• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Fountain Pen Association of India organized a fantastic fountain pen exhibition in Mumbai today!! I was asked to do conduct a short workshop on Restpration 101. Great fun (for me atleast)

fpn_1538927268__347fc29a-a383-4a4f-8c02-

I missed the event unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

It has been precisely a year since I offered my restoration services, and I want to thank the members here for showing me great trust and encouragement by sending in their precious pens!

During this period, I have successfully carried out the re-corking of several safety pens, re-corking of piston seals on MBs and other brands, servicing of MB telescopic pistons, repair of hard rubber cracks, nib straightening, hard rubber de-oxidising, re-sacing, cigarette burn/ teeth marks/ other cosmetic issues on celluloid and hard rubber, syringe filler restoration, broken lever tabs on Waterman pens, C ring lever restoration, Parker vacumatic restorations, MB stylograph nib restorations, Waterman glass cartridge filler restoration, Sheaffer vac-fil restoration, and more. Some of these repairs are documented in the pages of this thread. Some are placed on separate threads I started on FPN.

I also engaged in quality control and tuning of 500+ nibs for an upcoming pen maker.

These learning experiences have allowed me to take my knowledge and skill level much much higher than before I started last year. So, thank you for the opportunity!

I will be accepting free restorations in 2019-20 as well. So feel free to connect with me if I may be of any assistance.

Thank you and happy new year!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting start to the year... I was sent this 1950s 149 for restoration. I dismantled the pen successful only to find that the barrel and cap are hard rubber replacements!! The buyer was not happy!

fpn_1549133021__6c24dce1-d10c-45da-b45d-

Easy one - a lovely split ebonite feed MB 149 from the late 1980s had been sitting idle filled with ink for God knows how long. The owners sister asked me to revive it as a surprise to him! After much cleaning and some nib alignment, this guy is good as new...

fpn_1549562841__cf630538-6d10-49a4-beb9-

Another vac fil restored! Once again I have used the WD40 pipette with success to deliver MEK to the gasket washer.

fpn_1549636203__853bcfbf-a9f5-491d-9b18-

fpn_1549637184__4582e60e-d1ce-4949-bd49-

Wow, it's really kind if you to offer your services for free ❤

I have a waterman 513 with broken lever (missing the lever part) and most likely needs a resac. I'd love for this pen to get some use as it has a lovely semi flex gold nib, but as it's now it's a dust collector 😥

Edited by uceroy

Wow, it's really kind if you to offer your services for free ❤

I have a waterman 513 with broken lever (missing the lever part) and most likely needs a resac. I'd love for this pen to get some use as it has a lovely semi flex gold nib, but as it's now it's a dust collector

I fixed the broken tab off a Waterman lever for an FPN member some time ago

url=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1531071118__screen_shot_2018-07-08_at_110131_pm.png]fpn_1531071118__screen_shot_2018-07-08_a[/url

Im not sure what exactly the problem with yours is but PM me?

Edited by siamackz

Another successful repair. Thank you FPN members for trusting me with your precious pens! This one goes back to Japan after a piston cork seal replacement, nib alignment, and hand polish! I have never come across this large Stephens pen - look at it sitting longer than the 149!

fpn_1549989469__62a0ab18-85c4-4b73-9b32-

fpn_1549989644__f3660a50-4253-4e9c-87f5-

fpn_1549989865__082aa1d5-39b7-4e00-84f3-

fpn_1549989953__b7c23b8d-25ea-4746-9ac6-

fpn_1549989909__44b1ce85-0be1-4b20-ade0-

fpn_1549990201__337f5226-0f65-43da-bbc1-

fpn_1549990010__d8c1e763-0f82-4177-8be8-

Edited by siamackz

This is so beautifully explained. Well done

Well done, siamackz. Keep up the good work. And thank for the great service you are providing to FPN members for free.

Thank you!

I have a Whal Doric that needs restoration. Would you guide me as how to send it to you from accross the border? :D

There is an EMS India Post service in Pakistan, iirc. If you ever need my help, it will be my honour :)

Wow! That was so quick! And thanks for the explanation, that'll help if it develops any other problems. I wondered about getting the back off as I couldn't get any purchase.

It's a big beautiful monster, isn't it!? I'll be doing a review of it on the European board when it comes back... 50s (I think, maybe late 40s) French-made. It was sold to me as a 'Stephens 510', but I haven't been able to read the bit under Stephens on the barrel, and I think the 510 just comes from the nib, which I don't think is the original.

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Wow! That was so quick! And thanks for the explanation, that'll help if it develops any other problems. I wondered about getting the back off as I couldn't get any purchase.

It's a big beautiful monster, isn't it!? I'll be doing a review of it on the European board when it comes back... 50s (I think, maybe late 40s) French-made. It was sold to me as a 'Stephens 510', but I haven't been able to read the bit under Stephens on the barrel, and I think the 510 just comes from the nib, which I don't think is the original.

It is a war time to late '40's pen and probably came with a French steel nib. There was a discussion on them in Goodwriterspens's Blog recently

Edited by peterg

I couldnt find any signs for opening the piston from the back. I wanted to because there was a lot of dried ink stuck inside the piston mech. I had to settle for repeated flushing over a two day period! The piston head does come out the front quite easily though, so accessing the cork seal is easy enough. Also, I used a large piece of cork which means the piston head screw has a long way to screw inside and further tighten the cork if you need more pressure against the barrel walls for a tighter fit. All you need to do is insert a flat head screw driver inside the barrel and turn the head clockwise. And youre set!

Lovely pen. Enjoy! And thank you for your trust!

I couldnt find any signs for opening the piston from the back. I wanted to because there was a lot of dried ink stuck inside the piston mech. I had to settle for repeated flushing over a two day period! The piston head does come out the front quite easily though, so accessing the cork seal is easy enough. Also, I used a large piece of cork which means the piston head screw has a long way to screw inside and further tighten the cork if you need more pressure against the barrel walls for a tighter fit. All you need to do is insert a flat head screw driver inside the barrel and turn the head clockwise. And youre set!

Lovely pen. Enjoy! And thank you for your trust!

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Hi, I'm Mat

It is a war time to late '40's pen and probably came with a French steel nib. There was a discussion on them in Goodwriterspens's Blog recently

Thanks Peter. This one has a lovely springy flexy steel nib. I don't know if 510 is some kind of French nib designation denoting size or something, or if it's the model of the pen.

And I love Goodwriters'! Great blog.

Hi, I'm Mat