The Lamy 27

MYU

This is a really well done review. Thanks for the enlightenment on an otherwise unknown gem. Too bad the modern 2000 is not offered with so many variations.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• HesNot

• piembi

• tomw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review of a Lamy pen I never heard of before, the 27 reminds me of the original Aurora 88 in looks. Looks like it's an attainable classic, now the big quesiton is where can we find them?

Bill

Thanks! I agree, it does have a slight Aurora 88 look about it. Actually, the Lamy 27 does appear on FleaBay periodically. You may also try searching the eBay.de website (German version). And also MartiniAuctions.com.

Does anyone know how the 'extra-fine' nibs on Lamy 27s perform? Dry Scratchy? Or nice, wet and smooth?

I'd say smooth and of medium wetness. At least, that has been my experience. I've never met a 27 nib that I'd consider scratchy.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 1 month later...
Nice review of a Lamy pen I never heard of before, the 27 reminds me of the original Aurora 88 in looks. Looks like it's an attainable classic, now the big quesiton is where can we find them?

Bill

I would suggest ebay.de (Germany) as well.

You have to be patient, there are not too many and you have to wait some days/weeks for one to be offered. But you can win an auction for less than 20 Euros. I never bid more than 15 Euros for a Lamy 27. Sometimes I am lucky, sometimes not.

Meanwhile I have several all black Lamy 27, one with a metal cap (smoothest writer of all my FPs) and I am awaiting one with a gold cap (10 Euros! :clap1: ).

I really love them, because they are pure function, absolutely reliable and have no snob appeal at all.

It's hard to find better value for your money and the Lamy 27 (as well as the Lamy 2000) is understatement - my pens are for writing ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Darn... you can't edit your old posts anymore? Or is it just posts prior to the last big upgrade?

In any case, I can't correct a small error on my write-up. Lamy is pronounced "LAH-mee", emphasis on 1st syllable.

Hey, MYU, you made me buy a Lamy 27n! Grrrr ...

Thanks!! I really love the feel of this pen, despite it's relative slenderness.

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

• 2 months later...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/27/Lamy27_27m27n-uncapped-t.jpg

Lamy 27n & 27m uncapped comparison

The 27n has an integrated piston screw, while the 27m has a blind cap that reveals the piston screw

I have a Lamy 27b that has the blind cap covering the piston screw but has a plastic cap.

It's the only one with the blind cap so I forget about it frequently. Today I refilled the pen and was shocked when the blind cap came of - only to realise that this is the one with the different filling knob .....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/27/Lamy27_27m27n-uncapped-t.jpg

Lamy 27n & 27m uncapped comparison

The 27n has an integrated piston screw, while the 27m has a blind cap that reveals the piston screw

I have a Lamy 27b that has the blind cap covering the piston screw but has a plastic cap.

It's the only one with the blind cap so I forget about it frequently. Today I refilled the pen and was shocked when the blind cap came of - only to realise that this is the one with the different filling knob .....

Wow, a 27b? I hadn't heard of that model before. What type and size of nib do you have? I wonder if the 27b is the same size as the 27m, given that they both have a removable blind cap. :hmm1:

• 1 month later...

Wow, a 27b? I hadn't heard of that model before. What type and size of nib do you have? I wonder if the 27b is the same size as the 27m, given that they both have a removable blind cap. :hmm1:

Took a while to take the pictures but this is my blind cap Lamy 27 ant the rest of the 27s:

post-7106-1205441692_thumb.jpg

post-7106-1205441714_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Better later than never. ;) Here are some photos of the nib and feed from two Lamy 27's. Removal of the nib is not as difficult as I had first thought. What makes it troublesome is that there is usually some dried ink helping to secure the nib and feed inside the section. It can require some long sessions in an ultrasonic cleaner to break them loose. The general practice is to apply downward pressure on the nib and feed tip, pushing back into the section. The feed (along with the nib) will slide a millimeter or two backward. It may help to use some rubber or a cloth to help get a grip without damaging the nib and continue to apply pressure. Eventually the whole nib and feed slides out.

This is great! Thank you very much. Sounds like the nib exchange of the Lamy 2000.

Yesterday I have won an auction for a red Lamy 27 but the seller was unclear about the nib. It was described as scratchy of some sort. Either the seller does not know anything about oblique nibs or I may want to swap the nib with the nib of one of my two "parts only" 27s. Cleaning the section might be the main problem though.

post-7106-1208078079_thumb.jpg

You're welcome. I have never tried to take apart a Lamy 2000 nib, but based on the design I can see how it should come apart the same way. This is good to know for cleaning purposes.

I saw a burgundy Lamy 27 eBay auction close on April 06th by a German seller, but it was stated as having an F nib. No mention of it being scratchy. Did you get yours from Martini Auctions? The nib size is almost always stamped on the piston screw or blind cap. In some rare cases I've seen examples with no stamping; they've all been USA market pens ("made in germany" is stamped on the barrel).

