Free Restoration Service

siamackz

I love following this post. Your work is amazing and seeing these gorgeous old pens come back from some of the states I've seen here is awe inspiring.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am trying to learn fountain pen repair and would like to thank you for your inspiring posts.

Thank you sir!

I am so glad, thanks for the encouragement!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I love following this post. Your work is amazing and seeing these gorgeous old pens come back from some of the states I've seen here is awe inspiring.

That is truly very encouraging, thank you!

I just restored a beautiful family heirloom - a Montblanc 644 in green striated from the 1950s, passed down from grandfather to the younger generations. It had a broken feed and failed piston seal.

fpn_1583518207__1975ed16-d57f-4af7-9038-

fpn_1583518281__4b75f7ba-7366-4cb2-b7c6-

fpn_1583518347__7fb1e144-17cf-481c-abcd-

fpn_1583518401__7e2e07be-82ca-42a1-9cd6-

fpn_1583518528__e2f01265-5e4f-42e9-a7e7-

These past few weeks have been quite productive! Here is another pen I restored and the owner is quite happy. I had to restore the sac, and I de-oxidized the black rubber.

fpn_1583765546__2b303de5-a675-4f8d-ac3f-

fpn_1583765595__b3078162-e9ab-4646-92b1-

fpn_1583765641__0ff40856-524c-4148-ae78-

fpn_1583765770__1661bbdb-9b14-4191-a242-

I just stumbled upon a couple of stray restoration threads that I started in the past. Since, this PiF thread is turning out to be a a resource for some novice restorers, I thought it would be a good idea to link those threads here so that this PiF thread becomes a one-stop resource.

1. My journey restoring a celluloid 146G (link) - I explain how I opened the section and the filler unit and then restored the cork seal.

2. An MB compressor from the 1920s that I restored recently (link) - I explain how I sourced parts, and de-oxidized the pen

3. A 244 marbled green made in Denmark in the 1940/50s (link) - I explain how to disassemble the simple MB tier-2/3 Kontrolfüller piston

4. A few examples of black hard rubber pens that I re-blackened (link) - I explain the different methods I have tried and the results.

5. Restoring a Sheaffer sterling silver pen's patina (link) - a very cool experiment to help oxidize the silver pen so that its grooves can darken and allow the hatched design to pop!

6. Restoring a 432 stylograph (link) - I explain how I made a new nib/pipette and needle feed for this lovely pen!

7. Restoring a syringe filler (link) - an interesting filling system that I had not encountered before.

8. Restoring a Conway Stewart's C-ring (link)

9. Disassembly of a No. 22 MB (link) - my picture documentation is towards the middle of the first page

10. Not your run-of-the-mill safety pen restoration (link)

Edited by siamackz

Great collection of links. Thank you so very much.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

fpn_1532748115__screen_shot_2018-07-28_a

I have the same problem with a Waterman 0552 that I inherited from my father. I repaired it once with epoxy, but that eventually failed. I tried to "chase" the threads with a thread gauge, which was successful enough to allow the cap to screw on properly. I have attached an image below with the section inserted in the barrel.. Can you provide a more detailed explanation of how you made your repair and where to acquire or how to make the rosin based sealant.? Thanks in advance.

fpn_1584131706__waterman_0552_cracked_ba

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I have the same problem with a Waterman 0552 that I inherited from my father. I repaired it once with epoxy, but that eventually failed. I tried to "chase" the threads with a thread gauge, which was successful enough to allow the cap to screw on properly. I have attached an image below with the section inserted in the barrel.. Can you provide a more detailed explanation of how you made your repair and where to acquire or how to make the rosin based sealant.? Thanks in advance.

fpn_1584131706__waterman_0552_cracked_ba

Hey, I have sent you a PM

Got it. Thanks.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I have a leaky Esterbrook J. It leeks from where the barrel meets the nib. Was wondering if you can fix this issue?

You can PM me for this one.

This was a tricky repair... replacing the piston parts on a 1970s MB 146. Thanks to prior posts on FPN and some advice from expert friends, here’s how I did it..

fpn_1584498232__8eba9800-ec8e-44d8-83d2-

fpn_1584498281__4b05310d-c2e2-4df8-b18c-

Wonderful work... i wish i had access to some restoration services in my part of the world!

Wonderful work... i wish i had access to some restoration services in my part of the world!

Thank you!