My $20 Bamboo Pen

penmanila

I've always wanted a real bamboo pen--not just the bamboo-styled ebonite ones--but the susutake ones run to over $1,000 and seem too large and unwieldy besides. So a month ago, I ordered this pen from China through eBay, and it finally arrived today.

I'm happy to report that it exceeded all my expectations--in size, finish, and general quality. It even writes well! (And did I say it cost just $20, shipped?)

The section has threads, but it's actually just a pull-off cap. (I'm sure they already had these sections for other pens and didn't want to remanufacture unthreaded ones--or maybe the threads provide more grip inside.) The makers wisely put thin plastic rings on both cap and barrel to cushion the contact.
The two-tone steel nib is marked HERO, but the pen itself is, of course, unbranded. What I like the most is that it's real, strong, polished bamboo! I love the nodes and the patterns--you couldn't get these if you wanted to manufacture the pen in ebonite or acrylic. And it's bigger than my Agatha and M900!
It's surprisingly comfortable in the hand, and the Hero nib lays down a decent line (it's friction-fit, so I should have no problem replacing this with one of my flexy 14K vintage nibs--can't wait). The only problem I had was that the pen wouldn't suck in ink if I dipped it into the bottle, so I had to pull out and dip the converter itself instead.
Other than that, it's a fantastic pen at $20--I'd easily have paid three times that--so much so that I went back online immediately to order more, only to find it out of stock :( I'll certainly be back to look for more.
Here you go:
27795221399_fbe996dacd_c.jpg
27795219639_4a04850474_c.jpg
27795221269_04322d1858_c.jpg
38863043384_6963a0d145_c.jpg
27795218539_d1c70825ae_c.jpg
27795219599_7972f6f560_c.jpg
24703968497_3ac04c99db_c.jpg
39571549041_ec3aecdc3f_c.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• james3paris

• SoulSamurai

• hari317

Thanks! I found the perfect-sized 14K nib and feed to replace the Hero one with--a set from a Montblanc Noblesse. Not flexy, but a very good fit, and smooth, too!

27797558419_746f364861_c.jpg

Edited by penmanila

That's a nice looking pen. The step looks pretty significant, but it doesn't sound like you had any trouble with it?

I hope that the pen not drawing ink in from the nib isn't a sign of a deeper problem. Please let us know if you have any trouble with ink leaking or the pen drying out overnight or anything.

i actually hold it just below the step (a little lower than pictured above), and it's very comfortable that way. the converter now loads properly from the nib--i guess it just need to be primed ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i decided to play around a bit more with the pen and got a friend who works with furniture to stain and lacquer the bamboo:

39722187601_0ce1d1f804_c.jpg

38824139965_fd19a58f73_c.jpg

25850368988_5a43d70f06_c.jpg

39691175842_e580d226ba_c.jpg

i'm happy ;) was able to order another one of these bamboo pens and may play with that differently.

indeed, i might keep the second one as-is.

It looks good lacquered, but it also looked good "au naturel". Hard to saw which one I prefer.

Very nice, and you're certainly having fun upgrading it. Seeing the picture of you gripping the pen, I don't think I'd be comfortable holding it, but that's a very individual thing.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

yep, that's the one, and that was my seller. shipping from china takes time, but it's free.

I bought one.

I tried to buy one, but alas - they don't ship to my country... so I'll content myself with Ranga's excellent bamboo imitations in acrylic and ebonite...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks! I found the perfect-sized 14K nib and feed to replace the Hero one with--a set from a Montblanc Noblesse. Not flexy, but a very good fit, and smooth, too!

27797558419_746f364861_c.jpg

I recently purchased 2 of these, based on your review...actually got to me in the US very quickly, and it was free...

Did you replace the Hero nib with a #5? any issues with fit over the original feed?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi, Bill--the Noblesse nib had its own feed so I replaced the whole combo for a perfect fit. No issues, writes well. I'm not sure if the Noblesse nib is a #5. It's a very narrow and longish nib.

Edited by penmanila