Free Restoration Service

siamackz

thank you siamackz, your photographs are very instructional - a great help for me when i restore my pens.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/6/2020 at 6:13 AM, siamackz said:
On 6/6/2020 at 5:52 AM, Janeiac said:

I havent been able to find a pro to take it.

Youre more than welcome to send it to me if you like. Just drop me a DM and Ill share my address. Be healthy!

I sent two pens. Have you received them? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Brilliant!! Looks like a great save :)

Thank you! 

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Recently restored a bunch of Japanese eyedroppers, check out my restoration notes here - 

• 1 month later...

Hi Siamackz…awesome to see your work and skills. I posted the following on another thread, but here it is again:

I have a Montblanc Boheme where the soft plastic sleeve at the base of the ink unit sits free and moves a bit in either direction, towards and away from the nib unit. The result is the following: When I extend the nib unit all the way out, it gets stuck when I'm trying to screw it back in, because this plastic sleeve snags inside the section. Should it be glued into place instead of being allowed to slide around? Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

I also tried the extending and retracting mechanism after removing the plastic sleeve and reassembling the nib unit and it seems to work fine, without any rattle inside the front section.

Look forward to hearing from you!

21 hours ago, Bunsan said:

Hi Siamackz…awesome to see your work and skills. I posted the following on another thread, but here it is again:

I have a Montblanc Boheme where the soft plastic sleeve at the base of the ink unit sits free and moves a bit in either direction, towards and away from the nib unit. The result is the following: When I extend the nib unit all the way out, it gets stuck when I'm trying to screw it back in, because this plastic sleeve snags inside the section. Should it be glued into place instead of being allowed to slide around? Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

I also tried the extending and retracting mechanism after removing the plastic sleeve and reassembling the nib unit and it seems to work fine, without any rattle inside the front section.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Sorry I missed it, will reply in the other thread!

Thank you Siamackz. Problem was solved. Love seeing the detail you post.

I just got a Sheaffer Snorkel Triumph, gold plated, almost never used, which needs a new sac, O ring and gasket, as they've all dried out.

Can you help bringing it back to life again? 

Thanks very much!

Hi Siamackz, Could you please take a look at this and see if something can be salvaged here, or it should considered spare parts only...

I have today purchased a "back-to-school" vintage pen set of mechanical pencil, rollerball and fountain pen.
This is a Parax set I believe, a German brand, of little renown - on the fountain pen you can see a faded engraving of "Parax" in cursive.
I bought it mostly for the fountain pen, of course, all the rest is just a bonus.

To me, this looked like a nice project for cleaning up and perhaps a tiny bit of restoring a vintage item in a nice set. Price was okay, too.
However, when I got it home and started rinsing the FP, I got some blue ink out of it - and then the whole nib fell off..!! :o
Apparently, it was severely weakened already and just needed a li'l nudge to break off. Bummer. See pics.

This is where you, the expert, comes in. Can this be salvaged? Should I consider it one of those hard-earned lessons?
Could we get a good, working pen out of it with not *too* much effort?

Please assist, perhaps with advice, perhaps a bit of rebuilding; if you could be so kind...

Stay safe and keep on penning,
Daneaxe

20210529_231739.jpg

20210529_231251.jpg

20210529_231317.jpg

Edited by Daneaxe
Add pics

On 5/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, Bunsan said:

Thank you Siamackz. Problem was solved. Love seeing the detail you post.

I just got a Sheaffer Snorkel Triumph, gold plated, almost never used, which needs a new sac, O ring and gasket, as they've all dried out.

Can you help bringing it back to life again? 

Thanks very much!

Sure, PM me please?

14 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

Hi Siamackz, Could you please take a look at this and see if something can be salvaged here, or it should considered spare parts only...

I have today purchased a "back-to-school" vintage pen set of mechanical pencil, rollerball and fountain pen.
This is a Parax set I believe, a German brand, of little renown - on the fountain pen you can see a faded engraving of "Parax" in cursive.
I bought it mostly for the fountain pen, of course, all the rest is just a bonus.

To me, this looked like a nice project for cleaning up and perhaps a tiny bit of restoring a vintage item in a nice set. Price was okay, too.
However, when I got it home and started rinsing the FP, I got some blue ink out of it - and then the whole nib fell off..!! :o
Apparently, it was severely weakened already and just needed a li'l nudge to break off. Bummer. See pics.

This is where you, the expert, comes in. Can this be salvaged? Should I consider it one of those hard-earned lessons?
Could we get a good, working pen out of it with not *too* much effort?

Please assist, perhaps with advice, perhaps a bit of rebuilding; if you could be so kind...

Stay safe and keep on penning,
Daneaxe

I'm so glad you are trying to learn how to restore pens! This will be a fun journey! But, of course with obstacles - like this one :) You basically need to get that feed and nib remnant out and just find a nice vintage replacement nib of around the same size. The non-branded ones go quite cheap. Can you get the nib out just by pulling the feed? If not you need to knock it out from the back. Does the section unscrew? If not then you need to remove the piston from the back. Why don't you PM me and we can chat more? 

• 2 months later...

Here’s a rather interesting project I just completed... an AA Waterman Twist Filler... here’s the video in can you are interested - 

5 hours ago, siamackz said:

Here’s a rather interesting project I just completed... an AA Waterman Twist Filler... here’s the video in can you are interested - 

I enjoy watching your videos!  You make restoration work look like it’s child’s play.  

8 hours ago, tringle said:

I enjoy watching your videos!  You make restoration work look like it’s child’s play.  

Thank you, that’s very encouraging :) And, I’m glad you find the videos interesting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just restored a bunch of safety fillers, and took a video if anyone is interested in trying to restore similar pens themselves - link

IMG_4655.jpg

Siamack you are a magician. and While I will never attempt these restorations it is a sheer pleasure to watch the videos and see you bring back to life these vintage pens and heirlooms which mean so much to the owners. 

@siamackz Thank you so much for sharing these videos and photos with us. I know that behind the passion is a curious, diligent, determined, brave and smart mind. I admire your courage to take on restoration work for other people's pens. Though I am not afraid to work on the pens I bought to service and restore, I have been hesitant to take on repair work for others, very aware of the burden of responsibilities. I have done only the more basics for others. You must have known that once you accept the challenge, you've gone beyond the point of no return 😀! So when you feel just a little overwhelmed, you know I am cheering for you!👏