Scratch Free 3 To 4 Pen Case

sub_bluesy

What are your favorite absolutely scratch free pen sleeeves/cases for multiple everyday carry? Ive been using synthetic suede Omas individual pen sleeves in a clam shell old style grey leatherette Montegrappa box but the spring in the Montegrappa box has broken so its loose now. I want to carry 3-4 pens without worry of scratching when removing and inserting in the pen sleeve. Ive considered the Visconti zip case but the zipper crossing across the cap has me concerned. I picked up a $40 leather 4 pen sleeve but the liner was a little abrasive so I dont use it anymore. Please let me know what all of you pen professionals are using!

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sub_bluesy

• Shannon

• catbert

• praxim

I use the Visconti cases, 2 and 3 pen for carries, a few 12 pen for storage, and am yet to damage any pen of any vintage or manufacture. I was aware of the potential issue when I first bought. My experience with the 2 pen led rapidly to more.

What I most like about the cases, apart from convenience of pen access comapred with most others is that pens do not touch. Pens have metal parts: clips, cases. I am more worried about that than about the plastic zips.

X

I use the Visconti and they are awesome.

I also have a Nagasawa which is a soft leather pen sleeve, Google 'Nagasawa Pen Case' and it will bring up options on eBay and other sites; I did once see something very similar on Levengers site, so they might be worth a look - neither the Nagasawa or the Visconti will damage your pens.

I also had good experiences with both the large and small Mala pen sleeves; I got mine from the http://stores.ebay.co.uk/theobjectshopuk/. The small one is the perfect size for the Kaweco Sport range and the larger one fits my TWSBI Eco/Wing Sung 3008.

Hope this helps

Al

Thanks all! I ended up vearing off course a little and put an order in for a Pilot Pensamble 5 pen roll case. I stumbled on it researching all of the recommended cases and I think it will work pretty good for my purposes. Should be here Sunday!

fpn_1515232913__img_3534.jpg

fpn_1515232927__img_3535.jpg

The Pelikan cases came up as well and looked like a good option too. I’ll be sure to post a review of the pen roll case once it comes in. I seem to transport at least three pens everyday here and there. I really only see myself using the 3 sided holder of the pen roll but, if I’m feeling froggy, I’ll migrate out to the other two pen sleeves in the roll. I’m actually carrying four pens tonight. Hey it’s Friday night and things get crazy lol. The pen roll looks to measure like it will fit in my pants back pocket fairly easily. I only transport the pens for a short distance so rolled and in a pocket should be safe I hope. I can’t really fit the Montegrappa box in my pocket so I’m hoping the pen roll will be even more secure. Will post more ASAP!

I know you've already ordered, but +1 for the Nock. I love mine. Holds three pens and also small sundries (pocket notebook, index cards, carts if that's your pleasure, I keep my earbuds in there as well) all neatly separated in a lightly padded weatherproof case. They come in really neat colors, too.

Yet another Sarah.

I have a silk and velvet charmeuse lined pen pouch that take 3 pens and had an L shaped kiss-lock which made it very handy opening and closing

The Pilot pen roll came in today but I have a bit of a problem. The outside is nice leather and the inside of the roll is actual suede. This is all good news but the lining in each pen sleeve is a sort of nylon and not suede! You dont see this in any of the pictures of the pen roll. When sliding a pen into the sleeve I can hear abrasion of the insert on the pen. Its especially noticeable with rough finish pens like the Lamy Studio. I did about 100 test inserts with a freshly polished silver trim pen and saw some marks but not much. Im not so much concerned with sterling silver pen trim though but plated as I cant really polish out the plated trim. Im not planning to use this pen roll with only inexpensive pens either. It could easily have 5 Omas pens in the roll at any particular time with plated trim. The titanium Paragon really sounds scratchy going into the sleeve! Im assuming Pilot knows what theyre doing though. Thats what I cant make heads nor tails of. I snapped a pic of the sleeve lining so maybe someone on here can chime in about it. My Omas pen sleeves are super smooth with synthetic suede on all sides contacting the pen and have never scratched anything ever. Thats what I was hoping for here.

Thanks all! I ended up vearing off course a little and put an order in for a Pilot Pensamble 5 pen roll case. I stumbled on it researching all of the recommended cases and I think it will work pretty good for my purposes. Should be here Sunday!

Beautiful pen roll.... so tempting!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

The Pilot pen roll came in today but I have a bit of a problem. The outside is nice leather and the inside of the roll is actual suede. This is all good news but the lining in each pen sleeve is a sort of nylon and not suede! You dont see this in any of the pictures of the pen roll. When sliding a pen into the sleeve I can hear abrasion of the insert on the pen. Its especially noticeable with rough finish pens like the Lamy Studio. I did about 100 test inserts with a freshly polished silver trim pen and saw some marks but not much. Im not so much concerned with sterling silver pen trim though but plated as I cant really polish out the plated trim. Im not planning to use this pen roll with only inexpensive pens either. It could easily have 5 Omas pens in the roll at any particular time with plated trim. The titanium Paragon really sounds scratchy going into the sleeve! Im assuming Pilot knows what theyre doing though. Thats what I cant make heads nor tails of. I snapped a pic of the sleeve lining so maybe someone on here can chime in about it. My Omas pen sleeves are super smooth with synthetic suede on all sides contacting the pen and have never scratched anything ever. Thats what I was hoping for here.

And now I'm not tempted AT ALL.... :angry:

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I have some scrap thin synthetic suede laying around. I think I’ll cut some strips to size and put them in the pockets to keep the pen trim from touching the rough section in the sleeves. It’s really a nice pen roll save for the inside of the sleeves. NO idea why Pilot did that. It would have been perfect otherwise!

Did some work to the pen roll today to get rid of the scratchy side of the liner. Its a really nice pen roll minus the liner on one side of the sleeve so I figured I would take some time and make it work like I expected it to in the beginning. I had some left over black Alcantara synthetic suede from doing a headliner in my car so I cut a few pieces to length and width and pressed them in the sleeves using the Visconti Millionaire as a mandrel. Its made of rock so what could go wrong! Now the points that contact the pens are completely scratch free all around and I no longer have to be OCD about the pens inside! The Alcantara inserts dont really make the roll any thicker as they are about the thickness of the existing suede liner. The inserts fill the gap between the abrasive backing and the rolled over suede edge in each sleeve. I highly recommend doing something similar if you get this pen roll unless youre carrying all metal pens with a rough finish I.E. stonewashed Namisu.