First Fountain Pen

KARD

Hello,

I'm sure you've heard this question plenty of times, but I'm curious for those who have recently started using fountain pens and their experience. What were you first choices of fountain pens? Which ones did you end up getting and why? I'm currently deciding between the pilot metropolitan, lamy safari and the twsbi eco. Opinion?

I'm about 8 weeks into this as a hobby and interest. I started with a Pilot Preppy (F) and a disposable Pilot Varsity, both around $3. Then I got a Pilot Penmanship (EF), around $7, which is interesting but ended up being too tiny for me.

I then got a Metropolitan (M) and I really, really like it. But I got an itch to see whether I might like a wider nib (Japanese nibs are generally smaller than European ones, so a Japanese M is like a European F). So last week I ordered a two Lamy pens, in M and B, and they'll hopefully arrive soon.

Right now, of the pens I have I prefer the Metropolitan, as it's the best-feeling and best-writing of the 4 fountain pens I have. I am wary of the Lamys that will be arriving just because as a lefty their triangular grip is not ideal for me.

It should not be difficult for you to choose among the three pens you list because they appeal for different reasons. The Safaris are modernist, plastic, and have triangular grips, the Metropolitans are more classic pen-shaped and made of metal, and the Eco needs bottled ink. And the price points are different: I got my Metro on amazon for $11, I think. The Safari and the Eco each cost around $30.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KARD

• LizEF

• PAKMAN

• tvradio

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with the Metro based on value, you get a well tuned Japanese nib and a converter (something which Lamy does not provide free of charge). With the pricing of around thirty dollars with pen and ink, it is nearly unbeatable.

On amazon it's actually $11.50-$13 depending on model.

Or you could get a Euro model on eBay (for $22ish) which takes standard international short cartridges instead of the proprietary Pilot carts sold in models in the US.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

@OP The recommendations so far are all good, tried and tested, reliable beginner pens. Couldn't add more that hasn't been said. However, it would be useful to know a little bit more about your preferences regarding aesthetics (modern/traditional), function (ink capacity/filling system), and price (min/max). Answering those questions would open up far more options (better tailored to your needs) than the three you've mentioned (unless you've already researched the pens and have narrowed it down to the three).

And of course, nothing beats actually trying the pen in a store (if possible) so you can feel it in your hand and better assess if it's the pen for you.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the hobby 😊

Yah, I can't stand how small the section is on the Pilot Metro, but it functions well.

The Eco is solid and comes with a great nib (Jowo) for the price.

It's good you were able to try them out. The Lamy Safari is very reliable and works great with many inks. It's one of the most solid pens out there especially for the price.

Remember... if a nib isn't smooth you can always use a more lubricated ink to smooth it out. Beats micromesh, which is irreversible. My Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink makes a nib write so smooth that sometimes I need to use it with a nib that isn't smooth to start out with...

... BUT.... make sure you have a Loupe (Goulet Loupe is great) so you can make sure the tines are aligned first. It will save you so much grief. All too often a nib OOTB requires a tiny adjustment of the tines to make the pen write substantially better.

Enjoy!

Remember... if a nib isn't smooth you can always use a more lubricated ink to smooth it out. Beats micromesh, which is irreversible. My Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink makes a nib write so smooth that sometimes I need to use it with a nib that isn't smooth to start out with...

... BUT.... make sure you have a Loupe (Goulet Loupe is great) so you can make sure the tines are aligned first. It will save you so much grief. All too often a nib OOTB requires a tiny adjustment of the tines to make the pen write substantially better.

Enjoy!

Thank you for your advice. I had to look up what a Loupe meant and how to align the tines. :)

I guess the only way to find lubricated inks are to try them out yourselves.

Thank you for your advice. I had to look up what a Loupe meant and how to align the tines. :)

I guess the only way to find lubricated inks are to try them out yourselves.

Your welcome. The loupe made my fountain pen life so much easier.

Trying inks out is definitely useful. I recommend buying samples of inks because something may seem perfect, but you never know until you try and often inks that I wouldn't have considered have become favorites of mine, and too many that I thought would be great remain unused.

You can always search here on the forums for what is lubricated. That's what I did and Sailor was an overwhelming mentioned ink. I use Shigure, Miruai, and Kiwa-Guro on nibs that are too toothy or feedbacky for me and they work like a charm.

