech-for-i

This is certinly more than just mix and match , I've always like to match the Hero 345's all brushed steel with an all chromed appointment, the original nib though is TigP gold finished. Finally I got around and take one of Wing Sung's triumph nib and swap it in, but more to that, I work the nib on a cold roller and bend it nib downward in a slight curve and is in the process to grinding it down to a custom XXF needle point ( sort of like Pilot PO but with a Sailor N-Concord like reverse flat surface on the top ). I have to rework the feed somewhat to allow for the shape and profile and heat set it .. so far with water only, it seems to be working fine.

fpn_1528794529__hero345mod.jpg

It might be a bit disappointing or enlightening depends but pls search for Hero 616 plus, yeah, Hero just release a new 616 , this time with C/C filling ; I have one on pre-order and they should ship out to me soon. I am not sure if its of the standard or the small size but I believe its of the standard size ( same as 666 )

Thanks for the tip! What's the "616 plus" called in Chinese? I'm not finding anything on Taobao.

[update: It's actually called "616Plus" haha.]

The sac is actually so sturdy and holds so much ink that I decided to leave the 666 as is. After I got the tines properly aligned, it's a wonderfully broad writer that could even function as a highlighter in a pinch. Very fun to see a paintbrush stroke's worth of ink pouring out of a fountain pen!

Edited by TruthPil

What's the "616 plus" called in Chinese? I'm not finding anything on Taobao.

英雄大号616钢笔?

Is the 666 not made in Shanghai but in Lishui. Wonder what the difference would be from the new 616 C/C filling.

英雄大号616钢笔?

Is the 666 not made in Shanghai but in Lishui. Wonder what the difference would be from the new 616 C/C filling.

The "plus" isn't for the size, but for a whole new model. Check it out:

TB23biJvwmTBuNjy1XbXXaMrVXa_!!2912164915

TB2551bncyYBuNkSnfoXXcWgVXa_!!2912164915

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.30.53eac9b074K2ck&id=571175083737&ns=1&abbucket=11&sku_properties=2066814:58337404

Well actually I have no idea what's it called in Chinese, when I got message about the pen it was spelled " 616 Plus " with that exact spelling, look like its so anyway and I see that its now found and making it to retail. Next thing I would need to check if old body parts fit ...

Edited by Mech-for-i

Next thing I would need to check if old body parts fit ...

Yes, indeed. Maybe drop in the 666 fude nib (or better yet, the gold nib on the 110!) and switch the cap to a gold one hehe.

29040376708_82dc6fe935_k.jpgDelike New Moon original version modded, on Flickr

I've been wanting to do this one for a while and after finally finding something for the original New Moon section I go about doing it, and now its fully proven after 2 fill of inks exhausted ~ Here's the translucent orange Delike New Moon ( original version ) its a rather nice pen but I've found it too short even for my Asian size S hand to use unposted. The objective then is to find a longer section to fit it and if possible made it look even classier ; and I think I somehow done it.

.. the pen part is now replaced with section / feed / converter from a Hero 5028 ( fountain pen version, not the calligraphy pen ), the feed is then re worked / hacked / grounded to a smaller shape and profiled to fit a vintage late 80s / early 90s Wing Sung 12K nib ( used on some of their 2XX pens )

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 4 weeks later...

I just changed the Hero 829's nib with the Parker's.

And I bought SDN dye for resin on Amazon Japan and stained the Hero 249-1 demonstrator, Wing Sung 618 demonstrator and Penbbs 323 ghost plant(cellulose acetate).

I used the brown dye.

65b1cbf7gy1fpi7f9jkr6j20660m8dg8.jpg

Penbbs 323

65b1cbf7gy1fpi7f9kzdbj208j0llwf3.jpg

Hero 249-1

65b1cbf7gy1fpi7f9st24j20ok2aqn1h.jpg

Wing Sung 618

Would it be possible for more details on how you dyed these pens exactly? How long you dyed each pen, anything to look out for, dilutions, etc. Will this process be okay to do for pens I want to ED? I've never dyed anything before but this sounds like an interesting project to look into!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after experiment with the now somewhat seems to re-newed current hooded nib models its inevitable that a mix and match had to be done ... I was thinking of fashioning an Up to Date C/C with a more vintage look .. so here goes ... take the Wing Sung 613, strip it of all outer element, put in an EF nib ( mine happen to be from Wing Sung also ) , then I take real vintage Hero 616 parts I had in stash and slap onto it the barrel and hood / section, both in Hero's Rice Bran Grey color which is more earthy / yellowish / ocrhe like, than Wing Sung's , then take the Jinhao 51A cap and put it on .. Ding Dong ... finished.

42854401505_8c968b3530_k.jpgWing Sung 613 modded, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

sooner or later, if one start to hording pens and parts, one would end up with some pens , parts that do not come complete, and what I did with them is to made a desk pen out of those which can be slotted into my desk top pen stand, one of them is this , which is a very petite one that goes into a integrated ink well / pen stand I used to had in my office ( now stay home ) .. Using the barrel of the Gui Guan 310 and then the section from a Wing Sung 42 together with all the pen parts .. this measure in at 9.6mm girth max and tip to tip 105mm, 87mm if one exclude the nib ; I use it as a dip pen for the tricky inks

fpn_1533514972__desk-pen-01.jpg

The brown pen at the background is a very common hack and well known among many of its home market users. A vintage Wing Sung 271 Roller Ball barrel and cap is mated to a Wing Sung 3001 / 659 or any of its OEM versions. You can even find these on sale by some online retailers, its that popular ... certainly the cap & barrel combo is a vast improvement over the originals, and one can even source yet another 271 Roller Ball to made a pair

fpn_1533967590__ws765steel271mod.jpg