I've not yet come across a Lamy 27 nib that I'd consider scratchy. I don't know if that is due to the inherent section and feed design doing a great job of protecting the nib, if people are generally careful with these pens, or if I've just gotten lucky. :) I did have one that had a small hint of tooth in one direction and smoothing it on a paper bag did the trick.

Edited by MYU

MYU - nice collection there! Ihad a quick question - the obliques appear to have a bit of line variation but are not, it appears, italics or stubs - does this match your experience with them?

Also - it looks like some of the plastic cap models actually have screw on caps rather than slip caps - can anyone confirm that was how they were made/designed? I prefer the metal caps and a screw cap is a deal breaker for me - but there seem to be more plastic ones floating around in the wild.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I purchased a Lamy 27 from Serpentum earlier today in the sales forum.. It had squarer ends to it and a nonmetallic cap. It was mentioned in one of the posts that it was a later Lamy 27 version. I look forward to getting this pen after reviewing your excellent review. Best Regards, Mark

MYU - nice collection there! Ihad a quick question - the obliques appear to have a bit of line variation but are not, it appears, italics or stubs - does this match your experience with them?

Also - it looks like some of the plastic cap models actually have screw on caps rather than slip caps - can anyone confirm that was how they were made/designed? I prefer the metal caps and a screw cap is a deal breaker for me - but there seem to be more plastic ones floating around in the wild.

Thanks, HesNot. :) "Oblique" on its own is ambiguous, but the usual assumption is that it is italic or stub. These nibs have smooth edges, so they're not italic. I'd say left oblique stub. So yes, there's definitely line variation to be had.

The plastic cap pens are the only ones that screw on. All of the metal ones are slip on. So if you loathe the screw cap, stick with a metal cap. Generally you have 4 choices: Chrome, Lustralloy (plain), Lustralloy with gold accents, or Rolled gold. On auction websites, it seems to me like a roughly 50/50 split between Plastic/Metal caps, perhaps more plastic in some venues. But overall, you can find the metal ones.

As for nibs, medium and fine seem to be the most common. But obliques are fairly easy to find--there's usually a plethora of them on Martini Auctions.

Good luck! :)

I purchased a Lamy 27 from Serpentum earlier today in the sales forum.. It had squarer ends to it and a nonmetallic cap. It was mentioned in one of the posts that it was a later Lamy 27 version. I look forward to getting this pen after reviewing your excellent review. Best Regards, Mark

Congrats on your Lamy 27, Mark. I am familiar with the one you mentioned and you are right--the squarer ends are later production. You might find it labeled as "Lamy 27 30n". These are great pens--very smooth writers. I hope you enjoy yours. ~Gary

Edited by MYU

Thanks MYU! I'm looking at a 27m - the one with the blind cap - and an oblique broad nib and lustralloy cap. Price is a tad higher than I'd like but the unusual nib and less common 27m body seems to have the market price up a bit...

Still I don't currently have any broad nibs, but was thinking of adding one for a nice signature pen. I'm mostly an EF/F kind of user, but I had a broad nibbed Parker 21 and I was not crazy about the round broad shape - something more like an oblique stub shape is a lot more appealing.

Unfortunately I bid on an ebay pen that I thought was cool but didn't really think it through and now I have to wait for the end of that auction as I can't really swing both of them - kind of an impulse bid and I'll likely get outbid on it (which would be OK) and not something I usually do...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

You're welcome. :) The 27m is a less commonly found version, but I prefer it because of the slightly wider barrel. Also, the internal piston screw (hidden by the blind cap) has a grooved surface for better grip.

Over the course of the past year, I shifted towards using EF/F nibs more often too. They're generally better for taking notes. But for letter writing, a nice stub or oblique italic is more fun to use, not to mention more impressive for signatures. :)

Pronunciation: Lah-mee, with no special emphasis on either syllable. In my review, I mistakenly said it was pronounced as lah-MEE, emphasis on the second syllable. But this is not correct. Unfortunately, the original post is locked so I can't edit it. :(

Well it's all your fault MYU! I've gone and bought a Lamy 27m ... I am a devoted "51" fan - I have three that are somewhat staples in my collection - but admit that my Lamy 2K has also found a warm spot in my heart and your review convinced me. Mine is blue with lustralloy cap and an OB nib. This will be a real departure for me on a lot of levels... but you make a convincing argument and I still got a better deal than a cedar blue "51" with an OB nib would have cost me in near mint shape! ;)

I'll post more when it arrives...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choice, HesNot. :) The OB nib is a wet writer, but very nicely controlled. I find that it pretty much matches the OM nib on my 2000. And the blue color that Lamy offered with the 27 is a nice shade. There is also a teal, but the blue looks better IMHO. The 27m feels very much like a Parker 51, in terms of size. But the other features are why my Parker 51's don't see much use these days, namely the piston filler mechanism, window, and easily removed nib for deep cleaning.