I have other nibs that are a bit too smooth and require using drier inks like Iron Galls or Noodler's Walnut and there's Pelikan 4001's which are recommended... good for when typical or other inks make a nib too smooth.

But it's definitely more fun to pick out samples of inks you may like instead of blowing money on a bottle you may not use. Trust me, there are inks you will fall in love with and that goes for pens as well, and they may not be what you expect.

As with every newbie I always suggest trying Tomoe River Paper and an Ebonite pen. I started out with Clairefontaine and Rhodia and never used them again after trying Nanami Seven Seas's notebooks. There's a reason why the Nanami Seven Seas Writer is always sold out.... And ebonite is a lovely material that has a grip and warmth to it that acrylic, resin, and metal pens don't have.

Fountain pens can be tricky and a pain in the @$$, but when get the right nib-pen-ink-paper combo nothing else comes close and you'll just want to hold the pen and find an excuse to write with it ;) .

As far as inks go, samples are your friend. There is a TOD (Topic of the day) on wet inks, dry inks, lubricated inks and on different colors....

Amberleadavis, one of the mods has links to all the different colors showing writing samples of each.

Yellow, red, purple, black, blue black, blue, etc.....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

You have to report back, let us know what you decided to buy, and how you like it! :D

LizEF, I got the Lamy Safari in a Fine nip. The tripod doesn't bug me as much as I thought it would. I've been using it for a couple days already writing on my journal and I currently love it. Looking forward to what this hobby has to offer.

Your welcome. The loupe made my fountain pen life so much easier.

Trying inks out is definitely useful. I recommend buying samples of inks because something may seem perfect, but you never know until you try and often inks that I wouldn't have considered have become favorites of mine, and too many that I thought would be great remain unused.

You can always search here on the forums for what is lubricated. That's what I did and Sailor was an overwhelming mentioned ink. I use Shigure, Miruai, and Kiwa-Guro on nibs that are too toothy or feedbacky for me and they work like a charm.

I have other nibs that are a bit too smooth and require using drier inks like Iron Galls or Noodler's Walnut and there's Pelikan 4001's which are recommended... good for when typical or other inks make a nib too smooth.

But it's definitely more fun to pick out samples of inks you may like instead of blowing money on a bottle you may not use. Trust me, there are inks you will fall in love with and that goes for pens as well, and they may not be what you expect.

As with every newbie I always suggest trying Tomoe River Paper and an Ebonite pen. I started out with Clairefontaine and Rhodia and never used them again after trying Nanami Seven Seas's notebooks. There's a reason why the Nanami Seven Seas Writer is always sold out.... And ebonite is a lovely material that has a grip and warmth to it that acrylic, resin, and metal pens don't have.

Fountain pens can be tricky and a pain in the @$$, but when get the right nib-pen-ink-paper combo nothing else comes close and you'll just want to hold the pen and find an excuse to write with it ;) .

I'm getting all excited already thinking about the different inks out there to try. I personally keep a journal so I'm already interested in paper. Nanami Seven Seas notebooks? Something else to look into.

LizEF, I got the Lamy Safari in a Fine nip. The tripod doesn't bug me as much as I thought it would. I've been using it for a couple days already writing on my journal and I currently love it. Looking forward to what this hobby has to offer.

Nice. Glad you like it. I really like my Al-Star EF. Now we need to see a writing sample and a photo. ;)

Ink samples are your friend - cuz it's a whole other rabbit hole inside the fountain pen rabbit hole! :D

• 1 month later...

Late to the party.

I recently returned to fountain pens after a brief 35 year hiatus.

In my limited view there are two paths for a first fountain pen.

1) Buy the cheapest, best pen you can find if you're not sure you're going to stay with it, and are just testing the waters - Jinhao 750.

2) Buy a good quality pen that will last as long as you do if you treat it right, which will become a treasured friend in the future. You can always sell it if the romance fades, for minimal loss. Pelican M200, for example.

Add lightness and simplicate.

My first choice of fountain pen? It was a nondescript $15 Sheaffer. I think it was blue. I no longer have it, and aren't sure where it went.

I got my first fountain pen from my father - a Parker 51. I still write with it. There is just something "special" about writing with a fountain pen.