Unusual Pelikan 100N

OMASsimo

I recently bought this 100N with an unusually ornate clip. The diamond-shaped end of the clip seems to point to a "Danzig" model. On the top of the cap is written "Pelikan Günter Wagner". I've seen "Danzig" models before but never with such a clip. I hope the Pelikan experts can tell me more about this interesting pen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy New Year!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OMASsimo

• Bo Bo Olson

• penlady

• sargetalon

Post war ('45? ***up to '54 in green ink window..........up to May of '43 when fountain pens were stopped being made an amber window.

Perhaps someone ran into or had an old clip that fit....and prettied up his pen.

Hell of a clip. :thumbup:

There is a rumor I read here somewhere, that the Mayor of Hanover handed over his gold badge of office...many squares of gold; so Pelikan could start making gold nibs.

Of course the Mayor's badge was replaced.............perhaps just a myth....but sounded good..

***Not sure when exactly Pelikan re-started.

Tropen (mostly made for export) sold 50,000 pens for deliver to the British Army within weeks of the end of the war, in the Labor Government refused to allocate resources to Brittan's totally bombed out fountain pen industry....soon after even more pens to the British Army.

I believe MB was able to start soon after the war.

The Original Reform (then a first tier pen) was sent cash in advance by importers right after the war so they could buy supplies.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is one beautifully done pocket clip! I'm green with envy! Too bad there aren't more like it. Thanks for sharing!

Fair winds and following seas.

Clips often broke and got replaced by any other available. Pen was produced after 1949. So for sure not a Danzig pen.

But enjoy the pen and the nib.

Thanks a lot for the super fast response. I had a feeling that it's post 1949 and thus unlikely to be really made in Danzig. However, would you mind filling me in how you dated it?

Yes, it could be a replacement clip. However, it is a very unusual design and fits the cap perfectly. If it was a replacement, I'd expect it to be a plain standard clip of either another Pelikan or something that's very common. There were also Pelikan productions in Portugal and Italy (I think in Milano) and probably other countries. I read that they often used slightly different designs for clips and cap bands. Could it be one of those?

Post war ('45? ***up to '54 in green ink window..........up to May of '43 when fountain pens were stopped being made an amber window.

Perhaps someone ran into or had an old clip that fit....and prettied up his pen.

Hell of a clip. :thumbup:

There is a rumor I read here somewhere, that the Mayor of Hanover handed over his gold badge of office...many squares of gold; so Pelikan could start making gold nibs.

Of course the Mayor's badge was replaced.............perhaps just a myth....but sounded good..

***Not sure when exactly Pelikan re-started.

Tropen (mostly made for export) sold 50,000 pens for deliver to the British Army within weeks of the end of the war, in the Labor Government refused to allocate resources to Brittan's totally bombed out fountain pen industry....soon after even more pens to the British Army.

I believe MB was able to start soon after the war.

The Original Reform (then a first tier pen) was sent cash in advance by importers right after the war so they could buy supplies.

Thanks, and you are right, it's a hell of a clip.:) I think the Montblanc factory in Hamburg was bombed out as one of the few fountain pen productions sites. I'm not sure about Pelikan, but Kaweco restarted their production immediately and was humming as early as 1946.

That is one beautifully done pocket clip! I'm green with envy! Too bad there aren't more like it. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. And I'm sorry you feel envious. Don't worry too much, there are sooo many beautiful pens out there to be discovered.

Right now though we need a clip maker..... ;) I'll take a clone. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ha, we probably could get your Heidelberg museum friend involved to run a production.:) Unfortunately, my cheap Chinese milling machine is quite lousy and not suitable to make the stencils.

Beautifully done. Love the uniqueness of it. Danzig models were produced late in the 1930s. In addition to the diamond tipped clip, they are identified by a single cap band (rather than fluted or the standard 2 cap bands). You can date it by the section It's lacking a step which dates the pen from 1949 onwards, way too late to be part of the Gdansk production. Still a great looking pen. Enjoy it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you very much for the explanation. Yes, it must be clearly after 1949 and can't be a Gdansk model. Have there been any other known variations on the clip that could fit? It could be a replacement taken either from an earlier or a later model. What about Italian or Portuguese productions?

• 2 years later...

Hi...I have a same clip on a same 100N....!!!.. dat should proof they are in tact Danzig clips I Think...

Can you show pictures?

I do not think that it proves that these clips are Danzig (see also reply #2) but two similar pens with a similar atypical clip might be interesting.

Wow, nice! I love the design of that clip... would love to see different clips with ornate designs like that for customizing/personalizing my 100Ns.

The original is naturally an iconic design for sure but sometimes some added ornamentation or even bling in an otherwise standard pen can really make it pop and the clip is a perfect place for that in a 100N as it is user replaceable.

What a coincidence that this old thread resurfaced while I have this pen inked right now. That’s not too likely given the large number of pens I own.

Hi...I have a same clip on a same 100N....!!!.. dat should proof they are in tact Danzig clips I Think...

But this is an almost incredible coincidence! Please share pictures of your pen if you don’t mind. This could help to find out more about this apparently rare model. After the first few replies I accepted that the clip was a replacement because that was common practice. Now it seems very unlikely that there are two independent but identical replacements with such an unusual clip. So, I start wondering again if this kind of pens were for export only or produced in one of the other counties.

I found one more idiosyncrasy. According to this web page https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Nibs/Nib-units-since-1929/index.html the nib looks like the kind produced between 1937 and 1940. This would be in conflict with the section dating it not earlier than 1949. Again, it could be a replacement. But now that we have two examples of this species, we could compare and check. Any additional info on this question would be highly welcome.

Wow, nice! I love the design of that clip... would love to see different clips with ornate designs like that for customizing/personalizing my 100Ns.

The original is naturally an iconic design for sure but sometimes some added ornamentation or even bling in an otherwise standard pen can really make it pop and the clip is a perfect place for that in a 100N as it is user replaceable.

Yes, a little detail like this clip can make quite a difference in appearance. I wouldn’t exactly call it bling compared to current designs. But it certainly adds to a lovely pen which also is a great writer.