Free Restoration Service

siamackz

Hi Sia, the Sphinx arrived the day before yesterday, and I filled the three up last night and tested them out. A thousand thanks! You're so kind, really, and the repairs are excellent. I still can't post any pictures (for some reason - I need to get in touch with a mod), so I can't show you writing samples I'm afraid, but since they were all three filler repairs, I suppose you have all the pictures you need.

I picked up the 3J as my first real risk buy on eBay. The nib was my first 14Ct straightening job, which went as you could see, but the lever box was beyond me. I read up on it as I polished other maintenance skills, but thought it couldn't be done without a new box. And there you are, straightened, and flush to the barrel, and working! So, now, for the first time, I've had the chance to fill it normally (instead of taking the section out and hand-squeezing the sac!), and using it with the flush box (i.e. properly!! :D ) has been fantastic!

The 12VS you posted above: you straightened the nib, checked and fixed the seal and a crack in the helix, and now it fills perfectly and the nib no longer retracts while writing.

The Sphinx, I have to say, you went above and beyond for in buying new tools and stuff to fix it with and making the parts by hand (anyone else following Sia's lovely handiwork should check out his Sphinx pics to see what he had to do for this one)! Amazing. It filled perfectly... and then came pouring straight back out through the nib! I just took the nib and feed out and realigned them and it now works perfectly for the first time, with no leaks from either end, so I guess the nib and feed just got knocked in a bit causing the leak (you saw the strange horizontal cut along the length of the feed, right? I wonder if a. that was original, and b. if it contributed to the feed misalignment and leak. Anyway, your work on it was excellent as with the other two, and it's a lovely writer!

Thanks again!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sia, the Sphinx arrived the day before yesterday, and I filled the three up last night and tested them out. A thousand thanks! You're so kind, really, and the repairs are excellent. I still can't post any pictures (for some reason - I need to get in touch with a mod), so I can't show you writing samples I'm afraid, but since they were all three filler repairs, I suppose you have all the pictures you need.

I picked up the 3J as my first real risk buy on eBay. The nib was my first 14Ct straightening job, which went as you could see, but the lever box was beyond me. I read up on it as I polished other maintenance skills, but thought it couldn't be done without a new box. And there you are, straightened, and flush to the barrel, and working! So, now, for the first time, I've had the chance to fill it normally (instead of taking the section out and hand-squeezing the sac!), and using it with the flush box (i.e. properly!! :D ) has been fantastic!

The 12VS you posted above: you straightened the nib, checked and fixed the seal and a crack in the helix, and now it fills perfectly and the nib no longer retracts while writing.

The Sphinx, I have to say, you went above and beyond for in buying new tools and stuff to fix it with and making the parts by hand (anyone else following Sia's lovely handiwork should check out his Sphinx pics to see what he had to do for this one)! Amazing. It filled perfectly... and then came pouring straight back out through the nib! I just took the nib and feed out and realigned them and it now works perfectly for the first time, with no leaks from either end, so I guess the nib and feed just got knocked in a bit causing the leak (you saw the strange horizontal cut along the length of the feed, right? I wonder if a. that was original, and b. if it contributed to the feed misalignment and leak. Anyway, your work on it was excellent as with the other two, and it's a lovely writer!

Thanks again!

Thank you for this detailed note! It made my day - Im so glad you are happy with the work. Thank you for the trust!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• 2 weeks later...

The nib on this 149 celluloid silver rings from the 1950s seemed to be splayed at the very tip!

fpn_1535042413__069dac06-f3e3-4ed3-b05c-

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Siamack for the awesome nib work.

The 3 Parker 51‘s write like a breeze and the sheafer is smooth as butter.

The ink flow is also perfect. Thank you for the clean up and fine tuning.

Have 2 more pens coming your way soon.

Thanks Siamack for the awesome nib work.

The 3 Parker 51s write like a breeze and the sheafer is smooth as butter.

The ink flow is also perfect. Thank you for the clean up and fine tuning.

Have 2 more pens coming your way soon.

Thanks for the comment, Shan. Im glad youre happy

Thanks so much Mat, these pics absolutely made my day!

Bless your heart Siamackz, continue the great work. I might one of these days send you a MB 12, all it needs is perhaps a bit of silicone grease. The piston is getting a little bit hard to turn when I flll it up with ink. Tried to do a youtube search to see if I could do it myself, but no luck as of yet. But as of now, it still works great, but when filling it up with ink, it isn't as smooth as my 146. I will let you know if it needs a service.

Kind regards,

Andy

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Bless your heart Siamackz, continue the great work. I might one of these days send you a MB 12, all it needs is perhaps a bit of silicone grease. The piston is getting a little bit hard to turn when I flll it up with ink. Tried to do a youtube search to see if I could do it myself, but no luck as of yet. But as of now, it still works great, but when filling it up with ink, it isn't as smooth as my 146. I will let you know if it needs a service.

Kind regards,

Andy

Thanks for the encouragement, Andy!

Another beautiful 42 restored. The owner wanted an O ring instead of cork. Done!

fpn_1537520329__190d8e64-2999-4178-9e08-

fpn_1537498873__img_3173.jpg

Edited by siamackz

• 3 weeks later...

The Fountain Pen Association of India organized a fantastic fountain pen exhibition in Mumbai today!! I was asked to do conduct a short workshop on Restpration 101. Great fun (for me atleast)

fpn_1538927268__347fc29a-a383-4a4f-8c02-

Edited by siamackz